Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2015 10:39:44 PM EDT
A friend of mine gave me an absolutely killer deal on a pre lock smith today. He's an older gentleman and he's cutting back on some things. I was there because he was giving me one of his safes that he had emptied. So we load the safe up and he asks if I'm still shopping around for a .357. I tell him yeah and that I had been looking at some new Ruger GP100s. He laughs and tell me they are good guns but I have a lot to learn.

He pulls this Smith out and says $500 and I'll throw in a little ammo. I told him that the gun alone was worth much more than that (he knew that obviously), but he refused to take a dime more. His idea of a little ammo was around 1000 rounds of .357! He's an amazing guy and he's helped me out countless times and taught me a ton but this takes the cake.

I am certainly no expert on these so any and all info is greatly appreciated too. I'm still heading home but I had to get some pics and post em up. Better pics coming soon.

" />
" />
" />
" />
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 11:19:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, looks like he began your lesson learning in the right way, IMO. Once one begins on a S&W, one will never be happy with a Ruger or a Taurus again.

Do yourself a favor & get some .38spl wadcutters to shoot. They will fell like shooting a .22 in this gun. I order my wadcutters from GA Arms. Good ammo & good folks to buy from.

I'd put some better grips on it too.

Link Posted: 2/14/2015 11:21:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Ya I was thinking about some grips like that; I like those a lot.  Who makes good ones and where can I find them at a reasonable price?
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 12:00:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Welcome to another expensive hobby. That's a beauty.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 2:52:47 AM EDT
[#4]
That's a keeper. The first thing I do is take those oversize grips off my Smiths. I like the S&W magna style even on my 44.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 5:19:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow!  What a nice gun at a nice price!  First thing I would put on it is a set of Nill or Ahrends grips.  I just love to put new grips on my handguns whenever possible.  Enjoy!
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 9:54:06 AM EDT
[#6]
i love the factory profile - w/ factory target grips. I wouldn't touch the grips. IF you do - remember to save them.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 10:31:55 AM EDT
[#7]
IIRC, most, if not all, M28s have the square butt frames which will limit your grip choices.  Great handgun, my favorite!
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 10:48:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ya I was thinking about some grips like that; I like those a lot.  Who makes good ones and where can I find them at a reasonable price?
View Quote

Hogue makes some, as others do. Just google up "S&W grips" & go from there, IMO. Rosewood finger groove grips will run you around $65 a set for decent ones. Be sure to get the square butt version. They're easy to find, unlike what other posters think.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 12:11:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Great deal and a beautiful gun! Congrats
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 12:48:50 PM EDT
[#10]
wow

you STOLE that

VERY NICE

those grips are valuable

you should post that on the http://smith-wessonforum.com/forum.php

PINNED & RECESSED

open the cylinder and look at the model and dash number...

example. here's my 19-4

Link Posted: 2/15/2015 1:35:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That's a keeper. The first thing I do is take those oversize grips off my Smiths. I like the S&W magna style even on my 44.
View Quote

I'm with Stout on this...I like Magnas. Ahrends are nice also. Hate S&W targets, although I'm in the minority.

Looks like a real nice 28-2 at a great price. Enjoy it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 1:57:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I LOVE those S&W factory grips.

My model 19-4

586-2

new AHREND'S on my custom 5" 686-4
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 6:17:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, that was a good day

beautifuldayu2
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 7:24:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Shot it today and put around 200 rounds through it. All I can say is WOW! I love this thing and the trigger is amazing. I thought the trigger on my TRP was good and this thing put it to shame.

This is the first revolver I've owned but I see more in my future!

" />
" />
" />
" />
" />
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 8:05:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Sounds like a stand up guy.

Those grips are fine, too unless you have girly hands or are using it as a CCW.

Practice shooting double action, too. If I want to shoot single I've got autos for that.

I love the big bore and magnum N frames.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 10:27:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Oh hell yeah!
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 9:45:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice pick up.  You got yourself a keeper.

Get a set of Ahrends when you get a chance.  they are nice.

For me, an N frame 5" gun balances perfectly.

Now you will be hunting for J, K, L, and more N frame Smiths,  hopefully you will learn enough to pick up pre-locks by then.

For some reason, the Smiths Snubbies are addicting.  Just watch out.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 9:48:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I ordered some VZ grips for it just now. Its not that I don't like the factory grips, but they are already a little beat up so I just want to set them aside and keep them as nice as I can. I'm kind of hard on stuff and want them to stay nice so years from now when I'm an old man I can pass it down with everything original and in good shape.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:02:27 AM EDT
[#19]
VZ?

At least put some decent wood grips on it, man!
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:09:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
VZ?

At least put some decent wood grips on it, man!
View Quote

I knew that was coming.

Idk I like VZ grips and they aren't gonna be on there all the time. They are gonna be my beater grips.

If I'm open carrying to a formal event you bet your ass those original grips are gonna be on there! I've been trying to talk my fiancee into letting me and my groomsman open carry at or wedding in September.  So far she says no.

