Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2014 4:58:08 PM EDT
I don't own any revolvers yet, and I'm really leaning towards a small snub nose for a change in CCW.

I would really like to get my hands on a S&W model 60 Chief Special. It just draws me in for some reason.

I see some model 60s are pinned, and some aren't. Is that a big deal?

Anything I should look out for in particular with S&W revolvers and what do you think is a decent going price for one?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:32:29 PM EDT
[#1]
This is the greatest country in the world. We have the freedom to make our own choices.
Thank you for your service that helps us stay that way. Sincerely.
That being said, I would highly recommend that you "try" a 60/36 before laying down your good $ for one.
They are small, fairly light, easy to conceal several ways, and usually go bang when you want them to.
OTOH ... they only hold 5 rounds, are slower to reload than the semis you're probably used to, and ...
almost w/o fail ... no one I ever took to a range and let try a variety of handguns ever shot my 60 the best.
Some of them were more "comfortable" with it, but no one shot any realistic drills with it and did their best.
(Mine has a fairly smooth/light trigger and wears rubber Pachmayr grips. Most triggers are not as good)  
Usually, I let them try the 60 and then the 66 snub.  They all shot the 66 better/easier.
Check Gunbroker for an idea on prices. I wouldn't be concerned about pinned/not pinned.
As you said, though ;  whatever "draws you in".  
My 2c  

Stay safe
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:37:40 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're looking for an all SS Snubby look at the Ruger SP101. Little heavier, little stronger, little easier to shoot.  The Smiths aren't bad but the new ones just aren't the same as the old ones. Pinned and recessed is more of a collectors thing. It is certainly sexy.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:39:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Mod 60 is a nice CCW revolver. A bit heavy for pocket carry but fine in a holster in or out of the waistband.
Personally for a first revolver you might want something a bit larger to learn on. Snubnosed guns are hard to shoot compared to a full sized one.
A tight lockup is essential. Ask first, but I'd dry fire all five and see that there is minimal play in the cylinder while holding the trigger to the rear. Oh and those little banana grips are tough on your hand shooting +p 38SPL. Another personal opinion stay away from J frame 357MAGs I think that is too much blast and recoil for he little gained out the muzzle.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:33:17 PM EDT
[#4]
the 60 is a great choice but for pure ccw look at the 640

If you get a 60 pinned does not matter there are no recessed 60's

BUT WHAT DOES MATTER is the dash number...  You want a 60-7 or higher pre-7 are not rated for 38+p ammo

so the -7 is pre mim, pre lock, and +p rated everything you need nothing you don't

If it's in good shape 500-550 is a good price.  a 640 should run 550ish.   $100 more if it's 357
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:57:55 PM EDT
[#5]
As long as everyone is throwing in their 2 cents.  I've carried for many years and have lots of holsters and pistols to show for it.  I live in Florida now.  It is a place for low profiles to match the attire.  A chiefs special has a hammer that you don't need.  It will only be snagged when you don't want it to.  The chiefs special was all the rage when it came out in 1965.  Since then the air weight has arrived.  Think long and hard about a hammer-less pistol that weighs 15 ounces empty.  You can forget you have it on.  A pocket holster is practically invisible.  My S&W 442 has been my daily carry gun since 2008.  Check it out.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:06:27 AM EDT
[#6]
i'd think about the old school bodyguard shrouded hammer style if your still on the fence. best of both worlds as far as ccw & shootability.  vintage model 38 airweight, 49, 357 model 649 or modern model 638. here's a model 49 vintage 1971

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:00:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You want a 60-7 or higher pre-7 are not rated for 38+p ammo
View Quote

I may be reading your post wrong & if so I apologize. But S&W states that all J-frames that are "dash" models are +P rated.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:17:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I may be reading your post wrong & if so I apologize. But S&W states that all J-frames that are "dash" models are +P rated.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes and No, ALL current production dash models are +P rated.  Older ones not so.

OP,

You didn't say what you wanted the J frame to do for you.  My next Model 60 is going to be the Pro model with adjustable sights, front night sight and 3" bbl.  I plan on using my as a woods roaming gun.  Used to have a 1 7/8" bbl Model 60 with the Kentucky State Police emblem on the sideplate but sold it.  Used to wear it fishing and canoeing in Ky.  My mother still keeps her older 60 1 7/8"" square butt by the bed.

CD
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:22:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Id never be without a J frame Smith.  My preference is for the 642 without the lock.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:33:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

check the S&W catalog the-7 was the first m60 with a heat treated cylinder  before that 38+p is not recommended.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:33:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I know you said you wanted a 60 and I have one and carried S&W revolvers for years "on the job" before everyone started switching to semi autos. I still teach firearms classes for police and civilians and I suggest you take a long hard look at a Ruger LCR, a great light snub nosed revolver with a GREAT trigger. The LCR's come in your favorite calibers,.22 LR, .22 Mag, .38 Special (+P rated), .357 Mag, and just recently in 9mm. Given the choice I think I would go with the LCR....<><....:)
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:31:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yes and No, ALL current production dash models are +P rated.  Older ones not so.
View Quote

Not what S&W says. According to them, ANY "dash model" (-1, -2, etc.) in a J-frame is +P rated. There is no cut-off aside from a "no dash".
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:40:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I can shoot my Airweight 442 as well as anything I own. ..just not as fast. I never leave home without it. Due to the exceptional accuracy,  smooth trigger, and ease of carry I decided to add a 649 in 357 as a waistband carry.

