Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2016 10:59:40 PM EDT
Howdy all,

I am in search for a rubber grip for my Ruger New Model Blackhawk.  Grandfather passed the gun on to me and I would like to shoot/carry it more when out hunting. My issue is I can not get accustomed to the way the grip feels in my hands.  It feels really skinny up top and really fat on the bottom and the nearly 90 degree angle makes it worse.

Would a rubber grip for the gun make it feel a bit more like the GP100 or even the Vaquero?  Ive shot a vaquero before and that gun just naturally fits in my hand but the blackhawk just feels off.

Also can anyone reccomend a decent chest holder for one?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 12:33:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably the Pachmayr grips would be closest to what you want.  

I've never used them and always though they didn't look right on a single action.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:39:20 AM EDT
[#2]
What about something like this?

https://www.hogueinc.com/store/products/ruger-new-blackhawk-vaquero-rubber-monogrip-black/3610

Yes its ugly as sin, but I would think this would feel more like a double action revolver in your hand.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:56:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I know it's not exactly the same gun but my Freedom Arms 44 Mag with full house handloads is too much for me with the rosewood grips, just cant quite control the rolling action, so I put the Pachmayr grips on it. They look awful but feel great when shooting it with any heavy duty loads.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:28:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Those hogues do look really good.  Yes they don't match the gun but they would work untill I can afford to pick up my dream 44 mag wheel gun.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:31:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know it's not exactly the same gun but my Freedom Arms 44 Mag with full house handloads is too much for me with the rosewood grips, just cant quite control the rolling action, so I put the Pachmayr grips on it. They look awful but feel great when shooting it with any heavy duty loads.
View Quote

That's part of my issue.  I picked up some HSM 180 grain bear loads and they are too much for the stock grips I can't figure out how to hold onto it comfortably.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 12:34:27 AM EDT
[#7]
The Ruger Bisley grip frame is the best grip for heavy recoiling single actions. I like the Bisley's.

With the standard grip frame you're supposed to let the gun roll up in recoil or so I've been told.  I don't care for that.

Some of the Rugers seem to have very short grips and the little finger won't fit on them.  I do not like that at all.

Link Posted: 5/21/2016 9:17:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Try looking into a style called "Gunfighter" grips. I use them on most of my SA's.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 1:45:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I modified my Blackhawk grips into gunfighter style ones.
Narrowed up the bottoms.  Now I can shoot it without the whole thing tipping barrel down when I pull the trigger.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top