Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 8:06:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 11:36:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Springfield makes it but there's something conspicuously missing. Something only Springfield would do...

Oh. Yeah. That.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 11:45:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 3:07:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Review I saw said the magazines had a re-designed follower to get the 15 round capacity and worked fine in his older hi-powers; they are not "extended" at all.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 3:17:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By engineer61:
Review I saw said the magazines had a re-designed follower to get the 15 round capacity and worked fine in his older hi-powers; they are not "extended" at all.
View Quote

They're just MecGar 15rd mags with Springfield's logo on them. MecGar has been making those flush-fit 15's for a long time. I have two I use with my Inglis.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 3:51:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Yumago:
Looks nice. Might have to consider one, once I get my hands on it. Only problem for me is no ambi safety since I am a lefty
View Quote

I'm a southpaw as well.

If SA puts an ambi on this classic repro model. they'll have a quick sale off me. Wish us luck.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 1:20:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm interested to see if they make a two-tone, similar to the Practical model or even add a rail on future editions.  I love the BHP!
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 5:07:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scrapple] [#8]
Will there be a railed version? That would be a great addition, I think.

The BHP could become another M1911-like customizable platform, to include a railed version, maybe a "commander" length barreled version... I can really see this going places, and I'm highly considering getting into the platform.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 2:42:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Scrapple:

The BHP could become another M1911-like customizable platform, to include a railed version, maybe a "commander" length barreled version... I can really see this going places, and I'm highly considering getting into the platform.
View Quote

Unconfirmed, but there are many expressing interest in that very thing. The way SA sells a shitload of variants of the 1911 and the apparent popularity of the new basic model bodes well for them doing something similar with the HP
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 12:25:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dump1567] [#10]
Available at PSA for $699 right now.

Now out of stock.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 12:22:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Friend sent me links for two other places that had them in stock and they were selling for around $590.

SO is asking me about Christmas and now seems determined to find one of these for me. But I can't helpt hinking that Springfield is gonna come out with other models..... 2 tone, stainless, railed.....

If SO is gonna fill a hole in my armory then I think I would like it to be a little more modern version.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 7:00:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By urbanredneck:
Friend sent me links for two other places that had them in stock and they were selling for around $590.

SO is asking me about Christmas and now seems determined to find one of these for me. But I can't helpt hinking that Springfield is gonna come out with other models..... 2 tone, stainless, railed.....

If SO is gonna fill a hole in my armory then I think I would like it to be a little more modern version.
View Quote

A Stainless and two-tone version would be nice.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 8:43:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I hope so I just picked one of the up today
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 4:44:30 PM EDT
[#14]
They should  have the manufacturing plant just make this pistol, they are going to sell a shitload.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 7:11:41 AM EDT
[#15]
I want one
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 7:28:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Ya, I didn’t think I would want one, it I do

Recently I’ve been bitten by the retro, nostalgia, all metal gun bug and I think I’m going to have to get a SA35 to cure my ill’s
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 3:32:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Picked mine up this morning from my LGS. It was the only one he got in. Glad I told him couple weeks ago to hold one for me otherwise it would've been gone. He had it marked $629 but sold it to me for $599 plus tax
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 9:34:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dump1567] [#18]
Originally Posted By Nyle_AR15:
Picked mine up this morning from my LGS. It was the only one he got in. Glad I told him couple weeks ago to hold one for me otherwise it would've been gone. He had it marked $629 but sold it to me for $599 plus tax
View Quote

Good deal.  I scored one from PSA.  After tax, shipping, & transfer, I'm over $800 in mine.  Already added a C&S ambi-safety & C&S wide Combat trigger.

Link Posted: 11/7/2021 1:24:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rudukai13] [#19]
Originally Posted By dump1567:

Good deal.  I scored one from PSA.  After tax, shipping, & transfer, I'm over $800 in mine.  Already added a C&S ambi-safety & C&S wide Combat trigger.

https://i.imgur.com/1zlcELO.jpg
View Quote

Ohh more pictures please! Did the ambi safety and trigger require any fitting or basically drop-in? Ambi controls is one thing I’d want as a wronghander.

Is that a new front sight too?

