Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/6/2016 12:25:16 PM EDT

I've had this little wheel gun in for about 6 months now and had it on the range pretty much every weekend; here's what I've found:

Pros:
-100% reliable to date
-Cost.  The revolver comes to market under $250 most places
-comes with two grips
-all steel construction
-fits colt detective holsters so options are out there
-no lock up issues like I read about on some of these produced years ago
-the trigger is surprisingly good for this type of gun

Cons:
-all black non-adjustable sights are slow to pick up
-fit/finish is not on par with $500 competitors
-with the wood grips the hammer hits the web of my hand.  I have huge hands FWIW

Full review with all the details of the little revolver:

Link Posted: 8/6/2016 1:39:11 PM EDT
[#1]
It's good to see reviews of very affordable weapons that actually are worth buying, instead of a constant diet of high end, unobtainium hand guns...

As you said, for it's purpose the cosmetics are a complete non issue.

How many rounds have you put through it so far?  It would be interesting to see how it holds up to high round counts.

The hammer looks long enough that it could be bobbed a bit to lessen that bite, yet still retain the option of using it single action.

Thanks for the review, always appreciate your work.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 1:59:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice review.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 4:38:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the review. I might pick one up to store in the garage.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 7:00:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Do these take Detective Special speed loaders?
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 7:50:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Good review, no thanks on that gun.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 12:50:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's good to see reviews of very affordable weapons that actually are worth buying, instead of a constant diet of high end, unobtainium hand guns...

As you said, for it's purpose the cosmetics are a complete non issue.

How many rounds have you put through it so far? It would be interesting to see how it holds up to high round counts.

The hammer looks long enough that it could be bobbed a bit to lessen that bite, yet still retain the option of using it single action.

Thanks for the review, always appreciate your work.
View Quote

~400-500
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 6:57:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I've seen a couple of them here in the Philippines that had the hammer reshaped to a more traditional Colt/S&W profile instead of that flat profile.  God only knows if they were done by a gunsmith and properly heat treated (there are enough of them around though) but I guess others don't like that profile either.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 7:38:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I completely forgot that I bought one of these 4 or so years ago and haven't fired it yet.  I put S&W rubber grips on it though.  

ETA:  it does take S&W speed loaders.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 9:46:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought one of these for giggles a few years ago, the 4" m200.  My experience with it is about the same as the OP.  Not a bad gun at all, for really cheap.  (mine was $211 )  Finish is poor, tool marks and rough fit.  But mechanically it runs fine, with a surprisingly good trigger in DA and SA.

It does not fit in detective special holsters, it is a little bigger.  I find that it fits nicely in my K frame holsters.  Uses the same speed loaders as my DS/K frames.  Detective special grips fit.  

Link Posted: 8/7/2016 1:24:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Interesting rieview , thanks

Several years ago when they first started showing up my buddy got one in his store . It was the 4" model .

Cheap  , yes
marginal finish, yes
plain fixed sights, yes . Good from the standpoint they couldn't be knocked around  , black on black a bit small but not horrible to use , I would rate them better than the silver on silver sights on my S&W 642.

I never shot this example that he had but did dry fire it a bit and lubed the heck out of it . The thing that killed it for me was on that one gun (I know,sample of one)
the trigger was a mess . heavy ,rough and scratchy. It was worse than any Charter Arms, Rossi , Taurus or RIG revolver I had ever tried.

I am glad to see things have improved with the triggers. Never got around to takeing one apart to find out if a spring kit for a Colt or S&W would work in it.

I also wonder if this is produced by the same folks who produce the Rock Island 1911's or if the name just goes with the importer?

Not that I have any need for more revolvers but if the average trigger is ok I would think this would be a big succes at that price point. Yeak folks always say they really want a .357 but almost no one shoots anything but 38.
Might be interesting to watch and see if they offer any other calibers,lengths or sight options
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 8:43:03 PM EDT
[#11]
If I can find one of the DAO hammerless ones in a local retailer for $220 or less, I'm on it!
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 1:55:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got one of the 4" M200s, and I was wondering what the aftermarket grip options are.  I'm interested in something with high traction, like G10.  Ideally, I'd like to put some sweet VZ grips on it , but they only make S&W compatible grips.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 11:21:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone know where I can find one from a reputable dealer?
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 3:13:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've got one of the 4" M200s, and I was wondering what the aftermarket grip options are.  I'm interested in something with high traction, like G10.  Ideally, I'd like to put some sweet VZ grips on it , but they only make S&W compatible grips.
View Quote

I think Pachmyer (sp?) makes a set that works but my have a gap at the top of the grip where it meets the frame.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 9:59:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I think Pachmyer (sp?) makes a set that works but my have a gap at the top of the grip where it meets the frame.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pachmyers for Colt detective specials work perfectly on the m200
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 8:09:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Pachmayr grips for the Colt Detective Special do work, but they make the use of HKS speedloaders very tight and a little awkward.

This gun seems like a heck of  value to me. I have loaned it to a friend for as long as she needs it, and for what I have into it, I am not concerned about whether I ever get it back.

Eventually I might pick up the longer barrel version, the M200
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 10:32:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:39:02 AM EDT
[#18]
For a while I was trying to get one and every local store said their distributors were out, couldn't get it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 6:23:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Just for giggles, here is mine. shoots great and the trigger is light and smooth. Got it from SOG for $179.00 + shipping.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 6:37:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm remodeling the house. Might buy one and throw in behind drywall in a ziplock bag covered in grease for shits and giggles.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 6:38:37 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I completely forgot that I bought one of these 4 or so years ago and haven't fired it yet.  I put S&W rubber grips on it though.  

ETA:  it does take S&W speed loaders.
View Quote
Pics and what mod grips?

