Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2014 10:29:53 PM EDT
Did a search and didn't find this covered yet so here goes...

I have an XD .45 5" that I am using as my HD pistol.  I bought a couple boxes of Hornady Critical Duty ammo and fired a box of it just to make sure it functioned well before a "critical" need would ever arise.  I'm glad I tried it out beforehand!

20 rounds in a box so I decided to load 7 into a mag and then empty it.   Had one FTF about halfway through.  The polymer tip of the bullet hung up on the bottom of the feed ramp.  Then I reloaded the mag with another 7 rounds and again had another FTF after shot #2.  Again, the tip of the bullet hung up on the bottom of the feed ramp and blocked the slide back.  Both times, racking the slide back allowed the round to feed properly.  So I then switched to a different magazine and loaded the remaining 6 rounds.  Again, had a FTF half way through and found the same thing; tip of the bullet hung up on the feed ramp and had to rack the slide to get it to feed.

Stopped by my LGS and he said he had the same problem in his XD .40.  He didn't have any HD ammo in stock so I went off to Gander Mtn and picked up a box of Federal JHP's (230 gr Hydra-shock bullets) and went back to the range.  Followed the same procedure and every round fed like it should have.

Any one else experience this with the Hornady ammo in their XD?

Josh
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:35:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had problems shooting SWC in my XD45 because as the shell is extracted the base would catch the lip of the SWC and hang up.

I bought 500 boolits and had to shoot them one at a time

It seems like the XD mags hold the bullet at a more drastic angle than other pistols. I think it's to help it load better (ironically) because it hits the feed ramp at a better angle. The SWC would load find in my springfield 1911, where the angle of the bullets in the mag are less severe..

Thanks for the heads up though, I'lll be sure NOT to buy those. You should have called Hornady about it, their customer service is exceptional. They would probably have exchanged the upshot bullets for a new product?
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:46:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I think I'll do that!  I still have 2 boxes of them sitting in the safe!

On a related note, the guy at the LGS who also has problems with them in his .40 said that one possible "fix" is to dig the polymer tip out and turn them into a hollowpoint!  Not so sure about that one though...
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:11:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think I'll do that!  I still have 2 boxes of them sitting in the safe!

On a related note, the guy at the LGS who also has problems with them in his .40 said that one possible "fix" is to dig the polymer tip out and turn them into a hollowpoint!  Not so sure about that one though...
View Quote

I definitely wouldn't do that. If hornady dies exchange them I would hang on to them in case you buy a 1911 or other 45 in the future. You can never have too much ammo.pi would call hornady and describe your problem and tell them the LGS won't let you exchange them.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:22:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I never tried that ammo. I'm very happy with my 235 gr +P HST rounds in my XD 45.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Did a search and didn't find this covered yet so here goes...

I have an XD .45 5" that I am using as my HD pistol.  I bought a couple boxes of Hornady Critical Duty ammo and fired a box of it just to make sure it functioned well before a "critical" need would ever arise.  I'm glad I tried it out beforehand!

20 rounds in a box so I decided to load 7 into a mag and then empty it.   Had one FTF about halfway through.  The polymer tip of the bullet hung up on the bottom of the feed ramp.  Then I reloaded the mag with another 7 rounds and again had another FTF after shot #2.  Again, the tip of the bullet hung up on the bottom of the feed ramp and blocked the slide back.  Both times, racking the slide back allowed the round to feed properly.  So I then switched to a different magazine and loaded the remaining 6 rounds.  Again, had a FTF half way through and found the same thing; tip of the bullet hung up on the feed ramp and had to rack the slide to get it to feed.

Stopped by my LGS and he said he had the same problem in his XD .40.  He didn't have any HD ammo in stock so I went off to Gander Mtn and picked up a box of Federal JHP's (230 gr Hydra-shock bullets) and went back to the range.  Followed the same procedure and every round fed like it should have.

Any one else experience this with the Hornady ammo in their XD?

Josh
View Quote

Stick with these. They work fine.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 3:45:37 AM EDT
[#6]
This is why i dont trust pointy self defense ammo. The stupid pointy angle of the serrations always end up getting caught on the feed ramps. Hornaday XTP sucks too.

Whether it be a  Sig 938, TRP, Glock 19, ruger lcp. xds, whatever. None of them feed pointy hollow points reliably. However, theyve all run 100% with rounded off hollow points, like Ranger Ts, Federal HST, Pow'rball and gold dots.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#7]
They aren't called gummy tips for nothing

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:49:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I've fired about 100 rounds of it through mine and haven't had any FTF's.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:16:42 AM EDT
[#9]
never had a problem with critical duties
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:21:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is why i dont trust pointy self defense ammo. The stupid pointy angle of the serrations always end up getting caught on the feed ramps. Hornaday XTP sucks too.

Whether it be a  Sig 938, TRP, Glock 19, ruger lcp. xds, whatever. None of them feed pointy hollow points reliably. However, theyve all run 100% with rounded off hollow points, like Ranger Ts, Federal HST, Pow'rball and gold dots.
View Quote

Mine fed them just fine, same with my S&W, CZ's...
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:35:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I haven't found anything (yet) that my XD won't eat and like it. Still, I use the Winchester bonded PDX1 for defensive carry ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top