@dump1567
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 1:46:08 PM EDT
[#20]
If you want them you can also get ambi slide stop and ambi mag catch parts:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/475460

https://bhspringsolutions.com/index.php/product/hipower-ambidextrous-tactical-magazine-catch-release-for-hipower-pistols/

Wind up with a HP that’s got classic pistol aesthetics with the fully ambidextrous functionality of a modern duty pistol
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 2:10:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Rudukai13:

Ohh more pictures please! Did the ambi safety and trigger require any fitting or basically drop-in? Ambi controls is one thing I’d want as a wronghander.

@dump1567
View Quote

Yes, the ambi from C&S will require fitting.  C&S includes instructions and shows where on the safety tab that fits behind the sear the area to file down.  With the grips removed, you can look up into the frame and see the tab/file area.  As you try to engage the safety, you can see where this tab is hitting the sear.  It needs to be filed enough to fit behind the sear.  But not too much, as you'll ruin the part (won't block sear if too much filing). I also used the SA safeties spring and de-tent, as the C&S one was too stiff. The biggest pain with this is the constant disassembly & reassembly of the frame components until it's done right.   But if you've fitted a safety on a 1911, you should be able to figure this out.

The C&S wide combat trigger did drop in.  I had to use the trigger return spring from the SA, as the extra power ones sold by C&S weren't giving enough pressure for trigger re-set.

I added a drop of florescent orange paint to the front sight.  

That's it.  Now I just need to go shoot it and make sure everything actually works.

Link Posted: 11/7/2021 2:21:26 PM EDT
[#22]

Yes, the ambi from C&S will require fitting.  C&S includes instructions and shows where on the safety tab that fits behind the sear the area to file down.  With the grips removed, you can look up into the frame and see the tab/file area.  As you try to engage the safety, you can see where this tab is hitting the sear.  It needs to be filed enough to fit behind the sear.  But not too much, as you'll ruin the part (won't block sear if too much filing). I also used the SA safeties spring and de-tent, as the C&S one was too stiff. The biggest pain with this is the constant disassembly & reassembly of the frame components until it's done right.   But if you've fitted a safety on a 1911, you should be able to figure this out.

The C&S wide combat trigger did drop in.  I had to use the trigger return spring from the SA, as the extra power ones sold by C&S weren't giving enough pressure for trigger re-set.

That's it.  Now I just need to go shoot it and make sure everything actually works.

https://i.imgur.com/9otIRIR.jpg
View Quote

Nice!

The SA-35 is a sexy beast and I will have one...
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 5:22:50 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rudukai13:

@dump1567

Absolutely gorgeous. Nicely done!
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 2:24:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By ThePontificator:
Springfield makes it but there's something conspicuously missing. Something only Springfield would do...

Oh. Yeah. That.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/189022/XDGripZone_jpg-2146145.JPG
View Quote

They should make polymer replacement grips with the Grip Zone... I would buy a SA-35 and put those on it! Think what you'd like about the label, but the Grip Zone is actually a really comfortable, yet grippy texture. Makes the texture on the XDM seem lackluster.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 11:42:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dump1567] [#25]
Just got back from shooting mine.  Went through 3 Mec-Gar 15 rounders (including the one supplied) & 1 Mec-Gar 13 rounder without a hitch.  Shooting was with my reloads that are on the light side.  Threw in some 147 gr. HST which also ran fine, but I could feel the bump-up in recoil.  Accuracy was so so at 9 yards, but that was probably me.  You definitely have to get use to the trigger & long trigger reset.  I'm happy with this purchase & might carry it on occasion.

For the pic hounds.

Link Posted: 11/9/2021 3:02:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Just got back from shooting mine.  Went through 3 Mec-Gar 15 rounders (including the one supplied) & 1 Mec-Gar 13 rounder without a hitch.  Shooting was with my reloads that are on the light side.  Threw in some 147 gr. HST which also ran fine, but I could feel the bump-up in recoil.  Accuracy was so so at 9 yards, but that was probably me.  You definitely have to get use to the trigger & long trigger reset.  I'm happy with this purchase & might carry it on occasion.

