Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2017 3:49:53 AM EDT
A friend gave this to me to clean up and I think it is toast! The bore is badly rusted and pitted and the whole gun is locked up. The trigger and hammer are rock solid with no movement at all. The cylinder will wiggle but not much. The top latch will almost open. I soaked it in Kroil for a couple week and it did nothing to help. I'm curious as to what model and caliber this might be. It is marked "Harrington and Richardson" with some tiny writing and a date that is about rubbed off and I can't make it out. Any guesses as to what this is and if it is still worth anything in its current state? Thanks!

Link Posted: 2/2/2017 7:16:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I have its twin and mine is a .32 S&W.  You should not use smokeless powder in those.  I have an Iver Johnson also that looks just like your photo.

The construction of those top breaks always made me wonder how many people lived that shot those.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:54:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Tough to tell with no scale but it's either 38S&W or 32S&W.  Throw a ruler across the bore, I would bet 38S&W.  I have an Iver Johnson in 38S&W that is in much better condition and I only payed $95 for it three years ago.  That one probably is not worth much especially if the bore is ruined then its probably not even worth fixing the the fire controls. Your's might end up just being a wall hanger.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:17:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Based on the description and the pic, it's worthless.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:56:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Here is a couple more pictures for size scale:

Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:25:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here is a couple more pictures for size scale:
View Quote
Yes 38S&W.  How bad is the bore?
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:31:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yes 38S&W.  How bad is the bore?
View Quote

Looks like the cylinder the entire length.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:50:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Perfect for a gun buy back program.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Any idea what vintage this revolver is? What decade it may have been made? Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:30:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Any idea what vintage this revolver is? What decade it may have been made? Thanks!
View Quote
Probably 1880's or 1890's
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 12:15:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Probably 1880's or 1890's
View Quote

Might be quite a bit newer than that.  I picked up a very similar style Iver Johnson 38 S&W top break in pretty decent condition for cheap.

With a bit of research I was surprised to find it was made in the early 1920s.  Cheap top- breaks were hugely popular all the way up to WWII.

Since the lock up is pretty tight & it's rated to smokeless - I've run a few cylinders off Privi ammo through it - which is extremely mild stuff.

It was fun to shoot, but not very accurate.  I guess I have a real weak spot for early 20th century pocket pistols.

As far as the condition of yours - gun turn in program for $ would be my choice.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Might be quite a bit newer than that.  I picked up a very similar style Iver Johnson 38 S&W top break in pretty decent condition for cheap.

With a bit of research I was surprised to find it was made in the early 1920s.  Cheap top- breaks were hugely popular all the way up to WWII.

Since the lock up is pretty tight & it's rated to smokeless - I've run a few cylinders off Privi ammo through it - which is extremely mild stuff.

It was fun to shoot, but not very accurate.  I guess I have a real weak spot for early 20th century pocket pistols.

As far as the condition of yours - gun turn in program for $ would be my choice.
View Quote

Possibly but the large majority of H&R's top breaks models were discontinued by 1900.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#12]
So there is probably no way to get parts for this then?
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 3:41:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Possibly but the large majority of H&R's top breaks models were discontinued by 1900.  
View Quote

H&R made top breaks well into the 1970s.

That one looks 1900-1910 or so.  If the OP can get it to unlatch there should be a numeric code under the latch.  H&R used a letter code for the year.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:55:32 PM EDT
[#14]
The latch does move I just can't quite get it to open. Any suggestions on how to muscle it to get it open?
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 1:04:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Soak it in a 1/2 and 1/2 mixture of transmission fluid ad kerosene. Agitate it once or twice a day.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:03:26 AM EDT
[#16]
I would cut it in half with a metal band saw and throw it in the trash. It's not worth messing with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top