Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2015 9:54:52 AM EDT

Spent about 4 hours on it last night.  Used "Mother's Mag and Aluminum Wheel" polish with some cloth type polishing wheels in my cordless drill for the most part, a little bit by hand.  I think it came out pretty nice...my phone pics don't really do the finish justice...I'll try to get some better pics tonight.

I'm sure I will keep working at it by hand when I'm watching movies or something.  I may even take it to the big wheel at work and hit it a little more...

Before:

After:

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:56:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Sweet BBQ gun!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 12:25:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I like it!

I would like to see one polished to the point the finish looks like nickel plating on a Smith.  I've seen the high polish on Ruger single actions but not a double action.

Please keep posting pictures of your progress if you decide to continue.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:35:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Try switching up to Mothers Billet polish. It's a bit more aggressive on stainless. Local car parts place should have it. Use to use it on my motorcycles. I used it on my Glossy Vaqueros and my 1858 Remington black powder to really put some depth in the finish.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 4:02:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Try switching up to Mothers Billet polish. It's a bit more aggressive on stainless. Local car parts place should have it. Use to use it on my motorcycles. I used it on my Glossy Vaqueros and my 1858 Remington black powder to really put some depth in the finish.
View Quote

Thanks for the tip.  I almost bought the "Billet Polish" the first time around.  I have a big polisher here at work in the maintenance shop, they have some blocks of polish that work really well on stainless.  I may go that route but I am a little worried about that wheel grabbing the gun and flinging it across the room!  I may chicken out and just do the rest by hand.  

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 4:49:59 PM EDT
[#5]
WOW.  You CAN see a difference.  Nice.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:23:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks good.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:51:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Here are more pics taken with a better camera...maybe too much better...shows the finish (and where it needs more work) in much greater detail.

Now I know I will have to keep working on it.    Damn camera!  Most of those fine little brush marks were not even visible to me...until now!

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:41:07 AM EDT
[#8]

OK...these will be the last pics I inflict upon you all.  I took it a little farther using the big polishing wheel at work first and then working on it some more at home with the drill and polishing wheels and some by hand.

I am pretty happy with the finish now.  Not enough O's in Smoooooothe!

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:31:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks real good . I would stop now and think how much more to do . It looks real nice.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:45:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Looks real good . I would stop now and think how much more to do . It looks real nice.
View Quote

Yep...I'm done now.  I like it.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:20:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Damn, that came out real nice.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:32:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks great! I've seen several polished up like that on the Ruger forum and they look amazing.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:00:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Very, very nice!
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:56:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice work.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:16:12 AM EDT
[#15]
And here I am wanting to Bead blast mine to dull the factory finish
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:38:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Unreal!  Beautiful work.  It shows you put a lot of effort into it, brother.  I have a S&W Model 686 Plus you could do for me also!  Ha!
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:26:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote

If I ever go back from the high shine look...bead blasted will be next.  The pics I have seen look really nice, maybe a combination of the two...I saw a pic of one with a bead blasted frame and barrel and a highly polished cylinder...looked great!

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:33:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Unreal!  Beautiful work.  It shows you put a lot of effort into it, brother.  I have a S&W Model 686 Plus you could do for me also!  Ha!
View Quote

Too bad you are not just a bit closer to Az, I would at least give you the rest of the polish and wheels I have.  I'd be too afraid to do this to someone else's gun...

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:29:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If I ever go back from the high shine look...bead blasted will be next.  The pics I have seen look really nice, maybe a combination of the two...I saw a pic of one with a bead blasted frame and barrel and a highly polished cylinder...looked great!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beautiful work. I hand polished my 681 slowly, using Mother's Mag polish years ago to get the frame and cylinder to match the holster wear on the fronts of the revolver. I got close enough to pass a quick visual inspection, and I can tell from the pictures, yours would pass a more thorough look over.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:42:57 AM EDT
[#20]
I guess I have another project that I want to start.  Polishing my S&W Model 686 Plus should be a nice easy challenge  and the results could be spectacular.  I'm looking for it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:15:17 PM EDT
[#21]
I have zero interest in taking the time to do what you did......but you did a great job!
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:25:18 PM EDT
[#22]
beautiful.  might need to polish my gp
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:40:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Nice.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:26:54 PM EDT
[#24]
I saw a 6" GP100 on a FB gun forum that had been polished like the bottom of Your trigger guard, or almost like the shiny Vaquero's Man it looked sharp! I thought to Myself if I buy another GP100 one day I'm gonna have that done. Your looks great!! I would think about doing it to My S&W 686 but it is a first edition no dash. So I'm going to leave it alone.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:24:12 PM EDT
[#25]
I might have to do that to mine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top