Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2010 6:42:32 AM EDT
what is the best 357 ammo for self defense?
Link Posted: 5/8/2010 7:14:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I read somewhere that 125 HP has the best once shot stop record. I think it was from when the 357 was a common duty weapon for law enforcement. I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable will be along shortly to provide more information.
Link Posted: 5/8/2010 7:16:04 AM EDT
[#2]
one that goes bang.

also, one that you can reliability hit at what you aim at.

Link Posted: 5/8/2010 7:34:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I choose Corbon DPX 125 grain
Link Posted: 5/8/2010 8:11:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Any premium 357 Mag HP from 125 to 158 gr should do fine.
I'd worry about accuracy and follow up shots with 357 mag HP rounds before I would stopping power.
Lots of people carry just 38 Sp +Ps in their 357 mags just for the sake of good follow up shots and because they are EFFECTIVE even if they are not full house magnum loads.
Link Posted: 5/8/2010 11:42:53 AM EDT
[#5]
For a full size revolver I'll carry any of the quality 158 grain loads.  For a snub, Speer's 135 Grain Short Barrel Gold Dot load is pretty hard to beat.
Link Posted: 5/8/2010 11:56:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
For a full size revolver I'll carry any of the quality 158 grain loads.  For a snub, Speer's 135 Grain Short Barrel Gold Dot load is pretty hard to beat.

I got some of those to try out in a 3" K frame. My brother tells me they are THE load for snub 357s.
But it's hard for me to pull the trigger on a $1.25 factory cartridge!
Link Posted: 5/8/2010 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I choose Corbon DPX 125 grain

this......its one nasty round

Link Posted: 5/8/2010 3:29:31 PM EDT
[#9]
any thoughts on the winchester 110gr. personal defense round?
Link Posted: 5/8/2010 4:27:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It will definitely work!!! Everybody has an opinion based on what they've read, what they've heard, or what they've done with a round.
If a 9mm Parabellum can put someone under with a 115 gr HP bullet, I'm sure the 357 mag in a good 110 gr HP is going to be just as (if not more) effective.
Link Posted: 5/8/2010 5:56:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not familiar with that one specifically, but the USA 110 grain SJHP is crap as far as I'm concerned. Very noticeable flash even on a bright day, as well as being downloaded to not much over .38 SPL levels.
Link Posted: 5/8/2010 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I had heard for years the 125gr was best. But that was on older technology, (Now the 9mm is accepted a a good round because of newer bulets)

But the 357 sig was designed to give the performance of a 125 gr 357 magnum.

Todays balistics and better designs have changed how we look at bullets.
Link Posted: 5/9/2010 4:43:47 AM EDT
[#13]
I was also looking at the Hornady Critical defense ammo... It looks like it would be a good choice... Now, which round has more stopping power? 375 mag or 45 acp?
Link Posted: 5/9/2010 5:04:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Being an olde fart from the revolver days, I'd say the Federal 125 gr jhp.  When revolvers ruled, this was as close to a death ray as you could get in a handgun.

There was a study published by 2 guys Ed Sanow and Evan Marshall that studied actual shootings and found that load had one shot stops in the high 90% range.

It does recoil and blast a bit.  Please remember we used to qualify––all of us––with this ammo.  I still carry it in my 4 inch magnums and qualified with it in a Smith 640 2 inch.

I can't imaging using it in one of the scandium J-frames though.
Link Posted: 5/9/2010 6:18:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Being an olde fart from the revolver days, I'd say the Federal 125 gr jhp.  When revolvers ruled, this was as close to a death ray as you could get in a handgun.

There was a study published by 2 guys Ed Sanow and Evan Marshall that studied actual shootings and found that load had one shot stops in the high 90% range.

It does recoil and blast a bit.  Please remember we used to qualify––all of us––with this ammo.  I still carry it in my 4 inch magnums and qualified with it in a Smith 640 2 inch.

I remember everyone switching from the 158s to the 125s in the 70s and early 80s.
Even the 140 gr got a big whoop-te-do over the 158s.
One thing about the 357, you need to shoot a lot of the magnum loads if you are going to carry them for self defense.
Accuracy definitely deteriorates on follow up shots because of the recoil IF you haven't practiced with them quite a bit.
One thing about caliber and bullet performance evaluations, there are always relative and not a sure thing.
In the 90s South Carolina State Trooper Mark Coates put 5 out of 6 357 Mag 125 gr HPs center mass into a 300 lb fat man and didn't kill him. Trooper Coates was hit by a single 22 LR from a NAA revolver and died.
The 125 gr 357 Mag HPs were considered THE load for the 357 as far as stopping power back then.
Whatever you intend to carry in your 357 for self defense, train with it a bunch!!!!!!!
Make sure you are just as accurate on the sixth shot as you are on the first.
Link Posted: 5/9/2010 6:26:55 AM EDT
[#16]
100gr power ball from corbon !
Link Posted: 5/10/2010 4:42:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You quoted Marshall & Sanow! and used the word "study" in the same sentence.

Link Posted: 5/11/2010 10:20:40 AM EDT
[#18]
had trouble with winchester silvertips in doble action on both my j frame and taurus 605.  Primer were too tough.  Worked fine in single action.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 8:16:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Ouch I am feeling really old now....
Link Posted: 5/12/2010 8:46:59 AM EDT
[#20]
I've got a a full box of 110JSP Super-Vel(the original load) I can sell ya!
Link Posted: 5/12/2010 1:58:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not familiar with that one specifically, but the USA 110 grain SJHP is crap as far as I'm concerned. Very noticeable flash even on a bright day, as well as being downloaded to not much over .38 SPL levels.

This raises a critical issue. .357 Magnum is one of the flashiest rounds out there, the extreme cases can light your exact position up like a Christmas tree and render you night blind on the first shot. I recall an article done in the 1990s on 8-10 popular loads from 110-158 grain. Flash signature varied drastically between manufacturers, from mild to utterly unsatisfactory for night use. Things have changed over the years and it's really on you to compare a few adequate loads with sufficient performance data and see how they shoot from your gun.
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember everyone switching from the 158s to the 125s in the 70s and early 80s.
One thing about the 357, you need to shoot a lot of the magnum loads if you are going to carry them for self defense.
Accuracy definitely deteriorates on follow up shots because of the recoil IF you haven't practiced with them quite a bit.
One thing about caliber and bullet performance evaluations, there are always relative and not a sure thing.
In the 90s South Carolina State Trooper Mark Coates put 5 out of 6 357 Mag 125 gr HPs center mass into a 300 lb fat man and didn't kill him. Trooper Coates was hit by a single 22 LR from a NAA revolver and died.
The 125 gr 357 Mag HPs were considered THE load for the 357 as far as stopping power back then.
Whatever you intend to carry in your 357 for self defense, train with it a bunch!!!!!!!

A very disturbing video to watch.  It haunts me to this day.
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 4:31:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A very disturbing video to watch.  It haunts me to this day.

I wish everyone could see it who carries. It might wake some people up knowing that no matter how well armed they are, how well they think they are trained, or how well they shoot, they can still die from a measly pea shooter like a miniature 22 LR revolver.
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 4:49:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Any of the 125 grain sjhp loads should work fine, if penetration through barriers is necessary I would go with a 158 grain jhp.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top