Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2015 10:07:56 PM EDT
I just picked up my 929. Of course I'm excited! Trigger felt really heavy for a "Performance Center" pistol--both single and double action. When I got home I measured them. The single action was around 4 lbs 6 oz. the double action was around 11 lb 9 oz!! It had a couple that were too heavy for my Lyman digital pull scale!! I rotated the cylinder around and found that per 8 try's the cylinder was not locking up. I cocked the gun back and when it was all the way back I could move the cylinder and it would click or lock in. I pulled double action as well and checked it before the hammer would release and found the same thing. It was not consistent--meaning it would happen on the same cylinder.

Another thing I found was that it appears that those hard trigger pulls that would not register are a result of the cylinder dragging across the back of the barrel. It just feels like something is dragging. Anyway, what would you do? Call Smith and send it back? Send it to someone to work on? I want to see if I have problems with stuck cases so I can bring that up as well, but not sure I want to risk anything. Opinions? Options? Other areas to look at?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:13:22 PM EDT
[#1]
My friend bought one and was also disappointed with it. He had a gunsmith do a trigger job on it and he bobbed the hammer. It is a nice shooting gun but for the money he spent on it I would pass.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:22:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry to hear about it I have had to send a couple S&W PC's bnib back to S&W they paid shipping both ways and in my case I had the gun back within 2 weeks all problems solved. It sucks but I was pleased with S&W customer service and I keep buying them. I would call them up and have them send you a return label.  Good luck
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:47:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Tagged for resolution or confirmation
Of a problem.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:14:25 PM EDT
[#4]
If have been very underwhelmed by the new S&W. I was a die hard Smith fan. All of my new DA revolvers are now Rugers. The only Smiths I kept were grandpas duty weapon and my first custom snubby.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 4:09:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Rugers have their issues too.  I've seen a couple different tight cylinder chambers that needed to be sent back in the last 6 months alone on different boards.  But that's not to say Smith doesn't have qc issues too.  I don't know.  I would send that back for sure.  Obviously there is an acceptable spec between the forcing cone and cylnder and it sounds like yours might be too tight.  Or it's out of time or both.  

FWIW, my 442 trigger pull is about 13 pounds.  11 doesn't seem super duper heavy to me.  I'm not sure what customary is though.  I'm still sort of a revolver newb.  My Colt DS's is like 8-9 pounds though.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:34:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I would contact S&W customer service. I'm sure they will take care of it in a prompt manner.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 9:33:43 PM EDT
[#7]
wonder if the ejector rod is loose or bent? either way make smith fix it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 11:53:04 PM EDT
[#8]
If the front of the cylinder is touching the forcing cone of the barrel the gun has end shake issues. This would cause excessive resistance to the rotation of the cylinder which will cause excessive wear on the ratchets on the extractor and cause timing issues (not locking up before the hammer is all the way back). The hand that rotates the cylinder is hardened and will easily wear off the ratchets if there is more than normal resistance to the cylinder rotating.

You need to send it back to the factory. It should not have excessive end shake as it is a new gun.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 8:32:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If have been very underwhelmed by the new S&W. I was a die hard Smith fan. All of my new DA revolvers are now Rugers. The only Smiths I kept were grandpas duty weapon and my first custom snubby.
View Quote
Correct...

The current S&W is crap. They are a shadow of their former self and are cashing in the on legacy of their name and the fond memories of yesteryear.

Their M&Ps suck, their current two piece barreled revolvers suck, even their Performance Center sucks.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 1:55:47 PM EDT
[#10]
May as well get used to it: We are now Smith & Wesson's Quality Control Department. That said, there was nothing wrong with my brand-new Model 642-2 that some polishing of the internals and an Apex Duty Spring Kit couldn't fix. Other than that and my duty revolver, a Model 686-6 which has never had any issues, all my S&W revolvers are at least 33 years old with one of them over 100 and another quickly approaching the century mark.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 1:02:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Some turds get out regardless of manufacturer.

Some folks feel the butt hurt more than others when they get one.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 2:22:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some turds get out regardless of manufacturer.

Some folks feel the butt hurt more than others when they get one.
View Quote

LOL.  That'd be me.  I've got two guns that are just so irritating to me because I'm having to try and get them fixed before I really felt they should.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 5:24:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I would try returning it to the store that sold it to you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top