Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2017 2:29:26 AM EDT
I like double action fast shooting and am looking for something in the size range of a 4" Taurus 94, or the larger 4" S&W 65, steel construction is preferred, either blued or stainless.  Fixed sights are fine as long as the point of impact is close to the aim point.  For me the 65 is a great shooting revolver but it does require bullet casting and reloading.

I have a 6" S&W K-22, it is an older revolver and it is in too good a condition to use for high volume shooting.  But, it is an excellent shooter.  

I'm looking for a high volume, low investment gun, not a collector gun.  It needs to fire reliably using inexpensive bulk ammo.  

A good double action trigger pull is desired, I like to sweep the trigger through its pull smoothly.  Intended shooting style is fast point shooting and some aimed shooting too.  Disassembly, de-burring, polishing, etc. is something I like to do.  Dealing with significant problems is not fun.  Sending a gun back to the factory for work is even less fun.

I have shot two Taurus 94s, one with a probably 2" bbl and one with 4" barrel.   Both were 9 shot and neither would fire all 9 shots on the first revolution of the cylinder.  Ejection was good on both guns.  DA trigger pull stacked up just before firing, this was ok for aimed shooting but not so good for fast point shooting, the intended purpose of the revolver.  Too bad these revolvers do not fire reliably, because the 4" one was sort of close to what I want.

6 shot is fine, but more is OK too.

OK, what do you like for the intended use?

Thanks in advance,

Mike in San Antonio
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:42:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I like my 4" S&W 617.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:28:06 AM EDT
[#2]
First guy nailed it.

The trigger on every 617 I have handled is leaps and bounds ahead of any taurus or Rossi . Not super light (not going to happen on rimfire) but smooth and reliable.

The 617 will cost you some but they hold up well.

Mine is the 10 shot.

To sum up--In rimfire double action revolvers you have about three choices.

1) old K22 and colts which are real nice if you can find them but not really what you would want for every day rough and tumble shooting. Pretty steep investment and not easy to find .

2) S&W 617-good solid gun at a moderate price that has solid resale value .Buy new or shop around for used to save a bit

3) Taurus/Rossi/ Charter arms  type that will save you 30% or better but will not function or hold up as well as the 617 and the resale sucks. Not even "almost as good" . Just way down on quality from the S&W
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:41:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I too vote for the 617.

I have both the 4" 617 and a 6" 17.  My 17 isn't in anywhere near as nice a shape as what you describe your K-22 being in, but it still shoots great.  There's probably been more 17/K-22's ruined by improper cleaning than shooting.  

When I read your wants, the 617 was the first thing that popped into my mind.

My 617 is exactly what I would grab for the kind of shooting you are going to do.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:06:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I confess I also have a very nice, 1958 vintage Model 17 that shoots great and don’t tend to take it out much due to its value. I have other .22’s I like to shoot in bulk. I have a very nice 4” 617, which is a bit pricey now, and a 4” Ruger SP101. The Ruger needed a bit of internal smoothing and the Wolff spring kit, but it is now a very nice .22 and a bit cheaper, lighter and smaller than the 617.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:41:58 AM EDT
[#5]
The Smiths are nice, expensive and hard to find.  Ruger makes the SP101 in 22, nice gun less money and probably easier to find.  That's about it in 22 da revolvers.  Taurus makes one, I personally have had good luck with Taurus, not everyone has.  Not sure what Rossi has anymore.   I believe Charter may also have something, not sure if its a four inch barrel.  The earlier Charters were nice pistols, I'm on the hunt for a three inch Pathfinder in 22.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:43:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like my 4" S&W 617.
View Quote
I have a 6" but the 617 is the answer you seek
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:05:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I got a Stainless Steel Taurus 94 and bought my Son a blued Taurus 94 when he turned 21.  My SS 94 had continual failure to fire.  The cylinder was not machined sqare so the firing pin was missing the rim on a couple of chambers.  My FFL sent the 94 to Taurus through US Postal Service.   Taurus said the revolver springs had been changed but they replaced the cylinder but didn't mention it on the work order.   The Taurus SS 94 has been gtg since I got it back from Taurus.  I bought the SS 94 used so I am satisfied especially considering the price I paid.  The DA trigger has improved and is very shootable in DA.

I also have a S&W Model 18 K frame 4" barrel 22 LR, a cousin to my model 15 38 Special.   My model 18 is to nice to shoot extensively so I agree with everybody else, get a 4" 617.   Inspect the cylinder on your model 94's if you still own them.  My 94 would fire on every chamber on SA but FTF on two chambers every time on DA.   Possibility your cylinder has the same issue as mine and shipping the revolver through the USPS is a lot cheaper than FedEx overnight.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 12:04:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Got my 17-3 mint in box many years ago. It is my go to precision shooter. Unless your older one is stone mint in the box with all tools, shooting it even a ton is not going to wear it that much.
Mine probably has about 60k through it and other than the inevitable turn line is still in great shape.
A friend recently bought a 4" 617 and while I hate both stainless and full lug barrels it shoots very well.
Buy once cry once go for a 617.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:41:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Just read about the 617, yep, that is the ideal gun for me.  

Thanks for the help.

Mike S
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:59:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I prefer the K frame Model 18 myself but I have no doubt you will like the 617.

Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:52:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Someone has to help me here. There's a Philippine company making .22LR & mag revolvers in the 4" size. Not cheap, somewhere in the mid-$400s I think. They seem to be decent guns but I have not yet shot one.

Other than that, maybe a Ruger? Smiths are way better but carry a price with them.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:38:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Wait be patient buy used. A good condition used smith at $550 is a much better value in the long run than a new 500 dollar ruger or cheaper off brand
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 10:28:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I prefer the K frame Model 18 myself but I have no doubt you will like the 617.
View Quote
Love me some K-frame goodness...

I wish they would make a stainless version with a 9 round cylinder, now that would be perfection.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 3:09:01 AM EDT
[#14]
I finally bought a 617 at a decent price used.  Will be selling off my Taurus 94.  The DA pull is definitely much higher than the smith, but it always goes bang.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 10:45:08 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a S&W 34.  I bought this years ago for 150.00.  Now I watch Armslist, Gunbroker  and other forums for a deal on a 617.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 6:48:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I would like to get my hands on a 617 Mountain gun. it was a limited run last year I think,
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 8:05:54 PM EDT
[#17]
S&W revolvers are head shoulder better than anything else I have ever owned. I won't buy anything not made in the USA simply because most of it's junk by comparison and I can't financially justify a Korth.

Ruger makes fine revolvers, but their triggers aren't nearly as nice as the S&W's.

I owned a Colt Police Positive thirty years ago that was a very nice .38 Special, but the trigger stacked when you shot it double action and I didn't like the cylinder latch or the fact that the cylinder rotates in the opposite direction as a Smith.

Ruger .22 LR revolvers are just as pricey as the Smiths in my neck of the woods. That makes my choice that much easier.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 8:20:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Someone has to help me here. There's a Philippine company making .22LR & mag revolvers in the 4" size. Not cheap, somewhere in the mid-$400s I think. They seem to be decent guns but I have not yet shot one.

Other than that, maybe a Ruger? Smiths are way better but carry a price with them.
View Quote
They are out there. I took a shot at a Model 18-3 with some nice target grips this week on GB. Lost out by $5 and it went for $470.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top