For the pic hounds.

https://i.imgur.com/eul6N2T.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Pdl5fSN.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/SKBIbOx.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/n9Qymwu.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/kXLS7aZ.jpg
View Quote

That thing is just absolutely stunning
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 3:24:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rbass] [#27]
I really, really hope SA puts out a stainless version of this. I've got BBQ's to attend and need some proper attire.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 7:33:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 7:46:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:

Nice! Maybe I missed it in here but are the sights Novak cut?
View Quote

That I can’t answer.  For my needs, the sights are great after adding the orange paint up front.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 9:53:00 AM EDT
[#30]
I just realized that the front and back straps appear to be smooth.
Hopefully later versions have some checkering added.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 8:36:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pokey074] [#31]

For the pic hounds.

https://i.imgur.com/eul6N2T.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Pdl5fSN.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/SKBIbOx.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/n9Qymwu.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/kXLS7aZ.jpg
View Quote
Holy shit that C&S safety is ugly! I've got one sitting on my bench waiting for an SA-35 to fit it to. Might send it back and use a Browning part instead.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 10:23:43 AM EDT
[#32]
The rear sight is identical to the one on my Girsan MC18, turkish pistol
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 12:53:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Anyone got one in stock somewhere at a reasonable price...?
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 3:13:25 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

Gonna be a while if you’re not willing to pay $1,200 for the privilege
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 10:25:37 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

If knew of one in stock and reasonably priced I would have one.
Put my name on one of 5 the lgs ordered.
It will be a few months I bet.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 11:17:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m24shooter] [#36]
Springfield SA-35 Hi-Power Evaluation Session 1 - BHSpringSolutions Hi-Power University s66

ETA: Print copy of their assessment.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 12:05:27 PM EDT
[#37]
DO WANT!   I will probably have to wait a bit, seems the stocking dealers are selling them [trying to] on gunbroke for nearly double msrp
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 6:15:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Hopefully they break/radius the sharp edges near the top of the grip and beaver tail where the web of your hand goes. That would be the final touch on it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 12:10:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnRippert] [#39]
Originally Posted By dubagel:
Hopefully they break/radius the sharp edges near the top of the grip and beaver tail where the web of your hand goes. That would be the final touch on it.
View Quote

Unfortunately, that area is still sharp as hell. Both the bottom edges and the rear "corner" of the beavertail are quite sharp. Going to stone mine to break and round the edges slightly and cold blue. Especially noticeable when you are swiping the safety off. Took mine to the range today. Other than the sharp edges around the "beavertail" it was quite fine.

Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:19:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By JohnRippert:

Unfortunately, that area is still sharp as hell. Both the bottom edges and the rear "corner" of the beavertail are quite sharp. Going to stone mine to break and round the edges slightly and cold blue. Especially noticeable when you are swiping the safety off. Took mine to the range today. Other than the sharp edges around the "beavertail" it was quite fine.

https://images2.imgbox.com/37/40/2hml9YxB_o.jpg
View Quote

Quite right.
I also wish they would have at least break some of the other edges like the trigger guard is sharp.

I just picked up the one I was on the list for.  $639.99 before tax.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 10:55:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 1:21:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 9:22:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Once they become more available (and @ MSRP) I'll purchase one. I'm glad SA brought this superb pistol back into production after Browning dropped them. As of late I've been carrying one of my Hi-Powers again (Novak Spec Ops from early 90's). Thankfully I still have all the BHP magazines & custom leather holsters I'll ever need. Speaking of magazines, I'm not a fan of the 15rd hollow base follower mag and still prefer the 13rd. And hopefully if the SA-35 takes off and stays afloat Mec-Gar will bring back the 20rd magazines for the new buyers. Time will tell.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 9:56:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Snagged one at the LGS Sunday.  $649.  Looks nice.  Lock up is tight.  Trigger is good by Hi Power standards.  Haven’t done a side by side comparison with my other two HPs (a Browning Mk III and a tweaked FEG).  They had two in stock, consecutive serial numbers.   Almost bought both but didn’t.  Friend of mine bought the other about an hour later.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 5:38:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:
Garand Thumb review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1fNG57ZtFQ
View Quote

Sounds like there are some bugs to work out with regard to the extractor?
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 11:10:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: flock226] [#46]
Originally Posted By Scrapple:

View Quote

FM in Argentina made one previously.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 2:02:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Take some nice photos once you stone and radius the edges, before and after bluing. I’d like to really see how the cold bluing matches the factory finish.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By CPTCARL:

Sounds like there are some bugs to work out with regard to the extractor?
View Quote

And a few other issues I'm hearing for that matter. I'm certain Springfield Armory will work around and correct these early deficiencies. But at the current time the new SA-35 is not equal to a new out of the box FN or Belgian Hi-Power known for it's legendary reliability. Once the bugs and QC is straightened out this is going to be a fabulous pistol.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 8:09:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 8:12:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top