As a first revolver there will be a learning curve.  It takes most people quite some time to be proficient with the five shot snubs. The triggers are heavier than the larger framed counterparts, and the short sight radius is also a disadvantage.

I find them fun to shoot,  a bit of a challenge,  and easy to carry.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:50:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Id never be without a J frame Smith.  My preference is for the 642 without the lock.
View Quote

Love mine
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:20:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I wouldn't worry too much about shooting +P out of any Model 60. I have a no-dash model and I carry it with +P.

The conventional wisdom on the Smith & Wesson Forums is that the warning about pre -7 models is purely CYA, and lots and lots of pre -7 mod 60 owners shoot +P.

Personally, I would target shoot with non +P and carry +P.

YMMV
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:02:41 PM EDT
[#16]
aluminum frame "Centennial" hammerless SW442... the Federal 125grain NyClads have a pretty good record down here.... if you don't have to shoot through heavy winter clothing... very mild recoil... I usually carry 6 in a Bianchi speed strip

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#17]

My vintage(1972) Model 36.

I find the thin grips uncomfortable to hold. I'm looking for something a little more "hand-filling." It does get the job done at under 10 yards though.

The recoil impulse isn't too bad with standard .38 Spcl. (I don't run +P in it.)

You may find some "pinned" older guns. You will not find any "pinned & recessed" .38 Spcl. revolvers. The "recessed" thing was strictly for the .357 Magnums.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:33:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I love my M60 in 357 Magnum, SS.  Smoothest trigger of any of my pistols.  I don't have a problem with the recoil, and I rather enjoy the fireball with full power magnums.   Although they make low flash ammo for short barrel .357's, I don't use them. :P
The newer ones have a rubber grip that I like and help control the muzzle flip.  I love the look of the Ladysmith stye grips, but those wood grips get slick with full power magnums.

I doubt I will ever give up my M60/357.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:41:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I find the thin grips uncomfortable to hold. I'm looking for something a little more "hand-filling." It does get the job done at under 10 yards though.
View Quote

I put these on most of my J-frames. Wonderful grips, IMO.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:38:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z114/bobsgunsUSP/grips.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z114/bobsgunsUSP/grips.jpg

Where do I find them?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:05:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I've been on a snubbie buying spree since I got my first 60-7 some months back. I have since acquired a 649-1 and a Colt Detective Special ( '59 vintage ).
I finally went to the range last weekend and shot 5 boxes of ammo through the 3 guns. They are some snappy little things! The DS was the most comfortable to shoot, probably because of its slightly larger size. The 60 has some Uncle Mikes grips and felt good to shoot but the 649 has some very nice, beautiful aftermarket wood grips that allowed the "hump" to hit the web of my thumb. Pretty annoying, but the grips are so nice that I'll suffer through it, lol.
Now, my only gripe is that my accuracy with these pistols was not nearly as well as my other guns. I can shoot tight ragged holes with my larger framed autos all day but with the snubbies my groups opened up to about hand sized at 21ft.
I have read that these are capable of great accuracy,  so I guess I just need to practice more. Just disappointed that my first outing with them wasn't as good as my first outing with my other guns...
So, long story short, get one! They are neat little guns!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:14:33 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a Mod 60 no dash for mostly nostalgia reasons but prefer the 442.  They can still be found of recent manufacture without the lock.  Great for the pocket or a holster.

Link Posted: 10/10/2014 9:14:57 AM EDT
[#23]
With the J frame, the 3 incher is a lot easier to hit with.  For a pocket gun, the enclosed hammer would be best.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 4:49:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

OP,

You didn't say what you wanted the J frame to do for you.  My next Model 60 is going to be the Pro model with adjustable sights, front night sight and 3" bbl.  I plan on using my as a woods roaming gun.  Used to have a 1 7/8" bbl Model 60 with the Kentucky State Police emblem on the sideplate but sold it.  Used to wear it fishing and canoeing in Ky.  My mother still keeps her older 60 1 7/8"" square butt by the bed.

CD
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP,

CD

you will love the model 60 pro! I have had mine for a few years now and I love it. shooting hotter hand loaded 357mags it does kick pretty good though if I don't have a glove on it has made the webbing of my hand in between my thumb and index finger bleed the top of the grips and frame hit me just right to break the skin open no matter how i have tried to hold it. I know a grip change would stop that for me but I like the grips on it so I will deal with it. when I use it at the range I just wear a glove if im shooting 357mags.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 7:15:43 AM EDT
[#25]
I like a 60 with 3 inch barrel.  Really nice trigger in single action mode.  I hit better with it than some of the smaller autos.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 11:22:07 AM EDT
[#26]

Get a set of these awesome ugly grips

(Actually though, these things rock)
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 8:54:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Wow Waffles. They have to be the ugliest grips i've ever seen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top