Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2016 1:21:50 PM EDT
I see that TK custom sells moon clips for various types to brass, but they seem a touch expensive for what they are. Is there another source?

I assume you can buy some direct from S&W... but I did not find them on their website.

Link Posted: 7/11/2016 1:57:15 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I see that TK custom sells moon clips for various types to brass, but they seem a touch expensive for what they are. Is there another source?

I assume you can buy some direct from S&W... but I did not find them on their website.

View Quote

Unfortunately for a 38/357 J-frame TK Custom is just about your only option.  TK Custom is, as I understand it, the OEM supplier to S&W for 38/357 J-frame moonclips.  They are expensive but they do work, very nicely.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 2:42:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Unfortunately for a 38/357 J-frame TK Custom is just about your only option.  TK Custom is, as I understand it, the OEM supplier to S&W for 38/357 J-frame moonclips.  They are expensive but they do work, very nicely.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This was what I was finding, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask folks who are in the know. I've never been a revolver guy...

It's also good to know that not all clips are compatible with all types/brands of brass. I'll probably just have to suck it up and buy a package, if I decide to go the moon clip route rather than speed loaders or strips.

Link Posted: 7/11/2016 3:15:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got one of the first 442 Pros, I generally keep the moon clip in the gun for positive extraction and they all come out at once.  However, since I pocket carry the 442 my reloads are a speed strip in the back pocket when wearing jeans.

CD
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 9:33:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've got one of the first 442 Pros, I generally keep the moon clip in the gun for positive extraction and they all come out at once.  However, since I pocket carry the 442 my reloads are a speed strip in the back pocket when wearing jeans.

CD
View Quote

CD has a great point, the moon clip makes sense loaded in the revolver but a speed loader or speed strip make more sense for reloads. Unless you carry spare moon clips in a hard carrier you risk them being bent and binding up your revolver.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 9:59:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
CD has a great point, the moon clip makes sense loaded in the revolver but a speed loader or speed strip make more sense for reloads. Unless you carry spare moon clips in a hard carrier you risk them being bent and binding up your revolver.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

CD

This is exactly my plan, if I end up using moon clips at all. I've just been checking things out and making a list of things I'd like to have on hand when I finally bring the revolver home.

Link Posted: 7/11/2016 11:22:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This is exactly my plan, if I end up using moon clips at all. I've just been checking things out and making a list of things I'd like to have on hand when I finally bring the revolver home.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CD

When I used to compete with a S&W 625 I would load every clip into the revolver, pull the hammer with my thumb just enough to "free" the cylinder and spin it keeping my trigger finger off the trigger and resting on the frame. I did this with every loaded moon clip I was planning to use for the match the night before or morning of at home. The purpose was to make sure the clips didn't bind at all, it also checked for any high primers or other ammo issues I missed since I shot reloads. I would want to do the same with a carry revolver.

Of course with the 442 you don't have a hammer to do this with so the above manner of testing isn't an option unless you have another J frame with a hammer. To be honest I'd be hesitant to trust them for self defense without checking them. I'm probably being overly cautious...

Edit for clarity
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 9:04:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
When I used to compete with a S&W 625 I would load every clip into the revolver, pull the hammer with my thumb just enough to "free" the cylinder and spin it keeping my trigger finger off the trigger and resting on the frame. I did this with every loaded moon clip I was planning to use for the match the night before or morning of at home. The purpose was to make sure the clips didn't bind at all, it also checked for any high primers or other ammo issues I missed since I shot reloads. I would want to do the same with a carry revolver.

Of course with the 442 you don't have a hammer to do this with so the above manner of testing isn't an option unless you have another J frame with a hammer. To be honest I'd be hesitant to trust them for self defense without checking them. I'm probably being overly cautious...

Edit for clarity
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CD

Edit for clarity

I do similar with my my moonclips I use in competition (610, 625, 627).  Everyone got checked before a match.  They then get put in tackle boxes to be protected in transport.

With my 442 I load the moonclip into the 442 and close the cylinder between cylinder lock notches.  Keep you finger off the trigger and pointed in a safe direction.  You can then using your hand to rotate the cylinder back and forth between notches to ensure that you don't have a bent clip causing excessive drag on the recoil face.  If your really paranoid you can do it four more times between all 5 chambers.  One time is probably sufficient.  My 442 moonclips don't get abused the way my N-frame moonclip do so I have never had a problem with a damaged 442 Moonclip.

If you do choose to carry a moonclip for a reload get a moonclip protector for in your pocket.  Keeps the moonclip from getting bent or round dislodged if you bang into something.

Link Posted: 7/16/2016 11:31:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Got my hands on a NIB 442 Pro for a deal and picked up some ammo. The clips that came with the gun fit the Federal brass just fine, but are very tight, and don't work with the Winchester or Fiocchi stuff. Looks like I may have to place an order with TK at some point.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:17:54 AM EDT
[#9]
does Ranch Products (Malinta, Ohio) make the clips you are looking for... used them extensively in my M25,but it's been a lot of years
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 11:25:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u268/WestDesRat/20160716_203436_zpss6ggwwxl.jpg

Got my hands on a NIB 442 Pro for a deal and picked up some ammo. The clips that came with the gun fit the Federal brass just fine, but are very tight, and don't work with the Winchester or Fiocchi stuff. Looks like I may have to place an order with TK at some point.
View Quote
How old it that Winchester Ammo?  I ask because my carry ammo is currently Winchester PDX1 130 JHP and the brass fits very nicely on the OEM moonclips that came with my 442.  Now I have a bunch of 38 brass that I got for reloading and most of that Winchester brass will not fit on the OEM moon clips.  It older but how much older I don't know.

Seems maybe new Winchester is starting fall in line with the other manufactures?  It interesting since there is no actually moonclip groove dimensional specification, not even from SAAMI.  The SAAMI drawings for 38 and 357 have no moonclip grooves.  I have even found actual brass from some off brands that do not have the moonclip grooves cut in them.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:41:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How old it that Winchester Ammo?  I ask because my carry ammo is currently Winchester PDX1 130 JHP and the brass fits very nicely on the OEM moonclips that came with my 442.  Now I have a bunch of 38 brass that I got for reloading and most of that Winchester brass will not fit on the OEM moon clips.  It older but how much older I don't know.

Seems maybe new Winchester is starting fall in line with the other manufactures?  It interesting since there is no actually moonclip groove dimensional specification, not even from SAAMI.  The SAAMI drawings for 38 and 357 have no moonclip grooves.  I have even found actual brass from some off brands that do not have the moonclip grooves cut in them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u268/WestDesRat/20160716_203436_zpss6ggwwxl.jpg

The Winchester stuff in that photo is obviously some old stock... looks to be from the 80's or earlier. Vintage, if you will. Ha!

Tonight I bought a box of the PDX Winchester stuff myself, before I came back and looked at this thread, and I was pleasantly surprised that it fit the OEM clips as well.

I am going to put a few different types of ammo through this 442 and see how close the different types hit to the sights. IIRC these things are regulated for 158gr ammo... and I want to know where things are going before I settle on a carry load. The Ranger Bonded/PDX-1 load is high on my list of hopefuls.

I do wish I could find some FGMM wad cutter to try.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top