Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/11/2016 1:23:40 PM EDT
Thinking about picking up an 85 series in 38 Spl.  

Did the youtube thing for reviews, however would like some input from others.

If you have had any experience,

Could you chime in?

TIA
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 1:32:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a Taurus 94 in 22LR.  My impression is "clunky and stiff".  Tried a modified mainspring and trigger return spring to get the pull weight down some, and it was no longer reliable so I ended up going back to the factory springs.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 3:23:06 PM EDT
[#2]
My Son in Law has a nickel model 85, I think it is a 2 1/2" or 3" barrel, it shoots OK and has been reliable.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 3:44:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the poly 85.    Basic protection.    A few hundred rds without an issue.    15 yds is a LONG shot, but thats probably true for all snubbies.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 3:45:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Forgot to add, I really like mine
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 3:56:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got a model 85 ultralite I've had since 97, probably put 500 rounds through it. Never had any issues.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 5:04:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Ive got a .22 snubbie i use for dog training. I like it, it always works
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 5:19:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I have stainless model 44. 5 1/2" ported barrel. Accurate pistol, though the double action trigger is stiff as hell. Have had it for years and never had an issue.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 5:25:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I've always considered the .44 mag Tracker model, $499 at my local academy sports. I feel that $499 for a .44 is cheap but also $499 for a Taurus is pricey. What do you all think of the price? Good way to enter the .44 mag market? Or save up for a smith? I'm more interested in the cartridge rather than the name
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 5:53:35 PM EDT
[#9]
My dad bought a 22lr revolver years ago. It has been back for service several times. Good thing they have a lifetime warranty. Having to cash in on that has not been fun. It is and will be the only Taurus either of us ever own.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 6:43:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I've only owned two Taurus revolvers in my life. NOT  impressed with them at all.  Sold both of them.

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 6:57:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a second owner stainless 85.  I have shot the hell out of it and carry it a lot. It is actually machined better than the Smith 36 that I had from the same era.  Both guns were identical in accuracy.

I also had a 85CH that the original owner wanted back.  

I got a lightweight 85 in an estate sale and it was very punishing. I shot it once and sold it. There was no way to get a followup shot with full house 38 loads.  I couldn't keep a grip on it.

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 8:03:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a 617.  So far no issues with about 400 rounds through it of .38 special and .357 magnum.  The trigger is heavy compared to my Ruger Redhawks and Smith K-frames.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 8:15:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a 605 that would regularly lock up and wouldn't do anything. Never again. There's too many other good revolvers out there.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 8:17:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 10:27:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I had one of their 4" .38s in the late 80s that shot fine.  Basic gun, mediocre trigger, accurate enough.  I had belonged to an armored car guy when I got it and I put several hundred rounds through it before selling it.  Bought a $" 94 in the early 90s for $100.  It had to go back to Taurus for a rebarrel due to a bur in the forcing cone but other than that it's been pretty good.  As already noted, the trigger on the .22s is heavy and while you can smooth it a little, it needs the heavy springs.  I used to carry it in the woods a lot but it hasn't been out of the safe in some years now.  I've also got my grandfather's 85 and have shot it a handful of times.  It works but it's nothing special.

For whatever reason, I just don't like Taurus guns grips, even with aftermarket grips.  S&W's feel right to me but the Taurus guns always feel just slightly off.  [://  Definitely not my 1st or 2nd choice in a revolver but a little smoothing and replace the springs (except on the .22s) and they're serviceable for someone looking for an inexpensive gun that won't see a high round count or hot loads.  I know several people who use them as truck/car guns and I think they're good for that.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 1:38:05 AM EDT
[#16]
At one point I was tempted to get a Tracker in .357 as a target gun.

It took a while, but in the end I made the right decision.
20151116_084317 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

Taurus makes okay guns. They're definitely built to a price point. Sharp edges, spotty QC, rough actions, finishes, etc.

