Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/5/2015 2:56:30 PM EDT
Never owned a revolver, but I've been considering trying one out someday. Only revolvers I know of is the Colt Python and the S&W 500. Everything else is just a bunch of letters and meaningless numbers. I don't even know what the most popular caliber is for a revolver.

Is there something out there that's become the gold standard or most recognized revolver? Is it the Colt Python and if so, why is that revolver so lusted after?
I don't mind saving up for high quality firearms, but I do find the price variation for those on Gunbroker hysterical going from $3000-5 figures!
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 3:11:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think you can nail down one definitive revolver.  There are too many very different uses for a revolver.  Pocket carry, self defense/duty holster carry, medium game hunting, big game/dangerous game hunting/defense, cowboy action, practical pistol. target, etc.

That said I would guess the most popular/plentiful Revolver cartridge is the 38 Special, with 357 Magnum in second place.  45 Colt and 44 Magnum/44 Special would not be far behind those two.

If you have a specific use in mind will get a lot more useful suggestions.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 3:13:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Although a fine revolver, a large part of why Colt Pythons command such a premium is that they are no longer made.

Caliber is dependent on primary usage, target shooting, personal defense, woods gun, or hunting.

The S&W .460 or .500 is  a gun more suited either for hunting, protection in the woods or as a gun safe queen.

As far as a gold standard for as most recognized, I'd say Colt SAA (single action army) would be it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 3:21:34 PM EDT
[#3]
OP, WHAT do you want A new revolver to do? Hunt? Self defense? Range use? Competition?

Decide on those and you'll get the answers you need.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 3:27:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Not going to be for self defense or hunting.

I'd like it for range use and possibly competition one day if I get proficient enough.
Actually bumped into Jerry Miculek recently and kicked myself afterwards for not asking him lol.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 3:57:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Python is a collectors gun . Yeah they are nice but I am a S&W guy . The S&W has a different trigger so I don't much like shooting the Colts.
Yeah I know they are fine guns but I would rather have 4 S&W guns to play with than one Python where one nick or scratch could mean $600

I would suggest a S&W 686 (stainless) or the older same gun in blued (586) . This is a heavy frame 357 that will shoot 38sp target loads like a pussycat and even hot full power 357 loads are easy. Due to the various power levels of ammo and many available barrel lengths and aftermarket grips available this is a very flexable gun that can fit most any hand size . Factory sights are great , factory trigger is  very good right out of the box and with a $15 spring kit will be wonderfull .

Fair number of used 686's around and even if you decide down the road you don't like it they hold resale value very.

Jerry M shoots everything like a machine (a very fast one ) He has done lots of work with the S&W 625 in 45acp and I believe that is still his main revolver. Many years ago after watching him do a demo I asked him what he ran for trigger springs and he replied that he had S&W put in stiffer springs so he could get faster reset times .

Nothing wrong with the 625 either
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 3:59:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Smith and Wesson Model 19.

The combat magnum.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 5:01:41 PM EDT
[#7]
The K frames S&W in 38/357 are probably it, not for any one reason, but because they've been around in one form or another since 1899 and endure to this day with millions out there. They are THE workhorse revolver of the past 100 plus years and endure to this day.

As I'm heavily biased towards S&W I consider the Registered Magnum, model 357 Magnum, and model 27 to be the best of the best..."snake charmers" be damned...

Most practical.

Most awesome.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 5:53:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Rick_A... cut the barrel back to a 3" M65 and you're talking
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 6:03:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the suggestions so far buds!

Quick question... are Plus versions the same revolver with 1 extra round capacity in the chamber? Any negatives with those or are they worth considering?
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 6:31:40 PM EDT
[#10]
If you want a really nice revolver that is fun to shoot when loaded with "Cowboy" loads but can kill big mean things when loaded with "Bear" loads think about a Ruger Vaquero   (pre 2004 and New Vaquero)
It is single action so not ideal for self defense  but it is frequently  used in Cowboy Action Shooting competition.

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 6:59:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's my idea of a definitive revolver.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 7:03:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Quick question... are Plus versions the same revolver with 1 extra round capacity in the chamber? Any negatives with those or are they worth considering?
View Quote

Yes it is. No negatives unless you compete in a class that allows only six.

To most the 686 represents the most practical and best 357 bullet launcher available.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 7:04:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Rick_A... cut the barrel back to a 3" M65 and you're talking
View Quote

Perhaps!
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 7:08:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

To most the 686 represents the most practical and best 357 bullet launcher available.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 686 is hard to beat for best all around IMO

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 7:42:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Ruger gp100 competition model. Not a fan of the regular gp100 but the completion trigger feels like the sought after speed six.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 7:57:15 PM EDT
[#16]
If you want to get into revolvers without adding another caliber to stock both Ruger and S&W make (or made) revolvers in the common auto pistol calibers. I believe currently only 9mm revolvers are in production by S&W and Ruger, but in the past S&W has offered various models in 10mm/.40sw and .45acp.

