Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2015 10:08:07 AM EDT
Has anyone had any luck in swapping out their front sight only for a "hiviz" one? I like the one they have for the XDs but mine is a standard XD4".
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:42:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I swapped out both sights for the Tru-Glo T.F.O. sights.  I see no reason you couldn't swap out only the front sight, but unless you can find just a front sight for sale somewhere, you are going to have the rear sights extra.

Several shops will change out sights if you buy the sights from them, but if you are in Fort Worth I've got an XD sight pusher, if you buy them off the internet and can't find anywhere to put them on.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:55:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I swapped out both sights for the Tru-Glo T.F.O. sights.  I see no reason you couldn't swap out only the front sight, but unless you can find just a front sight for sale somewhere, you are going to have the rear sights extra.

Several shops will change out sights if you buy the sights from them, but if you are in Fort Worth I've got an XD sight pusher, if you buy them off the internet and can't find anywhere to put them on.
View Quote

I hear XD/XDM sights are a bear to remove.  I want to put Trijicon HD sights on my XDM but not sure if I will do it myself and definitely don't want any LGS to scuff up my pistol changing out the sights...  
Does the Melonite finish hold up well in a job like this?
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 7:55:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I've had sights changed on 4 Xd's, but they were all done at gunsmiths or places that sell the sights, and I haven't had the finish marred up or become problematic afterwards.

Since those 4, I bought an XD sight tool, but haven't had the chance to use it yet, since the ones I use all the time already have the sights on them.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 10:39:14 PM EDT
[#4]
That's good to know...  I know a pistol is a tool used for self defense and in some cases scratches and scuff marks only show character but I like to keep the majority of my firearms in good condition...  Even though I have built a few AR's, I'm not really comfortable yet with tackling a sight removal on my XDM...
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 8:40:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Those factory sights are gonna be so tight you'll be sorry you tried.   Send the slide off to someone for replacement.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 5:16:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Those factory sights are gonna be so tight you'll be sorry you tried.   Send the slide off to someone for replacement.
View Quote

The rear sights aren't too bad usually, but the front sight will break off from the base, or break your pusher before the dovetail comes off.  The only way to do it, be it gunsmith or otherwise is with a drift punch.  A brass punch will only marr itself up trying to whack that sight out.  I don't know why SA has to put them in so tight.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 8:20:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The rear sights aren't too bad usually, but the front sight will break off from the base, or break your pusher before the dovetail comes off.  The only way to do it, be it gunsmith or otherwise is with a drift punch.  A brass punch will only marr itself up trying to whack that sight out.  I don't know why SA has to put them in so tight.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hammered on a rear sight trying to get a touch of windage adj. once.  Slide was in a huge vice with brass bar jaws.  Custom ground punch.  Never moved.  XD45 has the tightest dovetail ever.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:23:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am one of those prone to tackle any job myself; how else are you going to learn?  In this case, trust me... I don't have experience with sight removal so I will let  the more experienced handle this since every forum I am a member of mentions SA sight removal is a nightmare.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 8:14:10 AM EDT
[#9]
I just had the HiViz sight put into my XD9 Tactical by my local smith.  It works fine with the stock rear, though it is not as bright as some other brands.

Dawson also makes a fiber front that works with the stock rear.

The original owner of my pistol installed one of the original HiViz sights.  He cut the stock front out with a dremel, gouging theend slide in the process.  After about 5000 rounds in my posession, not including however many he put down the pipe, that sight broke in half.

The new HiViz sights have a solid cast fiber in resin, and appear to be much more sturdy.  I was hesitant to buy the same thing, but the new one looks much stronger, and I doubt it will happen again.

I know I am late to this party, but if the OP is anything like me and procrastination rules, maybe this will still help
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 9:40:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is where a sight pusher, and PB blaster shines.  Just make sure it fits right, this is not a job for a punch and a hammer
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:35:22 PM EDT
[#11]
This guy will sell to you and change the sights for you.  When I did mine it was so hard I would not even try again.  If you buy from him it is free installation too.

XD Man

Link Posted: 5/17/2015 11:27:55 AM EDT
[#12]
In retrospect, I should have sent my slide in to a pro familiar with XD.  I had my local gunshop attemp it seeing as I did not own a sight pusher.  It was all but destroyed and front sight actually fell out somehow due to all the fitting that needed to be done.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 11:24:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This guy will sell to you and change the sights for you.  When I did mine it was so hard I would not even try again.  If you buy from him it is free installation too.

XD Man

View Quote

This is ajames, THE xd guy. If I put sights on any of my XDs I will go with James.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 3:43:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I had my LGS change mine out and both the front and back of the slide got chewed up by a dremel. He cut them out.

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 11:53:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for that XD Man link, I've been seeking someone to put night sights on my .45 XDM 5.25.

Hking
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 9:13:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Rumor is that HS Products, who makes the XD's for Springfield uses a 20 ton press to install sights.  They are a pain to change out.  We us punches at work and usually the 2 lb sledge comes out at work when an XD shows up for a sight change.

MAHA
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 12:41:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I swapped the factory FO on a XDM for a thinner Dawson FO. It took the a lot of force to remove the factory sight. I got it out without marring it. With the right tools and some experience it is a doable task.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top