Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2017 8:41:35 PM EDT
So I am interested in getting a Colt Detective/Agent, snub .38. I've also considered a Dan Wesson with a snub barrel, and I've also come across a S&W Model 10 snub for around $425. Wondering if they are all comparable to size in frame. Having 6 shots is important to me over the J frame, but I also want to pocket carry. IDK if thats possible.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 9:02:07 PM EDT
[#1]
A air weight J-frame is about all I want to pocket carry.  A steel J-frame or K-frame would be to heavy to pocket carry IMHO.    An aluminum K-frame might be OK to pocket carry.  S&W did made an aluminum framed version of the Model 10, the Model 12.  They may have made other aluminum K-frames in the past, I am not sure.  Unfortunately there are no current productions aluminum K-frames.

Don't know about Colt or Dan Wesson.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 9:04:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I think a Det Spl is kind of big & heavy for a pocket, but that's just me.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:37:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Dan Wesson Model 15 or 715 is just slightly larger than a K-frame.   You can use K-frame holsters and speed loaders.

Not something I would try to pocket carry.

The Dan Wesson 38P and 738P (which are super rare and hard to find) are the size of a J-frame and 5 shot.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:50:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Colt Cobra, light enough and easily carried. If you really want to pocket carry I would suggest a ''hammerless'' design.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 10:37:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Colt DS, a Colt Agent and a Dan Wesson with a snub barrel. The DW is way to heavy to carry in a pocket on any regular basis. It's also too big to do so. The Colt DS you can get away with in a winter jacket but your jacket will pull to one side. Of the three that I mentioned the Colt Agent is your best bet but the hammer will catch on your pants or jacket when you pull it out. Not always but regularly. Now for the pics.

Colt Agent with Boot Grips

Colt DS

DW with Snub barrel

Link Posted: 3/2/2017 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#6]
All of your choices are a bit large for pocket carry.  The Smith will be slightly larger than the Colt.  Not sure on the Dan Wesson, haven't seen one in years.  

Most Colts are moving into the collector realm and price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top