Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2016 5:01:12 PM EDT
Local guy has a Ruger Service Six, that was built by Clark Customs in the 80's for sale. It is a 38 Special, bobbed hammer, slab sided barrel, big rib with target sights. He wants 500.00 or trade for another gun that I can buy new for less than that, he also has a speed holster and speed loaders. I know the condition. timing etc.. has a lot to do with the value, but I was wondering if it is worth looking at? I have several revolvers (686,586, several SA Rugers) but I don't know much about the value of such a customized revolver. Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 5:09:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like an old Police Practical rig.  They're nice guns but that particular shooting sport is all but dead.  Highly specialized set up that's not very useful for anything other than paper punching.  Personally I'd pass on it.  I own a lot of wheel guns and have never had the slightest desire for one those pistols;  there's  just not a lot you can do with them.  Most were built on Smith K frames, a Ruger in that game is somewhat uncommon.  $500 is probably a fair price if you really want it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 12:59:08 AM EDT
[#2]
If a buy it. it will be a range toy and if I get brave and shoot it in a local steel match
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#3]
If it's in good condition then buy it. None of my revolvers have been made in the last 30 years. I love them all.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 1:52:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I would pass on it since it isn't a .357 Magnum.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 9:58:29 PM EDT
[#5]
For anything other than DA shooting in a practical match, the bobbed hammer is a liability.  It's a modification that offered no advantage in a practical revolver, where there was no issue with the hammer snagging.  The lighter bobbed hammer may have a slightly faster lock time but not enough to make a difference in accuracy when shooting in DA mode.  

The only place where a bobbed hammer was used was with certain police departments that ordered the pistol without the spur to eliminate the possibility of officers shooting their revolvers in SA mode, out of concern that a nervous officer with the hammer cocked would accidentally shoot a suspect.

Consistent with that, the vast majority of Six series revolvers that were sold in .38 Special were ordered that way by a police department.  There were a small number that were chambered  in .38 Special for the retail market by Ruger, but their potentially enhanced value due to relative rarity is lost when it's modified.  

Consequently, I'd pass on it due to the hammer, the .38 Special caliber, and the price, which is more than it's worth.  Unless you find someone who wants exactly that set up, you won't get your money back out of it.

In comparison, $400 to $450 will get you a stock Security Six in excellent condition, and you can get a Service Six for about $50 less in the same condition.

----

generally speaking it's a bad practice to factor in the price of accessories in the price of a firearm, unless it's something that is equally rare and collectible - like a correct vintage holster that is equally rare and collectible and has its own intrinsic value.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 10:41:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I did not buy it but, I know the guy who did and he let me shoot it. If you like wheel guns and you get a chance you need to shoot a Clark Custom revolver, it is the slickest action on a revolver I have ever shot. I have many factory custom shop revolvers and none of them are close. It is completely purpose built gun that has no practical use other than the range. Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 3:50:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did not buy it but, I know the guy who did and he let me shoot it. If you like wheel guns and you get a chance you need to shoot a Clark Custom revolver, it is the slickest action on a revolver I have ever shot. I have many factory custom shop revolvers and none of them are close. It is completely purpose built gun that has no practical use other than the range. Thanks for the replies.
View Quote

You need to shoot a DW......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top