Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2015 1:07:48 AM EDT
I'm looking at a 6" 14-3 .38SPL serial starting with 12k62XX (IIRC). Gun is in beautiful shape, has the original factory (really pretty wood) target grips, target hammer and trigger, fired very little if any. It was apparently owned by an older lady who passed away and her daughter wanted it gone. It includes the original box in extremely clean shape that is matching and marked SA from the factory, the wrapping paper is still there and there are some tools in the box, not sure if they're original or later, no other paperwork though. Shop wants $789 (no tax in MT) and was on the fence until I came to find out it's a factory single action only, I *might* be able to negotiate a little off this but lets assume not. It seems priced pretty high but I have a serious woody for this gun. And really, the build quality of this gun is certainly worth that, I just don't want to get hosed.

ETA: Also, can anybody pull out your SCSW and give me a date, I'm guessing mid-late 70's?

Also, after a little research I think the tool kit is original.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 2:10:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm seeing 1977 manufacture. Value-- I don't know.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 2:15:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm seeing 1977 manufacture. Value-- I don't know.
View Quote

Thanks xtra, about where I was guessing.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 9:36:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Fair price if you need a Sao bullseye gun. If you plan is to convert it back to da/SA not so much
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 9:46:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Just to make sure.

It is SA only, it should have all target features, of course. Besides the box, is all documentation enclosed, warranty card? Unopened cleaning kit? Use this at your discretion for negotiations.

I have a 14-2 since March of 1985 that I had saved up all my money for. It is a gun that is very dear to me - and monetary value is secondary. The S&W Masterpiece deserves its name, however these guns with six inch barrels and in .38 Special do cater to a smaller clientele.

The cleaning kit was in a sealed plastic bag, an aluminium handled screwdriver, looped aluminium cleaning rod, copper brush, and wool brush.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:20:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice gun, a fair but not outstanding price.  The SAO Smiths occupied a very specialized and small niche in the market.  If you're a bullseye shooter and want to run 38 Special, go for it.  Otherwise rethink this idea.  Even the regular 14's have a fairly limited market appeal.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 2:46:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Model 14s that are DA/SA and with box, dox, and tools have gone for 550-700 recently. Bad news for me, as I want one but I can't do it for that kind of money.

Use that information as you wish.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 11:24:38 PM EDT
[#7]
As an owner of two Model 14's myself, I'd peg the value in the $600-700 range. Yes, the SA might make it for a niche market, but it also makes it a bit rarer than a standard 14, IMO.

My .o2
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 2:10:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Talked to the owner of the shop and was hoping to get it cheaper, but it was a consignment. Went back again a few days later and somebody snagged it.

Oh well, sounds like it went to a good home. Would have wanted to shoot it and it's probably better off being a safe queen given the condition. Thanks for the input anyways guys.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top