Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2014 9:47:34 AM EDT

Looking at this 686 in a trade. I don't know anything about revolvers other than I want one. This one is in .357 magnum.

The guy doesn't know the year of manufacture.

Can someone explain the "pre-lock" thing? I've seen that term thrown around.

Anyone have an approx value just off these pics?

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 10:03:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Pre-locks don't have the stupid hole above cylinder release like that one does. It should come with a key to lock the action up. I'm going to guess that model is a 686-6 6". Value $600-650.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 10:07:36 AM EDT
[#2]
That is not a pre-lock.....note the lock above the cylinder latch

$500
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:50:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, based on the key hole shown in the picture, it's not a pre-lock.  Unless you are set on really wanting a 6 inch revolver, I would pass it up and look around for a good "pre-lock" 686 with a 4" barrel.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 12:27:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Whatever model/year it is, it is clearly way too clean and shiny and has not been loved enough.  Offer him $450 and tell him you will actually shoot it so it does not look so unloved!

Everyone is so down on the lock models.  If you can get a good deal on it take it.  You can remove the lock if it bothers you.  I have put thousands of round through my 627 with a lock and never even notice its there.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 1:15:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess the guy who owned this 686 didn't shoot it! The lock is a big deal to the old school/collectors.
I don't find the lock to be an issue as I value guns as shooters only! If you open the cylinder you will find the - revision number of the gun.
It looks like its a 6 shot and not a 7. Anyway I'd say it worth 500 bucks.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 2:10:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I have no problem with the locks. I have some of both. In my area that gun would go fro $500-600. I think the 686 is the best revolver made.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a 3" 686.  Beautiful accurate gun.   That'd go for at least $650 in my area.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:21:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Thanks for the help everyone. The guy bailed on the trade, so no revolver for me.

I'll be looking for one now though. I think a nice wheel gun would add some class to my gun collection.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:43:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep, you need one.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:36:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I would have passed, hate the lock and hate a 6" barrel with the full underlug.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:14:04 AM EDT
[#11]
If you want a classy wheel gun the only way to go is a blued one. I detest stainless. In thirty years of carrying a blued gun even in an ankle holster walking through knee deep snow I have never had a blued gun rust. I am not fussy about caring for them either. The old school blued revolvers can be had inexpensively if you hunt around and are patient. My last one cost me 300 bucks, a two inch model 15. Has become one of my favorites. I have had a couple newer guns with the lock never a problem. I traded them off because one was stainless ( blue was not an option in the configuration I wanted and could not get past the look even though it shot great)
The other was an n frame and try as I might I just find I shoot the smaller frames better.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:18:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I am not a collector.  I have several Smiths and would not touch one with a lock. They are a symbol against freedom and the American way. They are as wrong as two boys fucking.

(686, 67, 29, 625, 2206, 4506, 4566, 422)
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:21:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

A 6" barrel with a full under-lug is mighty sexy when you are shooting offhand unsupported on a 150 yard silhouette range.  They are great for hunting too.

The lock is an abomination.  They may as well start putting 'safety' locks on pliers and screwdrivers.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:43:03 AM EDT
[#14]

I really like the look of the full length lug.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:02:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I like the full under lug.
Hate the ugly lock.

Dave N
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:47:40 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
A 6" barrel with a full under-lug is mighty sexy when you are shooting offhand unsupported on a 150 yard silhouette range.  They are great for hunting too.

The lock is an abomination.  They may as well start putting 'safety' locks on pliers and screwdrivers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I really hate the balance of the 6" or longer full underlug guns. Having own/owned multiple examples of 27's & 686's I shoot the N Frames better and should you try and shoot that 686 quickly once all that mass gets moving out front the 27 is much better. My hunting 357 is an 8-3/8 Model 27.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:08:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Six inch barrels with a full underlug are not so heavy and awkward that a normal person cannot hold them anymore! There is a reason why IDPA has limited barrel length in their stock revolver category; a longer barrel is giving an advantage- both in accuracy and recovery/speed.

My old bowling pin gun was a S&W 625 in .45 ACP with a five inch barrrel and I had used that gun in IDPA when it was still permitted.

Most people do not like the six inch barrels but imho most people are not great shots to begin with. YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:19:38 PM EDT
[#18]
S&W has a new K frame M66-8.   The K frame is just right for the 357 Magnum IMHO.    This one is beefed up in the frame area.   You can remove the lock and plug the hole if you wish.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:22:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

wise man here

unless you really want a 357 for hunting or target at 50 meters + passit up or if it is under 400 then grab itif it is what you want.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:35:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Great guns lock or no lock, if you don't like the lock don't use it. The 6" underlug bbl is a pleasure to shoot too, a great whitetail gun...............
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:24:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Everybody moans and groans about the lock but the pre locks are getting harder and harder to find . I would advise you to buy any 686 you can find at a decent price , they are excellent guns .

I teach pistol classes to folks with quite a range of experience and most all of them shoot my 686 better than any Glock , Colt , or Sig.

Great guns , great factory triggers that can be really wonderfull with $14 of springs , great sights and has lots of aftermarket choices for grips to fit a wide variety of hand sizes . Whats not to like?
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 2:08:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Six inch barrels with a full underlug are not so heavy and awkward that a normal person cannot hold them anymore! There is a reason why IDPA has limited barrel length in their stock revolver category; a longer barrel is giving an advantage- both in accuracy and recovery/speed.

"My old bowling pin gun was a S&W 625 in .45 ACP with a five inch barrrel and I had used that gun in IDPA when it was still permitted.

Most people do not like the six inch barrels but imho most people are not great shots to begin with. YMMV.

Are you a moron? A full 6" lug bbl weighs a ton. Yeah IDPA... OK..
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Next time someone tells you a 686 with a 6 in. barell and full under lug is to heavy and don't balance well or is front heavy, give that man a firm hand shake and you will know why he feels that way. Like ANY other gun, they are not for everyone. My 6 inch 686 balances as good if not better than my 4 inch SSR Pro series or even my 3 inch SP 101. Recoil recovery if that is an issue for some is pretty much not even an issue compared to shorter barrels. I have a strong wrist and for arm which tend to favor longer heavier barrels where a weaker man wouldn't. It's not the guns fault, it just aint for him. I shoot with women that dearly love the 6 inch full lug and some handle it better than I do. Maybe I'm getting older, don't know. The 686 in any form is in my mind the best revolver ever built for carry, hunting, target or just blowing corn cobbs off the stalk. The only reason I don't have one with the 8 3/8 barrel is because the 357 magnum seems to top out out of a 6 inch barrel and starts to drop off a bit when you go to that length. But man they feel awsome. The lock is a HUGE mistake in my book, simply because it's not necessary and S&W could have just done like everyone else and thrown a cheap ass cable lock in the box and left the design alone. It looks stupid but owning both, with locks and Pre locks I just leave the keys in the dam box and shoot the hell out of them. They are still a very fine revolver in my book.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 6:37:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I really like the look of the full length lug.

View Quote

on a 4" barrel I agree
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 11:00:02 PM EDT
[#25]

Well, I ended up trading for a Desert Eagle in 50ae.

I'm guessing the 6" with full underlug would be easy handling andight compared to this.

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 3:39:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Well, I ended up trading for a Desert Eagle in 50ae.

I'm guessing the 6" with full underlug would be easy handling andight compared to this.

View Quote

That's a big difference from a revolver to a semi-auto in 50ae no less.  Good luck and have fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top