User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:26:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I never owned one but the S&W body guard was the one I would have bought.
View Quote
I love my 638. With single action, it is accurate at 50 yards.

It is no fun to shoot. If you want to shoot 357, I'd recommend trying several models first. Ruger SP101 seems to me like it would be the best. But, it's no where as easy to carry as the 638 or 442.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 2:19:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Ruger LCRx with 3 inch barrel and adjustable sights.   About the perfect small 38 Special, IMHO.

Currently, I have a 3 inch S&W M64.   If I wanted a new 38 Special for carry/fun shooting, the above Ruger is the one I would get.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:24:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 3/30/2017 1:26:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Nobody has yet mentioned the Kimber K6S.  Pretty much the same size as the steel framed snubbies but no MIM parts, six shots,  and a much better trigger.
View Quote
I've been looking for the right .357 snubbie for ages. Two days ago I was finally ready to make it happen. I had it narrowed down to SP101 vs a couple S&Ws. Had to have an SA/DA with hammer. Liked the heft of the Ruger, and the finesse of the S&Ws. But I decided to handle a couple of Kimber K6s' and that was it for me. That sweet DA pull, and a well-made gun was too much to resist, despite the fact that it was $200-300 more than the others and hurt to spend that much more. But after a range session and two days of carrying it... I couldn't be happier. Friggin kickass gun! I even shot some 180 grain hardcast HSM "bear loads" in it, and they were FAR less brutal the the 305 grain .44 mag bear loads out of my 329PD hiking gun.

Btw... for me, the K6s is like the love child of a Wiley Clapp SP101 and a S&W Bodyguard (the old snubbie version).
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 3:19:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I've been looking for the right .357 snubbie for ages. Two days ago I was finally ready to make it happen. I had it narrowed down to SP101 vs a couple S&Ws. Had to have an SA/DA with hammer. Liked the heft of the Ruger, and the finesse of the S&Ws. But I decided to handle a couple of Kimber K6s' and that was it for me. That sweet DA pull, and a well-made gun was too much to resist, despite the fact that it was $200-300 more than the others and hurt to spend that much more. But after a range session and two days of carrying it... I couldn't be happier. Friggin kickass gun! I even shot some 180 grain hardcast HSM "bear loads" in it, and they were FAR less brutal the the 305 grain .44 mag bear loads out of my 329PD hiking gun.
View Quote
Pics man, pics.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 3:54:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Pics man, pics.  
View Quote
Here's the one I posted in the latest firearm acquisition thread...

Link Posted: 4/9/2017 1:07:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Good move, OP!

442 for the win.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 1:23:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Here's the one I posted in the latest firearm acquisition thread...

http://i.imgur.com/DP39bzs.jpg
View Quote
That nickel one.....  NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE.  The Kimber looks kind of funky.  But who care what it looks like?  As long as it works.  They seem to get good reviews by people that have used them.  Quality wise.  

And OP, nice snubby.  I put hogue tamer grips on mine because I carry it IWB and not in my pocket.   And it makes it more shootable for me.    Just something to think about.  Actually I never fired it with smaller grips on.  I just couldn't get a good grip on it with the boot grips I have.  I have those factory ones and some fancy laminated wood ones.  

We'll need a range report.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 2:23:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That nickel one.....  NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE.  The Kimber looks kind of funky.  But who care what it looks like?  As long as it works.  They seem to get good reviews by people that have used them.  Quality wise.  

And OP, nice snubby.  I put hogue tamer grips on mine because I carry it IWB and not in my pocket.   And it makes it more shootable for me.    Just something to think about.  Actually I never fired it with smaller grips on.  I just couldn't get a good grip on it with the boot grips I have.  I have those factory ones and some fancy laminated wood ones.  

http://i.imgur.com/9vDKKtw.jpg

We'll need a range report.  
View Quote
The Kimber definitely has a blocky look. But it's very well-made. It has a Ruger's stout build, with a S&W's fit & finish. The DA trigger pull was actually better than any of the S&W snubbies that I tried, and of course, far better than any Ruger I tried. I wanted something that I could carry heavy, hardcast bear loads in when I don't feel like packing one of my 4" .44 mags around. The Kimber and the Ruger SP101 were my favorite snubbies in terms of being something stout enough to not worry about it blowing up or shattering my hand. The Kimber beat the Ruger because its DA trigger was so much better... and any defensive use of the gun would be far more likely to be DA. I originally wanted a SA/DA snubbie with exposed hammer, but the Kimber's pull was so good that it made me drop that requirement entirely. Anyways... I'd still like to add Ruger and S&W snubbies to the safe eventually... but the K6s won out for first .357 snubbie.

And yeah... the nickel S&W is indeed delicious.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 11:46:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, my 442 could benefit from a lighter smoother trigger.  It's 13# and even though I can hit with it, I could do better if it was about 10.  I think.   I'm jealous of the Kimber.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:23:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yeah, my 442 could benefit from a lighter smoother trigger.  It's 13# and even though I can hit with it, I could do better if it was about 10.  I think.   I'm jealous of the Kimber.  
View Quote
My wife is probably jealous of the Kimber as well. I've been off work for several weeks on medical leave (back surgery) and the Kimber is always within arm's reach and constantly being dry-fired and fondled.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:37:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I kind of have an itch for a snubbie revolver.  I have almost every other niche covered in my collection except for that.  I'm looking for a 2-3" barrel, .38 or .357.  I have ammo for both calibers already.  Budget is $500ish.  I can come up a little, but not much.  What would you recommend in that price range?

ETA 3/31/17
I picked up a S&W 442-1 no lock today.  Will post pics when I am able to.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/389898/IMG-0165-178410.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/389898/IMG-0166-178411.JPG
View Quote

If you want to make that 442-1 comfortable to shoot without compromising the conceal-ability then I suggest you visit "Altamontco.com" website and look for their Combat Style grip. I put one on my S&W M-36 and the difference over the stock "Magna" grips was night and day. I don't mind running 100+ rounds of full power .38Spec in a range session. Including a healthy mix of Gold Dots, Buffalo Bore, Hornady XTP's and LSWC "ball" rounds, all in 158 flavor, standard pressure. I front pocket carry my blued M-36 in a DeSantis pocket holster.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:31:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My wife is probably jealous of the Kimber as well. I've been off work for several weeks on medical leave (back surgery) and the Kimber is always within arm's reach and constantly being dry-fired and fondled.
View Quote
Ewww,  TMI.   LOL.....  
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:09:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Is there an inherent advantage of the 442 over the 642? Or vice-versa? I like the look of both, but wondered if the finish on either has the potential to become an issue.

Some great looking revolvers in here by the way 

ETA: What do you guys know about the S&W 360J? Seems like a pretty neat little gun. Albeit somewhat of a mystery.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 6:31:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Is there an inherent advantage of the 442 over the 642? Or vice-versa? I like the look of both, but wondered if the finish on either has the potential to become an issue.

Some great looking revolvers in here by the way 

ETA: What do you guys know about the S&W 360J? Seems like a pretty neat little gun. Albeit somewhat of a mystery.
View Quote
I picked the 442 over the 642 for a few reasons.  The 442 I found (with no lock) was $35 cheaper than the 642 (with lock) that I found right next to it.  Those were the options at the LGS that day, unless I wanted a Performance Center 642 for $100 more.  Plus I like the looks of the black finish better than the stainless.  Other than the finish, the 642 and 442 are virtually the same gun.  I'm sure somebody who has owned both will be along shortly to tell you how the finishes hold up over time.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top