Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2017 3:07:16 AM EDT
So with the advice and encouragement from the hive, I added my first moon clip rig to the stable and I will be heading to the range for the first time with the S&W 929.

I ordered up a batch of TK Custom moon clips and his tool for loading and unloading the clips. I preloaded about 150 rounds tonight and it made me wonder out loud...

I see there are speed shooting belt rigs and such for these rigs, so it made me wonder...

Is there such a thing as a case or tray designed to carry loaded moon clips?

TIA
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 8:49:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Grab a few of your loaded moonclips and head for the fishing section of your favorite sporting good store.  Find the selection of lure organizers and pick one that is deep enough for your loads and big enough to hold as many moonclips as you need.  Pictured below are mine larger ones.  The tray just fits into the magazine pocket on the side of my Shooters Connection range bag.  Holds enough loaded moonclips to shoot most club level USPSA matches.

S&W 610 6.5-inch,  S&W 625 5-inch,  S&W 627PC 5-inch
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 8:57:44 AM EDT
[#2]
https://www.speedbeez.com

https://www.speedbeez.com
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 9:03:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 9:15:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have yet to see anyone making tactical-style moon clip pouches, either for belt or MOLLE/PALS.  Anyone knowing of such please chime in.
View Quote
Closest I have seen is probably some of the IDPA approved moonclip holders.  They protect the moonclip fairly well unlike the rigs most of the USPSA shooter use.

http://www.4wheelguns.com/IDPA.html  <- these guys make pretty good moonclip holders.  I am running one of their four post version for USPSA.

For hunting I use a relatively cheap small speed-loader pouch  It was designed to hold two speed-loaders.  My 10mm or 45ACP Moonclips fit fairly well and the velcro flaps keep me from loosing them in the woods, though access is not terrible fast.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 12:20:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 12:46:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Who makes it, and where did you get it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have yet to see anyone making tactical-style moon clip pouches, either for belt or MOLLE/PALS.  Anyone knowing of such please chime in.
Closest I have seen is probably some of the IDPA approved moonclip holders.  They protect the moonclip fairly well unlike the rigs most of the USPSA shooter use.

http://www.4wheelguns.com/IDPA.html  <- these guys make pretty good moonclip holders.  I am running one of their four post version for USPSA.
http://www.4wheelguns.com/image/obj1278geo896pg19p17.jpg

For hunting I use a relatively cheap small speed-loader pouch  It was designed to hold two speed-loaders.  My 10mm or 45ACP Moonclips fit fairly well and the velcro flaps keep me from loosing them in the woods, though access is not terrible fast.
Who makes it, and where did you get it?
ahhh...   The link in my post...  That is to the IDPA version of their moonclip holder.  The USPSA version does not have the shield in front.

http://www.4wheelguns.com/IDPA.html
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 8:16:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Agree with the clear lure boxes. I have been using those for years with very good results.

Master-Tac makes excellent holsters and moonclip holders too.

http://www.master-tac.com/mdse.html
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 9:10:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I shoot USPSA and ICORE with .38 Colt brass in TK moons. I load a match and a couple do over stages worth, pile the loaded moons into a draw string bag made from an old blue jeans leg and toss it in my range bag. I've bent moons on my belt and on the ground, but after many thousands of rounds, I've never bent a moon in my bag. The Plano boxes are nice and all, I'm just not interested in carrying all that bulk.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 2:26:08 AM EDT
[#9]
bigdb1, I am surprised you didn't have any damage from using a bag. I supposed as long as the bag doesn't get banged around there is nothing to fear.

I do like the plastic boxes being shown if they keep the clips and cases from getting lost or damaged, but I see your point too. It does take a little more time to place those into each bin.

I have not been to the range with the new rig yet, but the first trip will likely be using a freezer bag and tote box, until I get a better idea of what works.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 6:09:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I use the Blade Tech type moon holders on my belt, so the clip is just hung out there. Scrape it on a wall or hit it with the range bag and it bends. I stopped refreshing the belt after every run and now set it up when I'm on deck. I don't exactly treat my bag with kid gloves, but neither do I throw it across the room or kick it around. Like I said, many thousands of rounds. Maybe 2 or 3 thousand moons.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:27:39 PM EDT
[#11]
bigdb1, if the moons don't get damaged from being bent or banged around being stored, how long should I assume they last?

Should I assume that I need X number of moons for every Y number of rounds fired? I am using the TK Custom in a 929.

The storage and transport damage had occurred to me when I asked the original question, but I should have also been thinking about usage wear and fatigue or no?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:07:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Moonclips, assuming they don't get bent will last indefinitely.  I have fired ten of thousand of rounds through my moonclip N-frames and the only moonclip I have lost are one that get bent, usually because I or the RO steps on them.

Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:33:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 2:10:58 AM EDT
[#14]
To carry the loaded moon clips to the range I used simple plastic pipe sections.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:55:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Moonclips, assuming they don't get bent will last indefinitely.  I have fired ten of thousand of rounds through my moonclip N-frames and the only moonclip I have lost are one that get bent, usually because I or the RO steps on them.

http://i.imgur.com/r7RdpAul.jpg
View Quote
Concur. I've never seen a worn out moon clip.

I use Ranch Products moons for the 625. At 35 cents each, I throw bent clips away. For the 627, I use TK Custom clips for .38 Colt brass. At over $7 per, I spend the time to straighten those.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:50:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Concur. I've never seen a worn out moon clip.

I use Ranch Products moons for the 625. At 35 cents each, I throw bent clips away. For the 627, I use TK Custom clips for .38 Colt brass. At over $7 per, I spend the time to straighten those.
View Quote
I also use Ranch Product with my 625.  I have been using Revolver Supply moonclips with Remington 38 Short Colt brass in my 627 and the fit is nearly on par with TK/Starline for noticeable savings.

TK custom use to make a gadget for straightening slightly bent moonclips. It would not save one that was kinked but if it was just bowed a bit causing drag it would flatten it out pretty effectively.  TK does not make that gadget anymore but if you are handy with a lathe it would be pretty easy to replicate his design.

Here is a picture of someones copy:

The very flat cone flexes the moonclips center.  You press the moonclip several time from one side flip over and repeat until its flat.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:49:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I have one of those tools and they work fairly well. Combine with a pair of parallel jaw pliers for twisted legs, and a moon has to be creased before it can't be saved with moderate effort.

I do have some Revolver Supply moons that I use at LAMR. Gives me 20% (or so) less chance of having one of my TKs stepped on.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 6:29:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:01:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I LIKE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great job. I'm gonna make one of these!

Many thanks for the idea!!!!!!!!

Norm
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:34:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Looks good to me. Worth the trouble if it keeps things from getting messed up during rough trips.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 3:29:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:I have yet to see anyone making tactical-style moon clip pouches, either for belt or MOLLE/PALS.  Anyone knowing of such please chime in.
View Quote
If by "tactical style" you mean something you could used for concealed carry, I have on occasion used a "Shoot-the-Moon" carrier, on my belt on the weak hand side, while packing a 3.5" 1917 or a 4" M-25 under a cover garment (vest or long jacket). They (Shoot-the-Moon) are more secure than the competition rigs and still much faster than speed loaders out of a pouch.

Dave
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 7:52:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 12:02:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Not synthetic fabric, but these are what I use.

Full Moon Pouch by Simply Rugged
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 1:15:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top