Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2016 7:49:02 PM EDT
My CFO has given permission to splurge on a hunting handgun. While I'd like a 629, they're just too spendy in my AO.

While in my lgs today I saw a very nice 7.5" 44mag Redhawk. Only thing wrong was the tabs on the Hogue grip were apparently broken as it was a bit wonky. This is not the version that is milled for scope rings . Asking was $649.

Fair?

Update: While it's in layaway limbo for a few weeks, I walked into another retailer today and a salesman was literally in the process of putting a used 7.5" .44 Mag. Redhawk in the display case. They'd just gotten it in on trade, and it was the same exact model I wiffed on a few weeks back. This one was $550, and figuring it had to be some sort of fate that he was holding it as I walked in the door, I claimed it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 7:49:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Dbl tap
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 8:35:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Great gun, I own the same in stainless, but $649 used and without factory grips sounds high. Box and original manual , lock, and proof case with gun? I have seen new guns sell north of $800, how bad do you want a great gun?
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 8:43:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I see very lightly used SRH's in .454 go for that price so it's a bit high.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 8:45:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great gun, I own the same in stainless, but $649 used and without factory grips sounds high. Box and original manual , lock, and proof case with gun? I have seen new guns sell north of $800, how bad do you want a great gun?
View Quote

It was stainless, didn't ask about case and other stuff. Will try to get back in Thursday. They had $849 listed as new price. I'm not in a hurry and would ask for less if for no other reason as it would need a new grip.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 8:58:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It was stainless, didn't ask about case and other stuff. Will try to get back in Thursday. They had $849 listed as new price. I'm not in a hurry and would ask for less if for no other reason as it would need a new grip.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love mine, taken quite a few whitetails with it over the years too. I don't think you would be disappointed, a little lap with 1400 diamond paper and a Wolf spring kit makes it slick.......
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 1:33:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I love mine, taken quite a few whitetails with it over the years too. I don't think you would be disappointed, a little lap with 1400 diamond paper and a Wolf spring kit makes it slick.......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just got back from the store. The $649 was for the gun only. I'll keep looking around.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 3:22:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I absolutely love that gun, and chamber......don't nickel and dime over $50....buy it!!!!

I'm amazed at how much people are willing to squabble over, when they often plan on keeping revolvers for 20+ years..........
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 11:16:47 PM EDT
[#8]
That's cheap. Used good condition sell for 100-200 more here
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 8:51:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 12:30:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll check back in tomorrow and see what happens.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 1:56:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Your first instincts were correct , shop harder for a 629.

The Ruger is a decent gun and the trigger with a spring kit will be ok . The S&W starts with a better trigger and with a spring kit will be wonderful.
Shooting a double action revolver becomes all about the trigger , the S&W has that .

If your hunting only requires single action , just buy a Blackhawk
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:42:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I might ask them to come down a bit, maybe eat the tax.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 7:06:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I guess the price wasn't so bad as when I went back it was gone.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:07:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 14# wolff spring makes the Redhawk a dream, that still goes bang every time. Best investment for that gun imaginable.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:09:45 PM EDT
[#15]

I want one of these to go with my .45 colt black hawks.  I have a .44 mag now.

I have a sweet .44 mag 629 classic that i would almost consider trading for a .45 colt redhawk.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:20:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Your first instincts were correct , shop harder for a 629.

The Ruger is a decent gun and the trigger with a spring kit will be ok . The S&W starts with a better trigger and with a spring kit will be wonderful.
Shooting a double action revolver becomes all about the trigger , the S&W has that .

If your hunting only requires single action , just buy a Blackhawk
View Quote

This. An OK price but I'd rather pay a bit more for a nice pre-lock 629-4. You won't regret it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:27:57 AM EDT
[#17]
I have the same Redhawk you were looking at.

It was my uncles and I was given it after he passed, He had beat the ever living crap out of it dirt biking and off roading all over northern Nevada. The rear sight was broken off and the was dusty and scratched all to heck. A new blade sight from midway for $20 and it a good cleaning and it shoots great.

I may look into the wolfe spring mentioned above!
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:19:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Honestly I'd look for a 7.5" SRH instead. Much more pleasant to shoot.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:55:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's like here, I see people claim they get handguns for ridicules' prices compared to here. My lgs has a Security Six 6" blued 80% for $600. I see guys claim they get them for 300-400.  It seems like everything here is 200-300 more than the rest of the country.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 6:37:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That's like here, I see people claim they get handguns for ridicules' prices compared to here. My lgs has a Security Six 6" blued 80% for $600. I see guys claim they get them for 300-400.  It seems like everything here is 200-300 more than the rest of the country.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's funny, I often think the same thing about my area being more expensive.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 3:15:07 PM EDT
[#21]
bump.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 8:03:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Great score, you won't regret it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top