I would choose a Ruger LCR or Smith and Wesson Airweight any day.
20151111_091707 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

Folks trash S&W and Ruger on occasion, but you're far less likely to get a lemon than with Taurus, and will have a better built, more durable gun with resale value regardless.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 2:15:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I have the 85 Ultra-Lite Titanium. Full power defensive loads are a bit harsh on the recoil area, but I reload so I tone the practice rounds done some.
I usually carry this or my .380 when I go out to walk the dogs after dark. I run the 158 grain Speer hollow points for SD.

Link Posted: 6/12/2016 3:33:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  I've always considered the .44 mag Tracker model, $499 at my local academy sports. I feel that $499 for a .44 is cheap but also $499 for a Taurus is pricey. What do you all think of the price? Good way to enter the .44 mag market? Or save up for a smith? I'm more interested in the cartridge rather than the name
View Quote

Think that's the 5 shot ported model.  Loud and light for a .44", but cheap.

I think the Judge is supreme snake medicine, would be fun w/ .45" Cowboy Action loads.  The S&W Governor is 6 shots, will run .45" ACP as well.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 4:41:54 PM EDT
[#19]

I impulse bought a stainless M85 last year, on sale for $229...

It's been a solid little gun so far. I added Hogue grips and a front sight insert. Probably close to 500 trouble free rds thru it now. I don't shoot it a lot and only carry it now and then, still, I think its a good little gun especially for the price point I paid.

Link Posted: 6/15/2016 3:28:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Father in law picked up an ultralight a couple months back, pretty cheap so he jumped on it. We've shot it a good bit and its been great so far, trigger could be a tad better though. No real sights on it, but can hit a plate at 25yds repeatedly.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 7:23:49 AM EDT
[#21]
No love for Taurus here.

If I was ever tempted to go cheap and buy a Taurus I would know in my heart that what I really wanted was a Smith and Wesson. After I bought the Taurus I'd still want the Smith and Wesson and probably would never be happy until I dumped the Taurus and bought what I really wanted.

<--------- Owns seven S&W revolvers and not a single Taurus. I hardly remember what I paid for any of my Smiths. What's that they say? "Quality is treasured long after price is forgotten." Good revolvers last a lifetime. It's foolish to go cheap.

If price was not an issue would anybody ever buy a new revolver that was NOT made by Smith and Wesson or Ruger? Price is the only reason that Taurus and Charter Arms can stay in business. The price difference, considered over the life of the gun, simply isn't worth it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 8:26:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
No love for Taurus here.

If I was ever tempted to go cheap and buy a Taurus I would know in my heart that what I really wanted was a Smith and Wesson. After I bought the Taurus I'd still want the Smith and Wesson and probably would never be happy until I dumped the Taurus and bought what I really wanted.

<--------- Owns seven S&W revolvers and not a single Taurus. I hardly remember what I paid for any of my Smiths. What's that they say? "Quality is treasured long after price is forgotten." Good revolvers last a lifetime. It's foolish to go cheap.
View Quote

same.. bought a taurus model 82 or 83 (don't remember which) which was a South American police trade in.. basically a model 10 copy. Decided to ditch the copy and get the real thing. I was not impressed on the Taurus..it was built ok but why settle for a copy.

So i went to s&w and never looked back and haven't regretted it yet.

Lastly, comparing prices we are not talking about hundreds and hundreds of dollars different in price.. usually just a couple (100-300 max).. rather pay a couple more for something that will hold its value more than a s&w clone. That and the quality is there..