Since you mentioned competition the 9mm revolvers are definitely worth checking out, very popular with the competition crowd due to moon clips making for very fast reloads. The new S&W 986 and 929 models are really nice.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 8:00:46 PM EDT
[#17]
S&W Mod 10 M&P .38 SP.  over 5,000,000 mad since 1989

M&P
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 12:50:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you want to get into revolvers without adding another caliber to stock both Ruger and S&W make (or made) revolvers in the common auto pistol calibers. I believe currently only 9mm revolvers are in production by S&W and Ruger, but in the past S&W has offered various models in 10mm/.40sw and .45acp.

Since you mentioned competition the 9mm revolvers are definitely worth checking out, very popular with the competition crowd due to moon clips making for very fast reloads. The new S&W 986 and 929 models are really nice.
View Quote

How does a 929 compare to the 686 Plus in terms of quality and trigger pull? I know I asked for a definitive Revolver and the 686 seems to be it from these recommendations... but I'll probably end up getting more than 1 revolver since I'm impulsive like that. This damn gun collecting disease.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 1:16:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Such a thing as a definitive revolver?
View Quote

I love revolvers. I learnt pistol craft with a clubowned Colt Officer Model Match after the military and enjoy shooting revolvers. I own well over a dozen S&W revolvers, half a dozen Rugers, eleven Korths and two Colts.

I could not pick the definitively best for all purposes but have a law-enforcement trade-in M65 that is a great all around gun.

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 1:45:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

How does a 929 compare to the 686 Plus in terms of quality and trigger pull? I know I asked for a definitive Revolver and the 686 seems to be it from these recommendations... but I'll probably end up getting more than 1 revolver since I'm impulsive like that. This damn gun collecting disease.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would look for a 686-4+, if you can find one. Prelock, 7 shot, the last of the 686's with forged parts and hammer mounted firing pin before the move to MIM parts with frame mounted firing pin in the 686-5. Many consider them to be the pinnacle of the 686 line. Only made for a year or two ('96-'97).
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 6:52:21 AM EDT
[#21]
If I could only have one revolver it would be a 4" S & W 686-4

Dave N
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 6:56:50 AM EDT
[#22]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/8/83/S%26W686Hardwood..jpg/400px-S%26W686Hardwood..jpg

I was going to say this or the 66.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:18:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trigger should be nicer on the 929 considering it is a performance center model. There is also an over travel stop on the trigger.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 10:38:57 AM EDT
[#24]
4" 686 or 586 would last a lifetime and be a great example of a service revolver.

If you like cowboys, a 5" Ruger Super Blackhawk in 45 Colt/45 ACP or 357/9mm would be an awesome choice as well.

6" guns can be tack drivers and fun to shoot but a pain to carry.

Anything under 3" can be challenging to shoot accurately.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 10:57:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Trigger should be nicer on the 929 considering it is a performance center model. There is also an over travel stop on the trigger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately in practice the revolver coming out of the Performance Center are no longer any better than standard S&W revolvers.  QC at S&W is floundering lately.  The 929 has been somewhat troubled by extraction and cylinder binding problems primarily due to poor machining on the titanium cylinder along with other quality issues like barrels not clocked to the frame correctly.  It seems pretty hit or miss.  Some PC gun are great others are real stinkers.  Common advice of late seems to be to make sure you can inspect any S&W PC gun before you put money on the table.  Most are fine but you want the ability to inspect first.

If competition is a thought check over in the Revolver section of Brian Enos forum (a practical pistol competition focused forum).  A lot of very knowledgeable revolver shooters and revolver smiths there.  Personally if you are going to go 8-shot I would take a good look at a 627/327/R8.  It would be a more flexible gun.  357 Mag for hunting and when pushing the energy and bullet weights to the max.  Have the option to shoot 38 Specials for economical plinking/practice.  If you get serious about USPSA Revolver competition you load up hot and heavy 38 Short Colt on moonclips and you have the dominate choice of USPSA Revolver shooters.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:15:16 AM EDT
[#26]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/8/83/S%26W686Hardwood..jpg/400px-S%26W686Hardwood..jpg

Agreed, but the 586 is more sexy
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:49:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course.

My current favorite in the line up is the 625PC (save for the grips).

...but I like the one I've got better:

20140914_094019 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

Can't go wrong with any of 'em.

