Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2015 3:00:40 PM EDT
looking for a snubbie 22LR revolver for using snake shot. what's out there and what should i stay away from?
thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#1]
SW 617
Ruger SP101
Taurus Tracker 22lr/22mag

Prob in that order. I have had all three and still own the SW and Tracker(Ruger left in a trade). I am no Taurus fan but have the Tracker in .22 and .17 and they are a blast to shoot.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 3:26:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Ruger lcr can be had in 22 if you are looking for a lightweight option
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 4:20:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 4:41:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Old used smith 34 or the newer 43c in the j frame size also stainless 63 or the lightweight 317.
Old colts at times can be found but not nearly as sturdy
Ruger I think made the sp101 in 22 as well.
None will be cheap
If you want cheap beater gun the old H&R revolvers or high standard sentinel
No reason in my mind to buy anything new
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 4:42:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Mine was very inaccurate.  I'm sure I was part of the problem but even by snubbie standards it sprayed bullets in a pattern more than a group.  I'm a big Ruger fan.  I have owned lots of them and will continue to do so.  But that thing just wouldn't shoot.  The trigger is noticeably stiffer than the 38 models (which is true of most DA 22's).
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 5:10:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Used primarily, or even largely, for snakeshot, the lightweight LCR would be just the ticket IMHO... and I'm very much a S&W guy.

But be aware that snakeshot loads in 22LR out of a short barrel are very weak, need to be point blank or almost so to be effective at all.  Just my experience, YMMV.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Used primarily, or even largely, for snakeshot, the lightweight LCR would be just the ticket IMHO... and I'm very much a S&W guy.

But be aware that snakeshot loads in 22LR out of a short barrel are very weak, need to be point blank or almost so to be effective at all.  Just my experience, YMMV.

interesting, i've never used snake shot in 22lr, just 38 spl.  not sure i want to get point blank with a diamondback or mohave rattler.  

it's my packing pistol when i go mountain bike riding, way too many rattlers to pass up and the 38 is a little big and heavy for this use and the snake shot ammo is sold out everywhere.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 6:01:41 PM EDT
[#8]
To answer the OP's original question I would suggest S&W 617 or the Ruger lcr. .
I will say I am a trigger snob as I believe that is the base of a well shooting revolver.

The SP101 in rimfire and some of the other small S&W guns are reliable decent guns but the triggers are not as nice as the 617 and LCR.

The other suggestion is to not trust the rimfire shot shells and just get a 38 . The alloy S&W like the 642 is quite light and the 38 shot shells have way more
shot capacity.

Side benefit is the 642 is about the cheapest S&W out there and can be used for other social tasks with different ammo
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 12:35:50 AM EDT
[#9]
i do have a taurus snubbie hammerless that i carry now. just ran out of snakeshot and have been using reloads. just a bit loud and have to really watch the aim. maybe i'll dont load them more.

thanks for the info on the 22 snakeshot
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 11:22:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Why not just leave the snakes alone and keep on riding?
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 3:07:11 AM EDT
[#11]
How about a NAA if it is only going to be a designated snake gun?
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 7:17:53 AM EDT
[#12]
how about a ruger single six or a bearcat?

clown
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 10:05:12 AM EDT
[#13]
The answer of a southpaw.

Link Posted: 9/27/2015 4:59:18 PM EDT
[#14]
smith 34 the true snubbie 22lr

don't over look the NAA in 22 magnum 3 years ago my wife wanted the same I got here he naa mini in 22lre or 22mag, convertablecylinder

ruger single 6 is also 22lr & 22 mag

as far as what to avoid 22lr is a very low pressure round it causes lttle wear just double check for leading in the forcing cone& barrel.

also be aware you can get 38 spc birdshot too so a jframe or any small 38 may be awesome for you.  

38 spc shot shell
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top