Not trying to start a flame war.. just my opinion.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:22:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

So i went to s&w and never looked back and haven't regretted it yet . . .
View Quote

Nobody ever regrets buying the best . . . nobody . . . ever . . . (not just a S&W thing, just a thing thing)
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 10:05:10 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a Taurus Model 85 Ultra-Lite, nickel, in .38 special.  I've probably put 200 rounds thru it over the years.  It's just an OK gun, not my favorite, but then I didn't buy it, my father in law did.  I will upgrade to something else as soon as I get the money.  If you want a cheap revolver, it will do the job, but there are better things out there.  I upgraded the stock grip to a Hogue, which lets me get all my fingers around it, and the recoil still starts to hurt after about 30 rounds.  Accuracy, is minute of bad guy, that's about it.  The trigger is actually pretty smooth, just very heavy.  It has always functioned well, except for one time I shot a whole lot of very old lead bullets.  After about 50 rounds, the lead built up around the forcing cone, and the cylinder started binding, making it difficult to close the cylinder after reloading.  After cleaning, the issue went away.  If you need to shoot 50 rounds in a firefight with this gun, then you live a very different lifestyle than most of us...
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 5:11:24 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a 608 .357 and it's one of my favorite handguns.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 12:22:11 PM EDT
[#26]
I have an 85, built like a tank, but the trigger is bad. I bought a Wolf replacement but have not put it in yet. I was lucky enough to be checking out a big box sporting goods store and it was on sale for $200, so I threw the dice. It is accurate just very heavy trigger.  Anyone have any feedback/tips on the Wolf spring set up?

Thanks
Huck
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have an 85, built like a tank, but the trigger is bad. I bought a Wolf replacement but have not put it in yet. I was lucky enough to be checking out a big box sporting goods store and it was on sale for $200, so I threw the dice. It is accurate just very heavy trigger.  Anyone have any feedback/tips on the Wolf spring set up?

Thanks
Huck
View Quote

I put the Wolff spring kits  in my SP101 .327 Mag, GP100 .357 Mag and Redhawk .44 Mag and have been extremely happy.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 12:51:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 1:06:29 PM EDT
[#29]
I prefer Taurus over S&W.  Yes, I own both.

Now I will wait while the S&W fanboys look for tape to put their exploded heads back together...

...drawer by the fridge, behind the allen wrenches...

...all better, now?  Allow me to explain:

The S&W onboard lock on the frame is an abortion.  It is prone to locking up the gun under certain circumstances.  The S&W revolvers I own have had the onboard locks removed and the hole plugged for cosmetic reasons.

The Taurus lock is on the hammer.  I haven't read any instances of it spontaneously engaging on anybody.  Thus, better.

Re-sale value is better.  Yeah, I'm serious.  See, you pay less up-front for a Taurus and if you actually ever shoot your guns then the S&W re-sale prices drop a lot.  As a result, when you go to sell it you lose less money as a Taurus ages rather than a S&W.  The only way a S&W "appreciates" is if you never fire it (or even turn the cylinder) which makes it pointless in my eyes.  Go buy beanie babies if you're that guy.

Look-up the Buffalo Bore ammo loads in .44 Mag and see which guns can and cannot take them.  The vaunted S&W model 29 (AKA "Dirty Harry") can't shoot them but the Taurus Raging Bull can.

I have carried Taurus 627, 617, 44 Tracker and 445.  I also used to carry S&W 625 & 325.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 5:55:43 PM EDT
[#30]
I have one in .357 and .44 special.  Pretty good guns in my opinion.

" />
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 8:46:13 PM EDT
[#31]
In my area a model 85 Taurus is around $300, a J frame Smith is $350. Not worth the price difference IMO. I had a model 85 that the firing pin spring bound up at the range, enough reason for me to dump it for the real deal. If you have a problem with a Taurus you have to pay for the ride, and their turn around time is pretty atrocious along with their ability to actually repair it. A Smith and Wesson you will be emailed a prepaid shipping label and get the gun back in a week or 2 at the most.

It's not just brand snobbish actions, Smith will treat you like a 1st rate customer regardless of the price you pay, Taurus will treat you typically like you are bothering them and get to it when they feel like it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 9:32:04 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a good accurate and reliable Taurus 605, had it for a dozen years or more.  I add ATI grips for small frame and it is even better.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 9:39:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I prefer Taurus over S&W.  Yes, I own both.

