Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2017 9:16:28 PM EDT
I'd like to pick up a new revolver and I'm having a little trouble choosing between these two.  I'm not really interested in their other offerings with less capacity.  

This is strictly a range toy/fun gun.

The Ruger has a nice lug/barrel length combo, but I'd probably lean towards the 4" 617, so that is kinda a wash.

I really have no brand loyalty with firearms, I generally just buy what I like.  The only other revolver I have is an old Colt Agent that I like quit a lot, though I'm not trying to duplicate that experience at all with a $2500 Diamondback.  I just want a revolver I can shoot a lot.

Any input either way?

eta
Ruger
Smith & Wesson
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 9:36:22 PM EDT
[#1]
No matter which one you go for, I'd want to buy it locally due to QC issues both companies seem to be having with fit/finish.......

Then pick the one that has the best trigger.  Both are going to be quite serviceable for a range/fun gun.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:40:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never handled the Ruger but have owned a4" and 6" 617 and triggers were great on both but preferred the 4" balance. I dislike the lock so if I were to do it over again I'd buy Ruger first.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 7:49:34 AM EDT
[#3]
For me, the 6" 617 is excessively muzzle heavy. I had one cut to 5" and it now beautifully matches my 5" 627PC. The best .22 revo for me is my old Model 17; 6" unlugged barrel, 42 oz., beautiful accuracy, very good single and double action triggers.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:54:53 AM EDT
[#4]
my 4" 6shot 617 is very accurate... likes CCI Green Tag
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:10:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd look for a used 10 round 17.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:13:37 AM EDT
[#6]
My pick but I may be a little bit bias.  

Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:21:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Pre-lock 6 shot all stainless 617

Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:11:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Find an older Smith and Wesson .22 on Gunbroker.    Smith stopped caring about revolver quality a while ago.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:39:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Find an older Smith and Wesson .22 on Gunbroker.    Smith stopped caring about revolver quality a while ago.
View Quote
They slide about time the lock showed up.  My 351c is a nice revolver but not as nice as my older stuff
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:27:48 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a S&W 617 10-shot revolver.  

I picked mine up used for a very good price, and found out it had some issues when I took it to the range - the chambers in the cylinder were messed up.  A call to S&W had a call tag e-mailed to me, and it was fixed at no charge to me. Since then, it has been a fun & accurate addition to my range guns.

Like others have mentioned, the 6" full lug 22 is a nose heavy gun - but the 4" has a nice balance.

I can't speak about the Ruger as I have not had the chance to shoot one yet.

Good luck,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:59:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Looks like I'll have a new 45oz toy in the next couple days.  Should be at my FFL tomorrow.

If I decide that the weight is more than my delicate sensibilities can handle I'll send it to Clark Customs and have them lighten it. Duplicating the PC contour would be pretty neat on a 6" gun.

Pics to follow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top