Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2015 5:09:34 PM EDT
Hey guys I want to buy a gp100. There are so many variations. The gun will mostly be a range gun. Maybe a camp gun. But I will never carry it. I'm leaning towards a match champion or the Wiley clap.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 5:33:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey guys I want to buy a gp100. There are so many variations. The gun will mostly be a range gun. Maybe a camp gun. But I will never carry it. I'm leaning towards a match champion or the Wiley clap.
View Quote

I have 2 WC GP100's. Excellent guns. The MC is very nice too but I don't care for the front sight or grips.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 6:50:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Range/Camp gun?

Try looking for the 5" barrel model. If not, then I like the 3" (std. or WC).
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 6:57:28 PM EDT
[#3]
for .357 magnums, I prefer adjustable sights.

Look for a used 686 also

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 11:23:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I recently picked up a 6" GP 100 I was deciding between a 4.2" and 6"

My uses were similar.

1. Range use (I knew I would not be everyday carrying either model)
2. Possible woods carry
3. I reload so I wanted a 357 to try out some recipes for.
4. I wanted my first revolver to be a tank.

Why I liked the 4.2 better:

1. I thought it looked better (in pictures)
2. I felt it would "Point" better at the range with a shorter barrel - also faster switching between targets

Why I liked the 6" better:

1. It had a longer sight radius
2. Longer barrel meant higher velocities with the same ammo (in 357, velocity is king)
3. In WI I could hunt with a gun with a barrel longer than 5.5" (not my original intent but now that I can, I may)

I went with a 6" because the pros for my uses outweighed the con's. There's also something about the 6" 357 that just feels right... In person, the 6 didn't look as bad to me as I originally thought from the pictures online  As far as pointing and balance of the two guns once I got to hold them, there wasn't much difference to me in that regard either. The 6" is 5oz heavier than the 4.2 while that's on the "wrong" end of the gun, neither the 4 or 6 are lightweights in any regard, and weight on the end will help with those stout 357 loads I plan to shoot... The velocity increase was also a pretty big plus for me too.

I do have a holster for it, and think that it would be fine walking around a camp. Its a bit hard with a 6" barrel to sit in a car, a truck or more upright vehicle might not be bad... Either way, if you're thinking youre getting a 4.2 GP (or even a 3") for EDC, you're fooling yourself. My vote would still be a 6, especially if your going to be going to the range with it 75% of the time or more.

I'll echo what was said from the poster above me, if you plan to shoot a variety, get adjustable sights... I still wonder why the "Match Champion" is the model with the fixed sights...
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 8:51:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I got a standard 4.2" fit all my needs, and I think adj. sights are important.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 9:36:49 AM EDT
[#6]
From what people are saying I would give serious consideration to the MC. Too bad the rear sight is of a fixed variety.

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 11:20:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From what people are saying I would give serious consideration to the MC. Too bad the rear sight is of a fixed variety.
View Quote

They make a MC with a rear adj sight this year:

I'd look for a stainless steel full lug in either 4 or 6 inch though.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 7:20:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Standard 4.2" as the all-rounder.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:41:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the input boys I'm looking to buy this weekend
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:01:15 AM EDT
[#10]
My vote is for a WC GP100, I have one and love it. Carry it a lot OWB concealed or open.  I wen to the GP100 from a S&W 65 because I just cannot see the K Frame sights anymore.
If a nice  3" S&W model 65 pops up, also nice.  For me the 3" revolver is about for perfect for me to carry.  If I am carrying a J frame, it is a snub barrel and rides in my pocket.  For reloads I carry a speedloader and a couple of speed strips.
Other times I carry a 1911, G19, Shield, or LCP....depends on where I am going, threat, dress, mood (as in what I have been shooting lately)....
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:31:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a 6in and SS WC.

For a range toy the 6in is plenty fun and always draws a few looks of covetous jealousy from the hordes of tupperware shooters

All kidding aside, the adjustable sights allow for dialing in any load at any range to the desired POA/POI.  Feel like going with something different?  Take a few moments to adjust the sights and start slinging lead again.  The extended sight radius is nice, you don't appreciate it until moving to something with a shorter sight radius.  The 6in points and balances well for me and soaks up full bore .357 loads with little problem.  I put a set of Hogue's on mine, purely a person preference, and it really improved the ergonomics over the stock grips.

The SS WC came with a very nice trigger right out of the box and staged very well for me in DA.  The recoil impulse is a little different, but nothing a good grip and stance won't soak up.  The grips themselves do a remarkable job of mitigating the perceived recoil for me.  It is the only handgun I own that has the big assed green dot on the front sight...and I kind of like it.  It's damn near impossible to miss the front sight with that big lime-green thing sitting up there.  Very accurate as well.  I could definitely see the advantages of carrying this over the 6in.

No plans to depart with either of these.  For a pure range toy the 6in probably wins for me.

YMMV, but I don't see anyone being dissapointed by either.

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:41:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can't go wrong with this. If it is a range gun and HD gun just get a used 4.2" stainless GP100.