Now I will wait while the S&W fanboys look for tape to put their exploded heads back together...

...drawer by the fridge, behind the allen wrenches...

...all better, now?  Allow me to explain:

The S&W onboard lock on the frame is an abortion.  It is prone to locking up the gun under certain circumstances.  The S&W revolvers I own have had the onboard locks removed and the hole plugged for cosmetic reasons.

The Taurus lock is on the hammer.  I haven't read any instances of it spontaneously engaging on anybody.  Thus, better.

Re-sale value is better.  Yeah, I'm serious.  See, you pay less up-front for a Taurus and if you actually ever shoot your guns then the S&W re-sale prices drop a lot.  As a result, when you go to sell it you lose less money as a Taurus ages rather than a S&W.  The only way a S&W "appreciates" is if you never fire it (or even turn the cylinder) which makes it pointless in my eyes.  Go buy beanie babies if you're that guy.

Look-up the Buffalo Bore ammo loads in .44 Mag and see which guns can and cannot take them.  The vaunted S&W model 29 (AKA "Dirty Harry") can't shoot them but the Taurus Raging Bull can.

I have carried Taurus 627, 617, 44 Tracker and 445.  I also used to carry S&W 625 & 325.  YMMV.
View Quote

no fan of new s&w. For me the CNC / lack of hand polishing / finishing / MIM / internal lock / 2 piece barrels. Just not my thing; BUT you can get a classic s&w for about as much as a new one.

My newest s&w was made in 1988.. for that reason.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 9:57:47 PM EDT
[#34]
My wife bought a Model 85 for her carry gun back in the early 90's.  Probably had 500+ rounds through it with at leas 100 +P and no issues.  She loves it, and I like shooting it.  She likes it better than my J-frame Airweight.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 5:48:41 AM EDT
[#35]
I had a stainless 85. Within the first 100 rounds the hammer spur broke off and bounced off my forehead while fireing.

It went back to the factory. Within 100 rounds the trigger broke on the replacement.

The store gave me my money back.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:39:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Well, CDNN has the SS M85 on sale for $279, so I bit the bullet (along with a Walther P22 and PPS 40 S&W).

Will give an update when I get a chance to shoot the the little bull.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 6:33:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Thanks
Huck
View Quote

There have been reports of one of the springs being too long and needing to have a couple of coils cut off- I want to say the trigger return spring.  Years ago I swapped springs on a model 85 and had no issues.  The same kit will not reliably set off .22s in the model 94.  On the three guns that I've seen opened up, all three benefited from polishing as the factory doesn't seem to do much of that.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#38]
I have a Taurus 450 Ultra Lite (.45 Colt only) that I like. It had to go back once, but they seem to have fixed it. Trigger is so-so, but it's a great carry gun that fires a big bullet.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 12:54:46 PM EDT
[#39]
I have had my Tracker 627 in 357 magnum for years. After 1000s of rounds downrange I have never had a single issue......
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 11:29:29 PM EDT
[#40]
I bought an 85 UL last year. I bought a new one from a gun shop on the net. When I got it, I noticed the quality has gone down compared to revolvers I have bought in the past 10-20 years from them. The rear sight channel was cut way off to the left and would cause the point of aim to be off. Granted these are not sight functioning guns but I was kind of p.o.. When I contacted Taurus about it they said it was not covered under warranty as it was a cosmetic issue and not a functional issue. That told me they don't care about their product. I still have the revolver and it shoots/functions good, but I will not buy another.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 1:01:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I prefer Taurus over S&W. Yes, I own both.
[snip]
Re-sale value is better.  Yeah, I'm serious.
View Quote

Preferences aside, there's no way.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 1:17:25 AM EDT
[#42]
My EDC is a 617, 7 shot, 357. Love it. 1000+ rounds never had a problem.

