Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2017 9:54:21 PM EDT
I've recently developed quite the affection for revolvers as of late. Any chance I get lately to grab one, if I have something for trade or the spare funds I try to work a deal. I went from having zero revolvers to 4 revolvers in less than two months.

Recently I had noticed a Colt Cobra being listed for sale/trade on Armslist in my area. I had sent the guy an email, we had exchanged texts working out a deal for an AR I had built but the deal fell through cause neither of us could ever work out a time to meet.

I saw it listed again, so figured I'd try a second time and I'm glad I did. The guy was asking $650 cash or $700 trade value. I offered him the only AR I had available at the moment, which was a built Aero Precision lower with Spike's Tactical upper, and 16" Ballistic Advantage midlength barrel with Omega X9. Plus, the whole rifle was painted in kryloned. Thankfully, he liked the look of it and we worked out a deal.

Need to figure out when this was made, all I know currently is that it's a second generation. Glad to have added this to my collection. Which I could have gotten as good a deal for this one as I did the one time trading a Taurus TCP plus $10 for a Colt Detective Special.

Also looking at different grips, while the ones on it provide a good grip just aren't aesthetically pleasing to me. A good polishing is also in order as well
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 10:24:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've recently developed quite the affection for revolvers as of late. Any chance I get lately to grab one, if I have something for trade or the spare funds I try to work a deal. I went from having zero revolvers to 4 revolvers in less than two months.

Recently I had noticed a Colt Cobra being listed for sale/trade on Armslist in my area. I had sent the guy an email, we had exchanged texts working out a deal for an AR I had built but the deal fell through cause neither of us could ever work out a time to meet.

I saw it listed again, so figured I'd try a second time and I'm glad I did. The guy was asking $650 cash or $700 trade value. I offered him the only AR I had available at the moment, which was a built Aero Precision lower with Spike's Tactical upper, and 16" Ballistic Advantage midlength barrel with Omega X9. Plus, the whole rifle was painted in kryloned. Thankfully, he liked the look of it and we worked out a deal.

Need to figure out when this was made, all I know currently is that it's a second generation. Glad to have added this to my collection. Which I could have gotten as good a deal for this one as I did the one time trading a Taurus TCP plus $10 for a Colt Detective Special.

Also looking at different grips, while the ones on it provide a good grip just aren't aesthetically pleasing to me. A good polishing is also in order as well
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/394510/IMG_20170808_215212-275322.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/394510/IMG_20170808_215234-275324.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/394510/IMG_20170808_215255-275326.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/394510/IMG_20170808_215313-275327.JPG
View Quote

THAT is just pure-D beautiful! I love those Colt snubbies with that particular barrel profile. I always wanted a 70's-era Detective Special for that very reason.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 10:45:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

THAT is just pure-D beautiful! I love those Colt snubbies with that particular barrel profile. I always wanted a 70's-era Detective Special for that very reason.
View Quote
Thank you, I'm glad to add it to the collection. Just need to fine some more appropriate grips

I always liked snub nose revolver mainly cause my uncle always carried one and would let me shoot it. He was at my house when I got home with it got his stamp of approval so that's all that matters
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 11:33:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought that was indicative of a 3rd generation.   Hmmmmm......  (sorry, I was wrong I guess.  Got it mixed up with Detective Specials)

I would check timing on it too.  

She is a beauty and if it's in time, would be a super great carry gun.  My Colt DS has a super nice DA trigger.  However, mine is out of time and it's not cheap to fix.  I would prefer to carry it over my 442.  Extra round and I can run the trigger faster.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:32:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I thought that was indicative of a 3rd generation.   Hmmmmm......  (sorry, I was wrong I guess.  Got it mixed up with Detective Specials)

I would check timing on it too.  

She is a beauty and if it's in time, would be a super great carry gun.  My Colt DS has a super nice DA trigger.  However, mine is out of time and it's not cheap to fix.  I would prefer to carry it over my 442.  Extra round and I can run the trigger faster.
View Quote
So far everything I've checked on it is reading good. I'm going to keep checking it over since I'm not as learned on revolvers
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 9:49:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Very nice, a sweet carry gun. While I prefer the looks of a nice set of wood grips when I have to shoot the same I tend to end up with rubber Hogue's for the bigger guns and Pachmayr Professional's for the CCW's. I'd probably go with these:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 11:29:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Very nice, a sweet carry gun. While I prefer the looks of a nice set of wood grips when I have to shoot the same I tend to end up with rubber Hogue's for the bigger guns and Pachmayr Professional's for the CCW's. I'd probably go with these:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/169706/pach_d_frame-275645.JPG
View Quote
Was looking at a set of those, but may go to a set of Altaman
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:20:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I hope it's in time for you and shoots good.  My DS has a DA trigger that is better than any other I've fondled.  

