Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2014 5:51:42 PM EDT
I may be behind on this and this subject may have beaten to death already but my question is: Will Springfield put out a full size 5" XDs with 7 or 8rd mags. I know it will compete with the 1911's, but I think it would be an awesome striker fired full size to go along with my XDs 3.3 45.

I love the fit, feel and shootability of my 3.3 with the 7rd mag in and think a full size would be very appealing. I would even settle for 4.5" with a full length grip instead of the extended mag and spacer.

I love my TRP and Champion Operator 1911's, but this would be a definite buy!

Thanks,
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 7:25:46 PM EDT
[#1]
a FULL SIZE  xdS(ubcompact)??
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm fairly certain he wants a full-size single stack

OP, I seriously doubt it. There's no market for a full-size single stack pistol.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:32:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

OP, I seriously doubt it. There's no market for a full-size single stack pistol that's not a 1911.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 9:36:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I think they already do but it is called a Range Officer. Comes with a much better trigger too.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 11:31:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Not sure the "s" means subcompact, more along the lines of "Slim". It may be a pipe dream, but I think it would be awesome if Springfield put out a Full Size "SLIM" striker fired handgun. I think they would sell without question. I'd buy two!
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 8:35:05 PM EDT
[#6]
The problem is there are two groups of people in the handgun market- the folks who recognize reality, that citizen self defense gunfights are over in 3 rounds, and the chuckleheads who act like they're going to war against armed crazed Muslim zombies who won't die unless you shoot them 38 times.

The gun makers are currently catering to the high capacity people.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 9:11:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The problem is there are two groups of people in the handgun market- the folks who recognize reality, that citizen self defense gunfights are over in 3 rounds, and the chuckleheads who act like they're going to war against armed crazed Muslim zombies who won't die unless you shoot them 38 times.

The gun makers are currently catering to the high capacity people.
View Quote

Wow!  I guess the cops
must have really made a big mistake switching from a 6 shot revolver to a high capacity
semi-auto....

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 6:36:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

The "XD-S" is not a single pistol model, just like the XD and XD-M it is a name for the SERIES of pistols. Single-stack/slim. They currently have two models, that share the same frame.
The 4.0" model just started shipping not long ago IIRC. I can't imagine a 5" version, especially on the same narrow frame, but who knows.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 6:07:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I didn't think Springfield ever said what the "S" stands for! Some say Slim, others say Subcompact, while others claim Single Stack.

Personally,  I would like to see a 7 or 8 round 5" model. I really like my XDs .45 as an everyday carry pistol. I also like the longer sight radius of my 5.25" .45. But the double stack makes it a little too bulky for my frame to carry in the summer months.

As a side note, I refuse to carry my XDs with the 7 round mag, as it hangs on the heel of my hand when reloading. I know,  I know, all I have to do is "rip the mag", rather than "drop the mag"...but if bad things happen, I don't want to think about my mag changes.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 6:19:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I didn't think Springfield ever said what the "S" stands for! Some say Slim, others say Subcompact, while others claim Single Stack.

View Quote

Correct me if I'm wrong but it says "XD-S® SINGLE STACK SERIES" on Springfield's website.

From a Guns & Ammo article: " the S in the model name stands for single stack

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 6:24:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but it says "XD-S® SINGLE STACK SERIES" on Springfield's website.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're correct in they say it is their single stack series, but is that what the S stands for? If so, what does the M stand for in the XDM?
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:21:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You're correct in they say it is their single stack series, but is that what the S stands for? If so, what does the M stand for in the XDM?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Modular.

"The “M” stands for Modular.  New pistols have interchangeable backstraps in small, medium and large.  "

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 8:12:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Modular.

"The “M” stands for Modular.  New pistols have interchangeable backstraps in small, medium and large.  "

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Modular.

So, why isn't the XD-s labled as XDM-s? It has interchangeable backstraps, too.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 8:13:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So, why isn't the XD-s labled as XDM-s? It has interchangeable backstraps, too.
View Quote

Ask Springfield. I don't make up the names.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 8:20:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Brother, don't get mad. I'm just saying Springfield has never, to my knowledge, actually made a statement.Gun writers and consumers  have put their own tags on the letters.

It would be easier if they just had numbers!
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 8:39:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Not mad at all.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:00:25 AM EDT
[#17]
I would totally buy one.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:03:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I think having a 4 or 5in model with a fullsize grip (not extensions) would be an option that some would choose to buy.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 2:18:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I like the idea of a competition oriented single stack 5" but I doubt there's enough of a market for it. All the guys that run single stack classes use 19 11 ' s. Then again, maybe there's enough room to create a new market segment. How well do the sig p220's and p239's sell?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:39:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Modular.

View Quote

In XDM, the M stands for Match because of the supposed Match barrel.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:47:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Modular.

This is the standard description Springfield released with the 3.8 Compact, they have since changed it but it is all over the net.

The XD has taken on another design in the XDM Compact. The "M" stands for a Model contour frame, Major grasp slide serrations, Match-grade barrel, and Minimal reset trigger. The XDM has a whole other level in precision. With an incredible attention to detail, no handgun company approaches specification and precision engineering like Springfield Armory.

It is just a letter. It means whatever word Springfield's marketing can fit.. Which has been many. When they gave the pistols to lots of reviewers, they told them Modular, and Modernized etc. No sense trying to pin down what it stands for. We know what the pistols are without the letters.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top