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:18:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks like Pachmyer grips, not colt.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:26:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 9:16:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thanks for the review. I might pick one up to store in the garage.
View Quote

And that's exactly where mine resides. Doesn't hurt to have access to a gun out there, just in case. And what better one than a cheapie like this?
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 9:53:01 PM EDT
[#25]
I think I read it takes colt d frame or detective special grips. The grips would be the first thing to go. Advanced tactical sells the rubber grips.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 10:11:53 PM EDT
[#26]
I tried a set on mine and they didn't  fit quite right. Plus, they were a bit bulky too, so I took them off. Since this gun will probably never get used except in a dire emergency I felt I could live with the stock grips, as ugly as they are.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:11:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the review! I think the m200 will be my first revolver to dip my toes in the water.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 3:33:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the review. I also like to hear of affordable quality guns.

I found these for sale for $217 at link below if anyone is interested. I've never used that site though so I'm not sure if it's on the A-Okay list.

https://www.slickguns.com/product/armscor-m206-revolver-38-special-2-barrel-6-rnds-20893
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#29]
i have ordered the M200, the 4-inch barrel version, plus a Pachmayr grip. I am looking forward to getting it.  After I get a chance to check it out it will probably become a vehicle fixture.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 10:26:39 AM EDT
[#30]
I am going to pick one of these up at the next gun show!
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 5:28:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Nice Review
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:29:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I tried a set on mine and they didn't  fit quite right. Plus, they were a bit bulky too, so I took them off. Since this gun will probably never get used except in a dire emergency I felt I could live with the stock grips, as ugly as they are.
View Quote

I threw one of the Pachymar T-grip knockoffs on mine and it helped a lot.  Definitely makes a good truck gun.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 12:32:25 AM EDT
[#33]
i had one a few years ago that got stolen.

Was a decent inexpensive revolver
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 7:10:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Just picked up the M200 at my FFL yesterday ..

covered in oil, just like the M206

added a Pachmayr grip
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 10:06:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Any "long term" reviews or durability reports of these revolvers yet?  

I gotta admit they have my interest peaked and at a price low enough I could see getting one or two to have as a beater/snake gun/garage tool box gun/backpack gun.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:05:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Ah, meh ....

Make that 4" model 200 in 10mm AUTO/.40S&W (with a cylinder that's reliable with moon clips),  or beef it up to handle the .41 magnum like the old Smith model 58 (a model 10 on steroids), and you might actually have something to sell me that's interesting, useful, and reasonably priced.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 2:50:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 8:59:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Just picked up the M200 at my FFL yesterday ..

covered in oil, just like the M206

added a Pachmayr grip
View Quote
Is your Pachmayr grip Colt DS or Smith K/L frame?
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 4:58:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Is your Pachmayr grip Colt DS or Smith K/L frame?
View Quote

It's the Detective Special, I have them on both the M200 and M206. It took just a little sanding on the inside of the grip to fit the M200, but it fit the M206 just fine, which is kind of strange since they appear to be the same frame.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 3:48:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Is it rated for +P ammo?
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 8:28:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 1:36:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I bought one of these for giggles a few years ago, the 4" m200.  My experience with it is about the same as the OP.  Not a bad gun at all, for really cheap.  (mine was $211 )  Finish is poor, tool marks and rough fit.  But mechanically it runs fine, with a surprisingly good trigger in DA and SA.

It does not fit in detective special holsters, it is a little bigger.  I find that it fits nicely in my K frame holsters.  Uses the same speed loaders as my DS/K frames.  Detective special grips fit.
View Quote

This was my experience as well. We got one into the shop a while back and I compared it side by side with the Colt Agent I carry. The RIA was certainly larger (about K frame size) and was pretty rough looking outside. Seemed like a fun gun for $200 though.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 7:41:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Does anyone have anything to update about these? I'm considering getting one as my first foray into revolvers. Their low price and RIA's reputation as putting out good firearms has me thinking that this may be a good choice for me.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 7:56:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I've had this little wheel gun in for about 6 months now and had it on the range pretty much every weekend; here's what I've found:

Pros:
-100% reliable to date
-Cost. The revolver comes to market under $250 most places
-comes with two grips
-all steel construction
-fits colt detective holsters so options are out there
-no lock up issues like I read about on some of these produced years ago
-the trigger is surprisingly good for this type of gun

Cons:
-all black non-adjustable sights are slow to pick up
-fit/finish is not on par with $500 competitors
-with the wood grips the hammer hits the web of my hand. I have huge hands FWIW

Full review with all the details of the little revolver:
View Quote

I take it, that's your way of saying you're getting what you're paying for in terms of fit and finish?
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 8:01:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Yup, that pretty much sums it up.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 8:10:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Nice review.

Thanks.
View Quote

I hate snub nose revolvers though, but I had been wondering about these....MIGHT look at a M200 just for the hell of it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:07:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Anyone know where you can pick up some cheap kydex for both the 4" and the snubbie?
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 4:29:11 AM EDT
[#48]
I have one of these, It's basically a slightly modernized Colt detective special with the fit and finish of your typical AK. The trigger is surprisingly good on mine, the timing and lock up are acceptable. It's not pretty, but it works fine for what it is. I only have about 200 rounds through it, but no issues.  

Quoted:
Do these take Detective Special speed loaders?
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 8:17:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Seems to me, one of these revolvers and a Hatfield single shot 12 from Wal Mart and a person could have there based mostly covered for around $300. Yes, you could build a cheap AR for a little more with careful shopping, but these guns need ZERO supporting accessories. A cheap nylon holster, a cheap sling and a couple boxes of ammo for each. Well under $400 and they are ready to go.

I like utility guns, and that's what these are.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 1:26:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Where are they based?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top