That would make a super awesomely great carry gun.  And I'm fond of nickel.....  You don't have a scale handy to throw it on and see how much it weighs, do you?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:13:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I hope it's in time for you and shoots good.  My DS has a DA trigger that is better than any other I've fondled.  

That would make a super awesomely great carry gun.  And I'm fond of nickel.....  You don't have a scale handy to throw it on and see how much it weighs, do you?
View Quote
Actually shopping for one currently cause I was wondering same thing. Cause loaded it only feels slightly heavier than my 442-1
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:10:13 PM EDT
[#9]
It's probably not much lighter.  Or around the same...  It's an aluminum frame, correct?    Wiki says yes, so it must be so.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:44:43 PM EDT
[#10]
That is very nice. I am becoming more interested in revolvers as of late.  You should be able to find some factory grips for not to much.

Regards
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:56:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That is very nice. I am becoming more interested in revolvers as of late.  You should be able to find some factory grips for not to much.

Regards
View Quote
I'm same way, used to only ever want Glocks but now I've got more revolvers than Glocks. I blame my uncle, who that's all he owns and has a nice collection himself. If only I can talk him into giving me that Uberti cowboy single action 45LC
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:07:09 PM EDT
[#12]
They are nice little concealable guns those Colts. I almost pulled the trigger on a Colt Cobra that was on GB and within a relative distance from me. I ended up getting a similar DS. The Cobra has an aluminum frame and was rated to withstand a thousand rounds of +p before the frame twisted. I wouldn't take a chance on +p ammo with it since Colt would no longer warranty it. My favorite holster for it was the one made by Bianchi that was suede and had a riveted suede paddle. 
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They are nice little concealable guns those Colts. I almost pulled the trigger on a Colt Cobra that was on GB and within a relative distance from me. I ended up getting a similar DS. The Cobra has an aluminum frame and was rated to withstand a thousand rounds of +p before the frame twisted. I wouldn't take a chance on +p ammo with it since Colt would no longer warranty it. My favorite holster for it was the one made by Bianchi that was suede and had a riveted suede paddle. 
View Quote
I don't plan on firing anywhere near 1k rounds through it, maybe less 500. I still need to get a Detective Special
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:25:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't plan on firing anywhere near 1k rounds through it, maybe less 500. I still need to get a Detective Special
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wouldn't fire any +p through it, your unable to tell or know the round count. Just practice with regular ammo and load it with +p if you so desire when carrying it. Be careful with those title revolvers, they tend to multiply.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:17:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I wouldn't fire any +p through it, your unable to tell or know the round count. Just practice with regular ammo and load it with +p if you so desire when carrying it. Be careful with those title revolvers, they tend to multiply.
View Quote
I meant to say I wasn't going to put any +P rounds through it. Need to stock up on standard 38 Special rounds. Plus my local Cabela's has Hornaday 38Special that isn't +P
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 12:30:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I meant to say I wasn't going to put any +P rounds through it. Need to stock up on standard 38 Special rounds. Plus my local Cabela's has Hornaday 38Special that isn't +P
View Quote
The Hornady 158 XTP loads are standard pressure.  They chrono at 731 FPS out of my Smith M60 and would most likely hit POA in your Colt.
Some of the later D frame Colts were shipped with barrels that were not TDC (top dead center) in relation to the frame and shoot left.  I have a '75 DS that has this affliction. I am trying to find a gunsmith qualified to correct this issue and maybe bob the hammer and convert the gun to DA only for carry.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 12:52:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The Hornady 158 XTP loads are standard pressure.  They chrono at 731 FPS out of my Smith M60 and would most likely hit POA in your Colt.
Some of the later D frame Colts were shipped with barrels that were not TDC (top dead center) in relation to the frame and shoot left.  I have a '75 DS that has this affliction. I am trying to find a gunsmith qualified to correct this issue and maybe bob the hammer and convert the gun to DA only for carry.
View Quote
Thanks for the information.
I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet so hopefully mine won't have that problem
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 2:35:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, we need a range report.  I'm praying you got a good one. That would be a fantastic carry gun.  Looks so good too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top