Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2017 11:33:13 AM EDT
I'm in the market for a SAA clone for a shooter and thought I wanted an Evil Roy with a 5.5 barrel.

I haven't seen one in person, but the specs on it look nice and I have a Cimarron I like. I went to the gun store and came across a Uberti SASS Pro model and it felt really nice and well made, but is around $80 cheaper. I also liked the short stroke action.

I know Uberti makes the Cimarrons, but other than the short stroke is there any major difference between the two? Is the Cimarron better to justify the price? Any one with both?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:56:12 AM EDT
[#1]
The Evil Roy is offered in stainless, which is why I looked at them.  Uberti lineup on there website looks like they are lacking in the .357 versions, but maybe I missed a link.  

I must have a 4 5/8" barrel, stainless, and .357.  I couldn't find any in stock, so I just stopped looking.  That is how I usually end up finding a good deal.

I already have two blued Ubertis and two stainless Vaqueros, that is why I am looking for the 1873 type frame in stainless.

The Uberti runs fine with a simple spring upgrade to lighten the trigger pull.  I expect the Evil Roy already comes with it.  You also need to determine if you want to have  a short stroke kit already installed.

Is the SASS Pro the model with the 1860 grip frame?  I think they look a bit weird.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:47:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm a bit of a novice to the SAA, so for my first, I  think I'd like the short throw kit installed. The pro I tried just felt really nice compared to the Gen 2 and 3 colts they had in the shop.

I think the one with the 1860 frame might be called "the Eliminator."

As far as I can tell, the Evil Roy looks almost exactly same as the SASS Pro down to the handcarved checkered grips. The Evil Roy mentions that the parts are all hand selected for fit, and I don't see that on the Pro, but it may have been done or they don't point it out, either way.

I'm looking for a blued, 5.5 in .45 LC for this one, so plenty of options. I looked at the Colts, but for the money, I think I'd be better off with a cheaper work horse over a show horse.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 10:28:25 AM EDT
[#3]
This is argued back and forth, but having had many Uberti's/Cimarron's pass through my hands, I'll go all day every day stating that the Cimarron's always seem to be better finished. The last new Cimarron I bought, a 5 1/2" Bisley in 45 Colt, needed no work except to lighten the trigger pull just a tad. In addition to being gorgeous, it was just way more accurate than it should've been.

Same goes for a 5 1/2" Cimarron Model P .44 Special I bought a few years ago. Just insanely accurate at 50 yds. and beyond, right out of the box, and well finished to boot.

If you're concerned about the difference in price of the Uberti and Cimarron, I'd forgo the short-stroke option. Unless you're competing, it doesn't serve much purpose.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 6:24:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a couple Colt clones, my last one was a Cimarron in stainless. Smoothest six gun I had up until I got my first Ruger Old Model Vaquero. I upgraded to that so I could shoot bear loads while I'm out and about in the mountains. I've since sold my Colt clones and am building my fleet of old Vaqueros.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top