Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2016 3:01:47 PM EDT
So I know the original Springfield Armory closed down in the 60s.

What does the current "Springfield Armory" brand have in common with the original other than the name? (if anything)

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 4:27:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Well the original was a government run arsenal and the current a private company. So name only.

ETA: I visited the original Spfld armory a few years ago, cool museum. Of course getting there you have to go through what looks like a war zone.

Link Posted: 4/8/2016 4:46:00 PM EDT
[#2]
They bought the name fair and square.

But, that is the only direct connection I can think of.

It would be funny if they bought a foreign company, and did a tax inversion.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 5:16:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Just a note to anyone traveling to or near Springfield Mass---

A small part of the original Springfield Armory is run by the NPS as a museam and it is very interesting.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 6:16:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just a note to anyone traveling to or near Springfield Mass---

A small part of the original Springfield Armory is run by the NPS as a museam and it is very interesting.
View Quote

Yes! I went there about 10 years ago - very cool!
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 6:33:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Original Springfield Armory was govt. Closed 1968.
Elmer Balance in Devine TX created commercial Corp shortly after to make m1a  that was bought in 74 by Reese.

Elmer is still in business and a very fun day trip to visit.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 10:42:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Okay, please don't take this as hate on the current SA, I just bought a Range Officer Champion on Thursday, but...  they did not "buy" the name, they just sort of took it and hoped it would stick.  And it has for something like 40 years now, so I'm sure they're happy about that.  

If they were starting up today, they'd just call it Springfield Arsenal...  
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 11:34:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Okay, please don't take this as hate on the current SA, I just bought a Range Officer Champion on Thursday, but...  they did not "buy" the name, they just sort of took it and hoped it would stick.  And it has for something like 40 years now, so I'm sure they're happy about that.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Incorrect.

In 1974, the Springfield Armory name was licensed to Robert Reese, to form Springfield Armory, Inc., a company that manufactures semi-automatic versions of the M14 rifle and M1911 pistol. The company is not located in or near Springfield, Massachusetts and has no direct association with the original Springfield Armory. The current Springfield Armory, Inc., based out of Geneseo, Illinois, manufactures several of its weapons on the exact blueprints and to identical specifications as the original government owned Springfield Armory. Springfield Armory, Inc. has expanded its line of firearms to include modern day sporting rifles and polymer pistols as well as Historical American icons, namely the M14 and M1911.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 11:45:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

But, that is the only direct connection I can think of.

It would be funny if they bought a foreign company, and did a tax inversion.
View Quote

There was no name to buy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top