Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2015 11:50:34 AM EDT
I have a Colt Detective that was made in 1973. Can I shoot the +P ammo through it?
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 12:23:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 12:24:48 PM EDT
[#2]
In the linked article, go down to the "fourth issue" which was made in 1973, it addresses the use of +P.

http://www.coltfever.com/Detective_Special.html

I have the "fifth issue" Det. Spec. and my practice is when carried +P is good to have, but for a range session normal .38 spec is what I shoot.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 10:25:00 PM EDT
[#3]
First 1973 is not old - when you talk revolvers 1923 might be considered old.
:)
If you ever had a doubt  with a particular gun just shoot standard pressure. Beyond a life threatening situation ( at which point who cares if you wreck the gun) there is never any use to running plus p at all
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 11:49:45 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are looking for a good non + p defensive load try this. https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=110

Faster follow up shots than +p and not as hard on your gun.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 7:45:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Beyond a life threatening situation ( at which point who cares if you wreck the gun) there is never any use to running plus p at all
View Quote

There is merit to training with your carry ammo.

There is a common misconception that an "adrenaline dump" at the moment of truth will magically make it all happen and such...but if anything that makes things harder. That will not improve your technique, form, or accuracy. Most often high stress will degrade ones skills to their lowest level, not highest.

Do as you choose, but a DS is more likely to go out of time from regular practice than get shaken loose from occasional +p use.

As an aside, most Cobras and Agents I see are in better shape mechanically because folks shoot them less. Colt used to advise that the alloy guns should be serviced after 1000 rounds of +p and the steel guns after 3000.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 12:53:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Rick I agree with you as far as practice what you carry and the technique under stress etc.
My bottom line no 38 is suddenly going to turn I to a hand grenade with plus p and if you choose to carry it plus perhaps shoot a box of plus p every month out of it you will be at it a long time prior to hurting the gun. While understanding the recoil of plus p and learning to control it is a worthwhile endeavor, most people not raised on revolvers will benefit from efforts focusing on fundamental technique they can effectively hone with non plus p ammo.
To take this to the extreme there are some highly ranked ipsc shooters from japan who practice with air soft all year then pick up a live gun only for the match and shoot well.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 9:21:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Beyond a life threatening situation ( at which point who cares if you wreck the gun) there is never any use to running plus p at all
View Quote

While I agree, I like to shoot loads that offer a similar feel as my carry ammo so I often handload .38's on the warm side of things.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:05:30 PM EDT
[#8]
It only has maybe 200 rounds through it. So I'll stick to normal ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top