Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2016 3:58:17 PM EDT
I have wanted one forever. This one looks better in person than the pics show. Really nice shape. What do you think for $700?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 4:18:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy it.  Buy it right now.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 4:20:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 4:47:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh its a done deal. My buddy owns a pawn/gun shop I help out in some. He kept the last 1917 so he offered me this one knowing I love the military stuff and have been waiting for the right one for probably ten years now.. We don't get tons of good stuff but you never know what is going to come in. 90% Nazi proof marked P38, yep I will take that. Fantastic Webley .38 98%, yea. Great looking Enfield No.1 mk3*, sure. That was the past few months. Sometimes I think why do I give up Saturdays to help here, then I remember this stuff.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 5:21:59 PM EDT
[#4]
1917's aren't exactly rare but like most Colts the price has been steadily climbing.  Assuming it locks up tight and the bore is good, $700 is a great price.  

Colt made about 150,000 of them.  Serial number puts that one in the first third.  Probably spring of 1918.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 4:10:46 PM EDT
[#5]
can it shoot without a moon clip?  From what I read, the capability was added early in the production run but mine seems about halfway through the run and still requires clips.  Otherwise the rounds fall right through the cylinder.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 4:00:25 PM EDT
[#6]
That is hot.  I've always wanted to shoot one and own one.  And a Victory.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 6:00:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought mine in the early 80s, and it is not quite as nice as yours.

I just got off the CPI calculator, and it looks like inflation adjusted, there was about a $100 difference.

Considering the difference in condition, and the 35 years difference in purchase, this seems quite reasonable.

Looks like a good deal to me.

Great for collecting, and fun on the range.  (I fired reduced level handloads for the most part, always worried about non-heat treated cylinders).

Back in 1917, I would have much preferred a M1911, and still do.

But, the old Colt big frame revolvers do have a charm of their own.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 8:29:32 PM EDT
[#8]
War-Daddy would approve...
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 8:41:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice score, especially at that price. I would love to have a S&W version.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 11:57:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice score, especially at that price. I would love to have a S&W version.
View Quote

Should really get one of each.  They each have their own unique personalities.  The Smith trigger is far superior, the Colt is just cool as hell.

Link Posted: 2/5/2017 8:20:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Range report?
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 10:42:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Range report?
View Quote

Can't speak for OP, but I shot my 1917 Colt last Friday.  Load was a 200 grain coated SWC over a light charge of Ramshot Zip.  Accuracy was decent at 10 yards.  Single action was great.  Not any easy gun to shoot DA.  Trigger pull is heavy and gets heavier as you approach the break.  Good enough for defensive purposes at close range, but just barely.  

It was great fun.  Also shot the 1929 Model Swiss Luger, in .30 Luger.  It was brilliant.  But that is a story for another sub forum.  

Shoot your vintage guns.  Safe queens are so boring.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top