She's not anti gun by any means she just thinks it's dumb. I think it would be bad ass!
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:18:51 AM EDT
[#21]
You'd better take that guy out every once in a while and buy him all the beer, wings, and burgers he can consume for the next 87 years.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:23:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You'd better take that guy out every once in a while and buy him all the beer, wings, and burgers he can consume for the next 87 years.
View Quote

He lives a couple hours away but I do whatever I can for him whenever I can.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:49:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No doubt, I don't see him cutting that package loose for that price if he thought you were an asshole.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:58:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Post some pics when you get the VZs. I'm considering some Magnas but not set on them. Helluva deal you got.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 1:03:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

No doubt, I don't see him cutting that package loose for that price if he thought you were an asshole.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have my moments.......
I'm his designated heavy lifter. He'll call me up when he has something to move and I haul my ass up there for him and move his stuff. My fiancee and I are moving to Tucson in March and he wants to move down there so the deal was I'd help him with all his stuff so he doesn't have to hire anyone. I'll move some furniture for a Smith ANY DAMN DAY!
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 1:04:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Post some pics when you get the VZs. I'm considering some Magnas but not set on them. Helluva deal you got.
View Quote

Will do. I'm waiting on a confirmation email so I have no clue when they'll be here but I'll post em here or IM to ya when I get them.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 3:41:45 AM EDT
[#27]
nice Smith
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 6:43:25 AM EDT
[#28]
WOW, nice gun. I'll echo Rick on the double-action shooting.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 7:01:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
WOW, nice gun. I'll echo Rick on the double-action shooting.
View Quote

I'll triple it.  There's just something very satisfying about it.  Plus it's what you would do if you had to use it in a situation.  Or even some hunting situations might warrant DA.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 11:01:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Okay this is the second thread regarding a good deal on a 28! That's a very nice Smith you've got there.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 11:24:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Okay this is the second thread regarding a good deal on a 28! That's a very nice Smith you've got there.
View Quote

Thanks man!

I've been poking around in the do it yourself kydex thread so I ordered a couple sheets to make a holster for it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 11:32:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Nice score but 586>*

Will be getting a round butt conversion, trigger work and vw grips in a month or so.

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 9:24:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Nice score but 586>*

Will be getting a round butt conversion, trigger work and vw grips in a month or so.

http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w354/timpryor97SVT/20150128_172715_zpstqshduo7.jpg
View Quote

"Trigger work"? Geez, whadda ya want, a 1lb DA trigger?
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 10:22:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice score but 586>*

http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w354/timpryor97SVT/20150128_172715_zpstqshduo7.jpg

+1
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 6:59:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Beautiful revolver!  Congrats on a great score.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:35:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

+1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice score but 586>*

+1

Just clean it up a bit, it's going to Steve cline
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:54:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Now you know why Ruger's are JUNK!  Wait'll you get a hold of your first Colt Python!
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 8:48:18 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Now you know why Ruger's are JUNK!  Wait'll you get a hold of your first Colt Python!
View Quote
Hate the trigger on the Python - S&W has a much better trigger. For the price they are commanding now might as well keep going on up the food chain

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:42:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thats the dumbest statement I have seen posted outside of GD today. Keep thinking that while the more informed and experienced of us continue to snatch up all the Sixes, Redhawks,  and OMBH.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 2:59:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Hate the trigger on the Python - S&W has a much better trigger. For the price they are commanding now might as well keep going on up the food chain  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh. I always thought I was the only person in the world that hated Python triggers. I had a 4-inch nickeled Python back 15-20 years ago and sold it; much preferring L- and N-frame Smith triggers.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 3:06:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Well, looks like he began your lesson learning in the right way, IMO. Once one begins on a S&W, one will never be happy with a Ruger or a Taurus again.

Do yourself a favor & get some .38spl wadcutters to shoot. They will fell like shooting a .22 in this gun. I order my wadcutters from GA Arms. Good ammo & good folks to buy from.

I'd put some better grips on it too.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z114/bobsgunsUSP/grips.jpg
View Quote

I don't think the round butt grips will fit.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 3:07:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

I like the Ahrends in cocobolo. You will want the N frame square butt (NOT the round to square butt conversion grips).
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 3:56:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I like the Ahrends in cocobolo. You will want the N frame square butt (NOT the round to square butt conversion grips).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm gonna look into those. The VZs got here today and I hate em. They are way to thin and short so they are going back. I shoulda listened to you guys.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 7:09:27 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Huh. I always thought I was the only person in the world that hated Python triggers. I had a 4-inch nickeled Python back 15-20 years ago and sold it; much preferring L- and N-frame Smith triggers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've had 3 over the years. Unfortunately moved them on before the prices went crazy

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:01:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm gonna look into those. The VZs got here today and I hate em. They are way to thin and short so they are going back. I shoulda listened to you guys.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahrends are a bit thinner then the origional S&W target grips. Many prefer thinner. You may want to do more research if you want something thicker. Some are made for larger hands, like the ones designed for Bill Jordan.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 3:40:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Ahrends are a bit thinner then the origional S&W target grips. Many prefer thinner. You may want to do more research if you want something thicker. Some are made for larger hands, like the ones designed for Bill Jordan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I'm just gonna stick with the original ones now. I love how they feel so might as well not mess with a good thing. If aint broke don't fix it!
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:53:21 PM EDT
[#47]
I think they look good on there.  And if they feel good, that's the most important thing.  It's probably not a CCW gun so.... big is probably better for hanging onto it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:19:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Killer deal to say the least
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top