Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2016 9:41:04 PM EDT
One thing after another today.

So when I get home I decide to clean the little bit of lead (very minor amount) from my forcing cone to unwind.
I grabbed one of the copper scrubbers from the kitchen and wrap a few strands on the bore mop and whirl it the forcing cone maybe 10 spins
Lead is gone, cool.

Go to put the pad up and notice it's a copper coated scrubber. Sticks to a magnet, I give up.

First time trying to clean the forcing cone with it so hopefully my gun isn't screwed up.
I guess I'll shoot it tomorrow, anything I should watch for?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:45:12 PM EDT
[#1]
It'll be fine.

fyi:  there are no more copper scrubbers
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:54:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I've used Frontier Big 45 cleaning material for years to clean lead from my pistols... never an issue
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:00:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It'll be fine.
View Quote

Chore Boy still make an all copper pad.  Use piece of it to de-lead my revolvers all the time.

ETA, sorry about the bad link I think I fixed it.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:04:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Chore Boy still make an all copper pad.  Use piece of it to de-lead my revolvers all the time.

http://www.amazon.com/Chore-Boy-Copper-Scouring-Pad-2ct/dp/B006K3XS5A/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1461984862&sr=8-1&keywords=chore+boy+copper+scrubbers

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It'll be fine.

http://www.amazon.com/Chore-Boy-Copper-Scouring-Pad-2ct/dp/B006K3XS5A/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1461984862&sr=8-1&keywords=chore+boy+copper+scrubbers

that's great!  they definitely aren't available in my AO.  Everything I've found is coated steel.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:50:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Same in my area, to many crack heads use the copper in their pipes. The stores got tied of having it stole off the shelves and quit carrying it. I order mine on line and have it delivered to the house via the brown truck.

You didn't hurt your forcing cone any with that limited amount of cleaning. I've used the finer grades of 4-ott steel wool to burnish cylinders and forcing cones for decades. You have a 22lr pistol/revolver that builds up a carbon ring extremely fast stopping the ammo from seating. Burnishing that area will greatly improve the your range time between cleaning. The same holds true with centerfires/lead bullets.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:43:25 AM EDT
[#6]
If your revolver is a big bore Ruger, it will shoot better with the forcing cone
hogged out a bit.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:48:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Buy 'em by the dozen. Strangely, they are a damn fine pot scrubber too.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:00:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If your revolver is a big bore Ruger, it will shoot better with the forcing cone
hogged out a bit.

View Quote

It's a 686+ pro series barely had it 4 months. It's my first wheel gun.

I came back in and I believe it's fine I shot a pretty tight group roughly 3 inches at 15-20 yards off handed
And I can still hit my 6" plate at 40 yards double action.

The forcing cone looks ok, I usually shoot plated bullets too.

What are the supposed ill effects of copper coated steel?
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:35:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

that's great!  they definitely aren't available in my AO.  Everything I've found is coated steel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It'll be fine.

I find them at Ace Hardware.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:16:25 PM EDT
[#10]
What I use.

http://www.amazon.com/Moonshine-Distiller-100%25-Pure-Copper/dp/B00ED2F0EC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1462068774&sr=8-5&keywords=Copper+mesh

Can't make the link hot for some reason...

Anyway, Snip off a bit and wrap around a worn bore brush. My roll will probably outlast me...

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:25:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

http://www.amazon.com/Chore-Boy-Copper-Scouring-Pad-2ct/dp/B006K3XS5A

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It'll be fine.

http://www.amazon.com/Chore-Boy-Copper-Scouring-Pad-2ct/dp/B006K3XS5A

Yep,just used some last week.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:00:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What are the supposed ill effects of copper coated steel?
View Quote

You don't want to damage your forcing cone or bore during cleaning.
The steel pad is much harder than copper or brass and can potentially scratch or
gouge the revolver.

IMO, I would not worry about the effect of using steel wool once on the forcing cone.
The forcing cone is made of very hard and brittle steel to prevent erosion during firing.  It would be
difficult to damage it easily.

I would be much more concerned with the effect of running steel wool through the barrel.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top