Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2016 10:58:39 AM EDT
</a>" />

Was the reason for the long (7 1/2") barrel length on the cavalry model SAA  to achieve the desired velocity using black powder as the cartridge propellant?

I seem to recall that was the reason for the barrel length chosen but I`m unable to verify it with any of my information sources.

I know that at a later date these same revolvers were modified by having the barrels shortened to 5 1/2" and I wonder if that change coincided with a change from black to smokeless powder.

I`m beginning to develop a single action itch and my budget is most certainly in the Colt copy range. If anyone has advice on a preferred barrel length for a .45 Colt single action I`m interested in hearing it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 1:39:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Sight radius bigger is better.
Some cavalry guys could hit with revolvers at very long distance for handgun according to gun writers like Elmer Kieth.
Sight radius was less important to Elmer Keith in his own revolvers since he used higher quality better designed sights

Link Posted: 9/18/2016 3:03:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I was just researching this my self the other day. My concern was that I wanted an "authentic" looking replica and I thought 7.5 was the only original length, but I found out it wasn't. 7.5s were called "cavalry" models, 5.5s were called "artillery" models and the 4.75s were called "civilian" or "gun fighter" models.
IMO the cavalry used a long barrel for accuracy because they were using it as their primary weapon and it was filling the role of a rifle.
My own opinion, I can't stand the long barrel. It looks cool on the mantel but it feels wrong in the hand. I have a 4.75 bounty hunter in 22 and a pietta 5.5 in 45. I wanted the 4.75 but Cabela's was out of them so I bought the 5.5. it's OK, but I still want a 4.75. I'm not sure how the 3.5"s would feel, I'm considering buyer the thunderer as well. 4.75 just seems to point real natural. Now that I know the originals came with short barrels I feel better about my choices. I can't stand the 7.5 barrel on my Redhawk either.
I got my info here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Single_Action_Army
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 3:16:51 PM EDT
[#3]
If any site staff or moderators read this, I was thinking maybe we need a new section dedicated to single actions and /or cowboy action shooting. Maybe "old west guns" section? Just a thought.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 4:32:11 PM EDT
[#4]
The answer is... Sight radius bigger is better.

I have always referred to the 4.75 inch barrel as "Cowboy" length barrels.

I am a "never sell a gun" kind of guy. I sold guns including 3 Yugo AKs to buy two Colt SAA with cowboy length barrels
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 6:00:08 PM EDT
[#5]
My 8" 1860 is the most accurate handgun Ive ever shot. Im guessing the 7.5" is a carry over
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#6]
The guns the 1873 was replacing where the older Army/Navy and Remington cap and ball revolvers.
All of those predecessors had long barrels.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I think 03 rn has it right the barrel was roughly the same length as the precursor cap and ball revolvers. Just arbitrary no science necessarily.
They cavalry of the time carried sabers and carbines. The pistol was not considered primary. After 1890 ( actually some time after the last single action contract and after the primary first line pistol became the 38 cal Colt 1892 series- which came with a shorter barrel) the military decided to cut down the 7.5 to 5.5 which incidentally is what the rough riders carried to Cuba. Roosevelt was carrying the later 38 cal revolver - history indicates it may have been a navy revolver recovered in the salvage operation from the sunken uss Maine
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:24:54 PM EDT
[#8]
The 7.5 point shoots better.   I think there was some military requirement that the round should penetrate a horse's chest, but I cant confirm that.   The original 40 gr BP round went about 1000 fps with the RFN 250 gr in the 7.5 inch barrel.   There were complaints about the recoil and the charge was reduced.

There was no Artillery Model.   When the 38 Long Colt was found to be lacking in power, some 1873s were refurbished with a 5.5 inch barrel and issued as a stop gap.  They often have mixed serial numbered parts.  They also sent some DA Colts over.   They had oversized triggers and guards.   The older stock of ammo had hard primers and would not fire properly.   So they added a heavier spring and longer trigger.   These are sometimes called the "Alaskan Model' but were really the "Philippine Model."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top