Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2016 6:35:29 PM EDT
I'm looking to procure a Colt SAA 45LC with a 4 3/4 barrel mainly for nostaglia purposes. Colt has them on their website for $1500.00 but they say the pistol is allocated obviously to certain dealers. I've checked other dealers and most of them jack the price up a thousand bucks.

Now my question is I don't mind waiting a year or so to get this pistol, and paying colts price for it. Has anyone tried going through Colt themselves to have them make one, and then send it to a dealer, or is the only way to buy from an ffl dealer who directly deals with colt?
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 8:54:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm looking to procure a Colt SAA 45LC with a 4 3/4 barrel mainly for nostaglia purposes. Colt has them on their website for $1500.00 but they say the pistol is allocated obviously to certain dealers. I've checked other dealers and most of them jack the price up a thousand bucks.

Now my question is I don't mind waiting a year or so to get this pistol, and paying colts price for it. Has anyone tried going through Colt themselves to have them make one, and then send it to a dealer, or is the only way to buy from an ffl dealer who directly deals with colt?
View Quote

a year..they are back-ordered.. for years. So try 3+years and they tie up your money.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:14:28 PM EDT
[#2]
So you're saying the only way to buy one is pay 1000 over the asking price? Blah. Colt needs to ramp up production.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:31:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So you're saying the only way to buy one is pay 1000 over the asking price? Blah. Colt needs to ramp up production.
View Quote

They won't because the SAA is not a money-maker for them. Best bet would be to monitor gunbroker.  You can sometimes get lucky.  My experience dealing directly with Colt has been...... well they went bankrupt during the biggest gun panic in history.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:44:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I got an engraved one on gunbroker for 1550 last year. Brand new with 5.5" barrel. It took me a month or so to find it and mine was the only bid.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:48:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

They won't because the SAA is not a money-maker for them. Best bet would be to monitor gunbroker.  You can sometimes get lucky.  My experience dealing directly with Colt has been...... well they went bankrupt during the biggest gun panic in history.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't that the truth. Makes no sense to me. Sad to see one of my favorite SAA went belly up. USfirearms.com. Very depressing. They made hands down, the best SAA.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 12:20:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I talked to Colt this week.  They said 2 years wait for a custom shop gun and you could choose any extras you want.  

Several on Gunbroker have been going for around list price with no reserve.  I'm gonna try the next gun show with a pocket full of cash and hope for a deal.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:35:27 AM EDT
[#7]

The 4 3/4" bbl. and 45LC caliber Colt SAA is the most sought after configuration, you will probably have to pay a premium for one but deals are out there.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 4:06:03 PM EDT
[#8]
You have been bitten by the SAA bug. Keep looking, you'll find what you want.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 9:33:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Should be very easy to find mint used ones under 1500! You need to hunt some more.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 2:00:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Should be very easy to find mint used ones under 1500! You need to hunt some more.
View Quote

Yeah. I'm thinking about getting a used one, and a new one which obviously may take some time. I've had the SAA bug before, as I have a USFA 5 1/2 45LC. It's very, very disappointing to see that USfirearms closed up shop. They made one of the finest SAA's I've ever shot.

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 8:57:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I was also on the hunt for a Colt SAA in .357 mag. Local dealers told me it would take a year or more to get one. Ended up with a Cimarron Model P (at 1/3 of the cost of the Colt) and absolutely love it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 3:27:08 PM EDT
[#12]
colts are nice.. but the folks saying you can find one for 1300 or less.. not sure where. 6m -1yr ago that was true.. but now.. you are looking at least 25%+ over retail . Demand has sky rocketed.

A cimarron  is hard to pass up for the price.. you be the judge..

to prove i am not biased.. here are a couple colts i own:

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 3:32:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Jinx, I sent you a PM.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 7:33:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I appreciate it hellifiknow.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 11:05:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was also on the hunt for a Colt SAA in .357 mag. Local dealers told me it would take a year or more to get one. Ended up with a Cimarron Model P (at 1/3 of the cost of the Colt) and absolutely love it.
View Quote

^^^BINGO^^^

There simply is no functional difference in a Uberti/Cimarron and a Colt or USFA. I owned a 3rd Generation Colt 4 3/4" .44 Special (sold it for 3x the price of a new Cimarron) a consecutive pair of USA-made 4 3/4" .38 Specials (sold for $3000) and a 5 1/2" USA-made USFA 45 Colt, which I shot the snot out of and sold for 2.5x the price of a one of the copies. I've yet to sell one of my Uberti's or Cimarron's. They're superbly accurate and very well built.

That said, I was too bitten by the sentimental Colt SA bug so I picked up a 1901 production SA in 4 3/4" 38-40 and a 1903 production Bisley 38-40. Love them both and will likely never part with them as they appreciate at an astounding rate.

If you MUST have a Colt, do as others have suggested and keep a sharp eye out on Gunbroker.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:17:20 AM EDT
[#16]

Like the man said "Keep lookin and you will find a deal"!!
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:57:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought a very nice Talo Colt in .45acp on the EE.

One of my favorites.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 3:32:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I bought a very nice Talo Colt in .45acp on the EE.

One of my favorites.
View Quote

I love the Grips on those. I wonder if you can put those on the 3rd gen 45LC model.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 7:55:03 AM EDT
[#19]

I would like a Colt...but seriously after owning Cimarron/Uberti's and shooting them a lot....Not going to happen. I think the Italians are much better at making a SAA than Colt does, and given Colts business acumen why throw good money at such a horrible company.

Guess I'm not that impressed by Colt any longer....Dang it, another childhood dream smashed by incompetency.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top