I also own a 3" Judge as a fun gun/beater. Who knows how many rounds I have through it, no failures, and I've abused it. Mostly 45 Colt handloads.

Maybe I got lucky.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 11:34:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Had a 85CH which developed a timing issue.  
Sent it back to Taurus.
After a few hundred rounds, timing went off again.
Sent it back again.
Sold it.
Last Taurus ever.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 5:01:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Bought one new in the mid 80's (a Nickel 66 if I remember right) and it was an ok piece. Kept it a few years when that was all I could afford, accurate and totally reliable. It was very similar to the Smiths (in design) at the time, sort of a gray market knock off. I sold it for what I paid for it, so I did ok getting rid of it. The new ones don't seem to have the fit and finish of the older ones, don't think I'd buy a new one today unless that was all I could afford.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 10:00:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Shot a Taurus ultralight, it shot fine but due to the light weight it was snappy and mean.

Have shot several PT1911's and those are much more pleasant.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 10:16:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Taurus 608: 8-shot .357 magnum....

Link Posted: 7/6/2016 10:40:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I have a 4" Tracker in .41 Magnum. Had it for years and hundreds of rounds. I also have S&W's - I like them fine also.

I would NOT sell you my Tracker for 500.00 bucks - I value it more than that.

http://i51.tinypic.com/4r81hd.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've always considered the .44 mag Tracker model, $499 at my local academy sports. I feel that $499 for a .44 is cheap but also $499 for a Taurus is pricey. What do you all think of the price? Good way to enter the .44 mag market? Or save up for a smith? I'm more interested in the cartridge rather than the name

I have a 4" Tracker in .41 Magnum. Had it for years and hundreds of rounds. I also have S&W's - I like them fine also.

I would NOT sell you my Tracker for 500.00 bucks - I value it more than that.

http://i51.tinypic.com/4r81hd.jpg

Have the same gun in .357, the grip split and I replaced it with a Hogue.  It's accurate and smooth but will rattle your teeth.

I wish there were some good aftermarket sight options.

Used to be my woods gun, nearly drew it on a crackhead running at me from the bush once, but he caught a glimpse of stainless and turned polite in a hurry.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 12:14:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I prefer Taurus over S&W . . .

Re-sale value is better.  Yeah, I'm serious. . . .
View Quote

I could see that if we're talking guns purchased new in recent years. The key is the buyer of the used gun. People who buy Taurus revolvers are generally low-information/experience buyers who are motivated almost solely by price. When faced with a used Taurus revolver they may bite simply because the price is cheap enough that they can afford it. They haven't done the research to know that the used gun they're looking at is priced at a near-new price. They just know they have $300 to spend and can afford to buy. The Smith and Wesson buyer on the other hand is likely more experienced and much better versed on prices. They know they can buy an older, pre-lock (read BETTER) S&W revolver for $X amount and they're not going to pay that for a used new model. Just the mere fact that the Smith and Wesson is always going to be at a higher price point means that almost by definition you're dealing with more discriminating buyers.

I'm an FFL (pawnshop) and I see this phenomenon all the time. Cheap guns bring almost retail when you sell them used. It's the low price that sells them. The buyer is almost always somebody who doesn't know any better. They are motivated solely by what they can afford. The concept of "good deal" is skewed with them. It's not a good deal because it's X percentage of new price. It's a good deal because they have that much money on their debit card at the moment. The cheaper the gun, the truer this is.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 5:49:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I have a 608 .357 and it's one of my favorite handguns.
View Quote

Me too.  I love it as well.  It's cool having an 8 shot revolver!
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:29:54 PM EDT
[#50]

I think you would be much happier spending some more and getting a S&W. A model 10 if you like fixed sights or a Model 15 if you want adjustable sights. The 4 inch S&W Model 19 .357 Magnum is the best service revolver made IMO.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top