While I've heard plenty of internet horror stories of QC issues the worst I've seen in person is a hung up trigger on a 442 or 642 (don't remember which).
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 9:10:53 PM EDT
[#28]
S&W M&P .38 Special or THE .357 Magnum. Since original .357s are somewhat scarce and often very expensive now, an older Model 27 might be a suitable substitute.

Also the Colt SAA.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 9:37:01 PM EDT
[#29]
the definitive revolver is the S&W model 10 it's a 38 spc.

the definitive caliber is 357 magnum

IMO the model 66 with a 4" barrel is perhaps the best gun out there but many will whine about the full house 125 grain 357 magnum causing problems
for target the model 27 6" is the best.  
for bang for the buck a 4" 686 will work but I hate full lugs
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#30]

A friend of mine has two Freedom Arms, one in 500JRH and one in 454 Casull. They are some fine weapons. I would take one of those over any Smith any day.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 10:57:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

{snip}

View Quote

If this is true the the S&W Model 13 is THE Definitive Revolver.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 10:58:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Smith N Frame.

Model 25 or 29 variant!
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 2:05:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Unfortunately in practice the revolver coming out of the Performance Center are no longer any better than standard S&W revolvers.  QC at S&W is floundering lately.  The 929 has been somewhat troubled by extraction and cylinder binding problems primarily due to poor machining on the titanium cylinder along with other quality issues like barrels not clocked to the frame correctly.  It seems pretty hit or miss.  Some PC gun are great others are real stinkers.  Common advice of late seems to be to make sure you can inspect any S&W PC gun before you put money on the table.  Most are fine but you want the ability to inspect first.

If competition is a thought check over in the Revolver section of Brian Enos forum (a practical pistol competition focused forum).  A lot of very knowledgeable revolver shooters and revolver smiths there.  Personally if you are going to go 8-shot I would take a good look at a 627/327/R8.  It would be a more flexible gun.  357 Mag for hunting and when pushing the energy and bullet weights to the max.  Have the option to shoot 38 Specials for economical plinking/practice.  If you get serious about USPSA Revolver competition you load up hot and heavy 38 Short Colt on moonclips and you have the dominate choice of USPSA Revolver shooters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's supremely disappointing to hear. I actually did manage to get ahold of Jerry on another forum and he recommended the 929 since most my handguns are 9mm and I have the ammo. I'll do more research on the 929 issues or just wait it out. But I'll also look into ammo costs for feeding the 686+
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 2:38:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That's supremely disappointing to hear. I actually did manage to get ahold of Jerry on another forum and he recommended the 929 since most my handguns are 9mm and I have the ammo. I'll do more research on the 929 issues or just wait it out. But I'll also look into ammo costs for feeding the 686+
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A 9mm revolver is going to be cheaper to feed than 357 or even 38 SPL.

On the other hand, of course he's going to recommend the 929, it's his signature model!

I think a prelock 686+ will likely hold it's value better. Of course if you don't require the .357 oomph for any purpose, you will likely offset that in ammo costs. I don't think you can go wrong either way.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 9:17:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I assume you do not reload?  If you are really dedicated to and stocked-up on 9mm then the 929 would be a great choice I just know there have been some issues and growing pains with the new revolver.  That said there are also guys running them with great success.  If you can find one to inspect and understand how to inspect a S&W (YouTube can help) then I would not hesitate to by one after it passed the inspection.  Despite the QC issues S&W customer service is still pretty good and they will eventually make it right if you do have an issue.  The option to run with and without a muzzle brake and the longer 6.5-inch barrel is awesome IMHO.  I started competition with a 6.5-inch 610.  Later switched to a 5-inch 625 and finally to a 5-inch 627.  I miss the longer barrel in competition, I have considered replacing my 627 with a 929 just for the barrel length in competition but I am presently setup to reloading Short Colt and do not own any other 9mm handguns other than the 9mm conversion cylinder for my Ruger Blackhawk.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 9:49:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

{snip}

you are correct my oversight
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 11:28:19 PM EDT
[#37]
There are two, truly definitve revolvers. The Colt model P, aka Single Action Army and the Smith & Wesson Military and Police, aka Model 10.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 11:45:41 PM EDT
[#38]
A solid case could be make for a number of gun - Colt SAA, S&W 10/13/19/66/686/27/29. My vote is the S&W 27
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:27:09 AM EDT
[#39]
The 'definitive' revolver?

Smith K-frame.  No question.  

