Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2015 2:15:41 PM EDT
Just got back from a backpacking trip and I was unloading my 310 to put it in the safe and the cylinder won't close, like there's something in the way. I've never had any issues with it before, so I am a little confused at what the problem is. I tried the lock, but it didn't help.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 2:36:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Check all the screws to see that they are tight.
Check lock if it is one that has lock at location of cylinder release.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 2:43:14 PM EDT
[#2]
The muzzle end of the cylinder pin is knurled, this can loosen up with use or carry.Try tightening the cylinder pin.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 2:53:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The muzzle end of the cylinder pin is knurled, this can loosen up with use or carry.Try tightening the cylinder pin.
View Quote

Thank you! This fixed it and good to know. Arfcom delivers.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:53:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, you can usually get it a little tighter and put less stress on the extractor star if you do the tightening with some fired brass in the cylinders.

This is especially important in older Smiths that use the two pins to to locate the extractor star as they can sheer off.

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:13:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:20:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This can also happen if you have crud under the extractor.

Ask me how I know.
View Quote

That was going to be my first suggestion as well. It is amazing how a tiny amount of unburnt powder can stop everything.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:55:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Darn round guns are so unreliable

Just what everyone has said, check ejector rod and brush out under the star and look for loose screws . Check face of cylinder and rear of cylinder cut out for crud .

Just go slow . When a shooter finds something hanging up their revolver they tend to panic and start slamming things around . Go slow and look at stuff before you force anything .
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 7:16:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That was going to be my first suggestion as well. It is amazing how a tiny amount of unburnt powder can stop everything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask me how I know.

Yes, I'm a revolver fan, but I point this particular vulnerability out anytime I encounter someone who says that revolvers are 100% reliable.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:10:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Yes, I'm a revolver fan, but I point this particular vulnerability out anytime I encounter someone who says that revolvers are 100% reliable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ask me how I know.

I'm a revolver fan as well; additionally there are some fragile pieces parts in them and if one breaks it is not getting back in service without some time on the bench. I've had 3 wheelguns break parts over the years, a Python, a Model 67 (2x) and a J Frame - it was a lock model and it had less than 500 rounds through it when it happened. The other 2 had a boatload of rounds through them.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:02:40 PM EDT
[#10]
All of you are absolutely crazy.

Revolvers cannot jam.

Autos take forever to get back into action.  

Also, no one has ever had a revolver lock up because of excessive fouling, dirt, and crud in the Barrel/Cylinder B/C gap.    Then, there is that falsehood that one can prevent a revolver from firing just by grabbing across the top strap and holding the cylinder.  

Everyone knows revolvers can't jam up or lock up.

Well, maybe, sort'a.    I suppose everything has its limits.

Link Posted: 8/7/2015 2:16:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Keep those revolvers clean!  A friend of mine fired his S&W Model J .38 Spl. at a hold up man,Hit him in the head killing him. He turned to fire at a second robber and all he heard was  a click! The second guy ran away. It turned out that due to a hard ball of oily crud had caused the cylinder not to rotate for the next round or some thing like that. The crud was hair,lint etc and dried up oil. He was also involved in two more shootings at two different job locations. You can bet he had that gun cleaned and tuned up! My own S&W  Model 10 came out of storage in my safe for a check up. To my surprise the cylinder was hard to open and close.  It was slick when I put it away. Where did that  unseen crud come from?It needed a good internal cleaning. Tolerences checked out OK. Dirt was the problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top