Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2014 8:46:16 PM EDT

When I am function testing a new semi-auto, I take various types of ammo. So I didn't think there was any reason for more than one type of ammo to test a new LCR9 today because it is a revolver. I used plain old Remington UMC metal case 9mm 115 grain. This pic shows the resulting shavings.

Should I try some higher quality ammo before I blame the revolver? Or should I send it back right now?

Other than bits of shavings grazing my cheek if I didn't fully extend my arms, I really like this revolver. With the extra four ounces over the .38 version, the LCR9 brings felt recoil down to the same as the .38 version.

The moon clips have a cut in between each round holder that makes it easy to insert and remove cartridges with your fingers.

UPDATE 10/21/14 I believe it was ammo related. I tested again today with Lawman, Wolf, Blazer and Double Tap ammo and could not reproduce the shaving lead problem whatsoever. So I think the Remington ammo was the problem. I also learned that I cannot use Blazer in this revolver because the fourth and fifth bullets separated from the casings from the inertia of firing the first three rounds. So Blazer does not have a strong enough crimp to prevent bullet separation from the case.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:50:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks excessive to me.  I wouldn't blame the ammo first, but it is an easy check to try some other load.

I suspect it will have to go back.  The good news is that Ruger will take care of you.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:51:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks excessive to me.  I wouldn't blame the ammo first, but it is an easy check to try some other load.

I suspect it will have to go back.  The good news is that Ruger will take care of you.
View Quote

Thanks grendelbane.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:42:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks like either the cylinder is not aligned with the bore correctly or the hammer is dropping before the cylinder rotates completely. Either way it needs to go back to Ruger.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:53:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Send it back, it has to be retimed and may need a new hand or cylinder. That is pretty bad!!!....<><....:)
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:56:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I had the same problem with a Dan Wesson a few years ago. I got one of those shavings stuck in my cheek from the jacketed 240 grain HP the first 6 rounds the time I fired it.

Really helped when I sent it back and they put a forcing cone on the barrel.

That timing thing is really important also. Either one should be a factory fix (for free).
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:05:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I had similar problems with some really cheap boxes of .38 spcl  (like 16.00 a box factory  loads cheap) in my ruger gp100 .357.

the lead would clog up the riffling in the bore, switching to reputable brands of ammo fixed the issue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top