I personally prefer the 19 flavor, but they all work.  A near ideal blend of size, weight, controllability and power.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 5:18:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Definitive could be best explained as personal preferences. As you noted, you know of a Python and a S&W 500. Pythons aren't all that much to me and as others stated, they command a high price as due to the fact that they are no longer produced. On modern revolvers, I prefer Smith and Wesson's but the 500 is one I'll probably never own. Of the X frames, I'd prefer a 460. Modern Rugers are not my flavor either in both ergonomics or styling. Visually they look like a collection of pipe fittings. Then on the other hand, I don't care for the rubber boots that Smith uses for grips and I usually switch them out and take advantage of the round butt aspects of them. On western six shooter types, I do like the new Vaqueros much more over the original as the new models are much more streamlined and closer to the SAA in all respects though better as you can carry with all six loaded, safely. The new 45 colt version does fall shorter then the original in power loads but thats another discussion. Then of course no-one has brought up Dan Wessons or Korths yet.

See what I mean?

By way of maker/styling, the best thing to do is go and handle a variety and see which one feels "right" to you. You'll be half way there as comfort is part of it. Even better if you have an opportunity to fire it. A .44 mag snub nose may feel nice to hold but....

As for caliber, your 9mm and 38 specials are fairly similar if you like the recoil of the round. 357's are noticeably more stout but 357 revolvers can use 38 specials. That's why you'll see them listed as 357/38 special. Same as ones like 22LR. They use 22LR, 22L and 22 shorts. 44 mags are 44 mag/44 special and so on.

There are also others like Rugers convertibles where you get two cylinders for even more variation.

As also mentioned, for costs, most pistol rounds are very easy to do by way of reloading. You can also customize to your personal preferences from powder puffs to full on power loads.

As for buying more then one, I normally do. I like to go up and down the scale with the same types of firearms. I like to warm up/practice usually with a 22 version before moving up into the center fires.

Obligatory image I suppose. God, I've got to take some new images, at least of some of the blued models:

As I said, I do normally switch out grips. I kept the ones on the 642 as I find them comfortable as is. Also, as for going up and down on caliber's, the left row top down is 44, 357/38/22LR. The right is a pair of 357/38 (yes, I do use both as I'm fairly ambidextrous) the a 22LR. Center as stated is a 38 special 642.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 6:14:27 AM EDT
[#41]
I too favor the 686, I have the 6 inch, but if buying again I'd go with the 4 inch
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 8:03:14 AM EDT
[#42]
These were my favorites:
The S&W Model 27 and 28. One is beautiful (S&W made registered models), one is the definitive state troopers gun.
The Colt Python 6" Blue carried by the bad cop in one of the Dirty Harry movies.
The Colt Detective Special.
The S&W Model 13-2 with a round butt and in nickel as carried by the FBI.
The S&W target models - K22 and K38 and their 5-screw predecessors.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 8:47:16 AM EDT
[#43]
As with most of the questions about what is the absolute best "       ". It all boils down to preference.

For me, a good .357 magnum is really hard to beat.

This is my choice of the definitive revolver.

4" SS Ruger GP100 milled for use with moonclips, a good set of grips and a nice trigger.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 3:33:56 AM EDT
[#44]
I asked around the AR15.com forum years ago what would be a good revolver to get and most suggested the S&W Model 686.  I ended up with a S&W 686 Plus 4" barrel.  It is my favorite handgun to shoot.  It can get expensive shooting .357 magnum ammo but when I want to have fun at the range this is my go to gun.  BTW, I'm very accurate with this pistol and that really make me enjoy this revolver even more.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 12:13:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Definitive revolver?   Easy, the first one.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 2:45:12 PM EDT
[#46]
This is mine.  Have been shooting for over 30 yrs.  Had a Sp101 357 years ago and traded for a semi.  Decided I wanted a 357 again last year.  I just wanted something for the range.  Got a 686-3 with 8 3/8 barrel.  Its a tack driver.

This was half 38 sp and half 357.  Target was set up at 25 yard mark.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 3:28:01 PM EDT
[#47]
The Smith guys are going to crucify me, but I actually like shooting the Rugers better.  For some reason, I shoot the GP100 and Redhawk better than I did my Model 10, Model 19, or my 686.  I couldn't tell you why but the Rugers have always felt better to me.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 3:31:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have heard some mixed reviews about QC and accuracy concerns on the 929.  

Buddies gun came with no barrel crown and the titanium flaking off the cylinder.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:15:04 AM EDT
[#49]
I'm going with no such thing.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:33:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'm going with no such thing.
View Quote

Oh, I think there could be a definitive revolver if you're willing to be more specific in its application.

The definitive police duty revolver was the Colt Police Positive Special in 38 Special

The definitive hunting revolver is a S&W 29/629 in 44 Magnum.

The definitively USPSA Revolver was the S&W 625 in 45 ACP but it is now arguably the S&W 627 in 357 Mag shooting 38 Short Colt.

The definitive pocket revolver would be the S&W 642 in 38 Special +P.

The definitive Cowboy revolver Colt New Army in 45 Colt

Etc...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top