You can easily give it a better trigger yourself and install better sights.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 6:25:40 AM EDT
[#13]
The MC with adjustable rear sight is a sweet piece.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:00:51 PM EDT
[#14]

I just ordered a GP100 model 1705...4.2" barrel, SS, .357...

It shipped today...can't wait!  

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:07:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Congrats, You'll love it.

Post purchase advice: I prefer the safariland Speedloaders to the HKS ones,
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 11:00:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Congrats, You'll love it.

Post purchase advice: I prefer the safariland Speedloaders to the HKS ones,
View Quote

Cool, thanks for the tip.

Link Posted: 6/7/2015 7:52:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Did you ever get a .357?

Txl
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 9:00:25 AM EDT
[#18]
This for just a all around range gun and companion.
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 9:57:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I just ordered a GP100 model 1705...4.2" barrel, SS, .357...

It shipped today...can't wait!  

View Quote

That's peculiar - I just ordered a 5" SS model.  Must be something in the AZ air.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 11:45:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I've owned or shot the 4.2, 5 and 6" barrels. I still have the 5". I love it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 5:41:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Hey OP,  it's been 3 months, let us know if you bought one!

I love the GP100's, I've owned a 4.2", a 3" standard model and a 3" Wiley Clapp.  I'm a huge fan of the 3" models, especially the Wiley Clapp versions.  Since I no longer have the 4.2", I need a replacement.  The 6" is way too long for my tastes and while I like the 4.2", I think my next GP100 will definitely be the 5" model.  They aren't a Ruger catalog model so you have to go through one of the several dealers (Talo IIRC) to get one.  Of course my empty bank account is a bigger hurdle lol.  

I'm not a big fan of the Match Champion simply because I don't like the partial underlug or the grips but there's no doubt it's a great shooting gun.  Ruger is coming out with a GP100 with an unfluted cylinder and I love unfluted cylinders so I'll probably hold out for a 5" unfluted cylinder model.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:18:05 PM EDT
[#22]
This thread inspired me to pull the trigger on this one.  I picked it up from the FFL yesterday off of EE.

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:39:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hey OP,  it's been 3 months, let us know if you bought one!

I love the GP100's, I've owned a 4.2", a 3" standard model and a 3" Wiley Clapp. I'm a huge fan of the 3" models, especially the Wiley Clapp versions.  Since I no longer have the 4.2", I need a replacement.  The 6" is way too long for my tastes and while I like the 4.2", I think my next GP100 will definitely be the 5" model.  They aren't a Ruger catalog model so you have to go through one of the several dealers (Talo IIRC) to get one.  Of course my empty bank account is a bigger hurdle lol.  

I'm not a big fan of the Match Champion simply because I don't like the partial underlug or the grips but there's no doubt it's a great shooting gun.  Ruger is coming out with a GP100 with an unfluted cylinder and I love unfluted cylinders so I'll probably hold out for a 5" unfluted cylinder model.
View Quote

+1.  I have always had the 4" guns but picked up a 3" GP100 last year. It has become one of my favorite revolvers.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:10:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This thread inspired me to pull the trigger on this one.  I picked it up from the FFL yesterday off of EE.

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t656/AlamTX/Handguns/IMG_1903_zpsvgf18clm.jpg

View Quote

AlamTX - what speed loader carrier is that in your pic?

regards
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:36:48 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

regards
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t656/AlamTX/Handguns/IMG_1903_zpsvgf18clm.jpg

regards

Those are Safariland Speedloader Comp IIs, Bianchi speed strips and a Safariland speedloader holder model 333 off to the side.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 9:45:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's a great pic! I love my 4.2' GP100 SS. The 38/357 round is my favorite to reload and the GP100 can really take some heat!
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 5:52:55 PM EDT
[#27]
I have six GP100's.

If you are not going to carry it and use it at camp, then I would go with the 6" GP100 in order to maximize the .357 round. If you do not like the feel of it, just go with a 4" barrel version.

The Match Champions are nice, but if you are not using it for competition, the Regular 4" barrel will fit the bill perfectly.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:45:30 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
That's a great pic! I love my 4.2' GP100 SS. The 38/357 round is my favorite to reload and the GP100 can really take some heat!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you.  I gotta give photography credits to my beautiful girlfriend.

Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:33:11 AM EDT
[#29]
I have the 4" stainless GP100. After a bit of work, it has a very nice trigger and is very accurate. The balance with the 4" lugged barrel is pretty good, but if the Match Champion with adjustable sights had been available, I probably would have gone with it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 12:19:38 PM EDT
[#30]
My one and only revolver.

4" SS GP100.

Mods.
1) Trigger job with good springs.
2) F/O front sight.
3) Old style Ruger grips with aftermarket panels.
4) Cylinder milled for use with moon clips. (Moon clip use is optional, you can still use speed loaders or single load.)

I see no reason to own another .357 revolver.

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#31]
My sole cartridge revolver is a GP match champion. I really like it. The trigger is absurdly nice, the finish is superb. I think you get quite a lot of bang for your buck over the standard GP.

On the other hand the only reason why I got it over the WC model is because I like the front sight, grips and barrel length more.

But I might be the wrong person to ask. I am rather new to modern double action revolvers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top