Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2014 10:58:12 PM EDT
Old school, cowboy action.  I've had my hands on some Uberti's and I've always been impressed by their quality.  I see Cimarron has lots of attractive choices.  Any preferences between the two brands?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:33:05 PM EDT
[#1]
for the money its hard to beat an uberti. Can't speak for cimarron.. never owned one.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:42:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I use Ruger New Model Vaqueros in .357.  My wife has a nice pair of Taylor & Co. Smoke Wagons in .357.  Both are very nice but I like the "heft" of the Rugers better than the Colt clones.  Can't go wrong with either, imho.

Edit:  I got my Ruger NMVs from Long Hunter. Exceptional product and service.

Ruger NMV:

Taylor & Co.  Smoke Wagon:
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:11:04 AM EDT
[#3]
new vaquero is a fine choice. But its action/internals are completely different than the classic colt SAA

The uberti action is the 4 click  proper colt clone. New vaquero is modern action/safety.

It all comes down to what you want. It still amazes that a BNIB Uberti can be had for sub 450..
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:30:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Old school, cowboy action.  I've had my hands on some Uberti's and I've always been impressed by their quality.  I see Cimarron has lots of attractive choices.  Any preferences between the two brands?
View Quote

Uberti is the manufacturer, Cimarron is the importer. Uberti makes guns for various importers (Stoeger, Navy Arms, Taylor's, Cimarron, etc.). Cimarron specs a higher quality fit and finish than most of the others.

Other Italian makers of Single Action Army clones are Pietta and Armi San Marcos. Uberti is the best of the bunch.

All that said, a Ruger Vaquero is more durable. The Ubertis and other Colt SAA clones are more authentic. The Ruger is also safe to carry with six rounds, ANY authentic SAA clone is not.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:38:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
new vaquero is a fine choice. But its action/internals are completely different than the classic colt SAA

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2915/14226183203_278f52a1bd_b.jpg

The uberti action is the 4 click  proper colt clone
. New vaquero is modern action/safety.

It all comes down to what you want. It still amazes that a BNIB Uberti can be had for sub 450..
View Quote

Sorta...

I have the Uberti and it does "click"  four times as the hammer is cocked... but the timing is WAY different than an authentic Colt Single Action Army.

Like the Colt SAA the Uberti clones should only be loaded with five live rounds and an empty chamber under the hammer.

The Ruger Vaquero and New Vaquero have a transfer bar and can be safely loaded with six rounds.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 4:37:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Doesn't Uberti make a few models with transfer bars?  I thought I saw a few in their catalog.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:38:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Doesn't Uberti make a few models with transfer bars?  I thought I saw a few in their catalog.
View Quote

Not sure, but the model they made for Beretta had the transfer bar for sure  ----  those Beretta branded pistols were really finished pretty
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:27:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

http://www.uberti.com/1873-horseman-revolver

Their horseman model line is.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:12:19 AM EDT
[#9]
The best choice out there is the Ruger, you can't ask for a better gun.  There's a guy on the Ruger forum who just bought a high end gun from Cimmaron for his wedding and it's so loose and rattling that he contacted Cimmaron and they told him that's the way they're supposed to be and they aren't taking it back to see if somethings wrong.  As far as I'm concerned I won't spend a penny on Italian reproductions unless it's something I can't get anywhere else.  All my single actions are Ruger New Vaqueros, Vaqueros, Blackhawks or Single Sixes and I never have to worry whether there will be issues with them.  Buy a Ruger or, if you have the cash, a Colt and you will never go wrong.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:56:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I own eight Uberti's/Cimarron's and although I have no doubt subtle differences exist, I can't see them. I also own a NM Vaquero. If I had to give up one brand or the other it'd unhesitantly be the Vaquero. It's certainly a stout, modern well made revolver but to me lacks refinement.  Comparing the Vaquero to a Colt SA reproduction is like comparing an M1 Abrams to a Camaro.

Uberti is now incorporating a safety in their hammers that when the hammer is in the first click or safety position a block pivots up and preventse the hammer from dropping into the fire position. When I get home I'll post a picture of it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:34:45 AM EDT
[#11]
yep the cattleman has the hammer block safety - that must be engaged manually. Its still wise to load only 5.

As for quality - the ubert i forged on the same colt equipment that produced the generation 2s. Colt sold them the equipment in the 1950s when they left the SAA market. Ruger is however Casted - so that makes them appear to be beefier - thats because they have to be.

What i like about uberti is the many configurations / variations you can have. The ruger is pretty basic in terms of build options.

I own a colt Generation 3, uberti cattleman, and a new vaquero - i like them all.
It all depends on what you want.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:00:35 PM EDT
[#12]
OK, regarding the Uberti safeties, there are two. This is the one on the '73's:

When the hammer is pulled back to the first click, the sear, as it protrudes into the safety notch in the hammer, engages a plunger that pivots the hammer block out as seen above. Sort of "semi" automatic, I think. All but infallible as far as I'm concerned, but of course one must remember to pull the hammer back to the first notch. I carry a Uberti almost daily with six rounds, and the hammer in the safety notch. No mishaps yet, but carrying in this manner is a personal choice.

The other safety is used on the open top models and it truly is manual. This safe is in the front of the hammer shank and must be physically folded out. To do so is really quite easy and I find I can engage this safety with my fingernail on either of my open tops.

Safety "off":

Safety "on":

Like Spax, I own a Colt Gen 3 (.44 Special), several Uberti's and two Rugers. They're each unique in their own ways, but my personal preference is for the Uberti's.

Good luck with your decision!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:42:47 PM EDT
[#13]
How are the Uberti manufactured revolvers sold by Taylor's and Co. marked?  Is Taylor's the importer and marks them so?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:16:51 PM EDT
[#14]
just get one in each size.. and be done with it

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 9:50:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Unless you can afford a Colt or USFA I would opt for a new Vaquero and have it slicked up. I've got a few of the newer Rugers, as well as a number of older examples and they can be tuned rather nicely.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 2:59:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2915/14226183203_278f52a1bd_b.jpg

The uberti action is the 4 click  proper colt clone. New vaquero is modern action/safety.

View Quote

That is stupid sexy! Whats the barrel length?
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 3:23:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cimmerons are Ubertis.

The only difference is that Cimmeron does the final finish on the guns here.  (The base gun is made by Uberti)
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 10:43:11 PM EDT
[#18]
My Cimarron Bisley .357

I really like it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top