Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2014 8:33:20 PM EDT
I just bought this revolver as a present to my wife.  She loves old revolvers and rare calibers.

It is a Police Positive.

I was looking for some opinions on weather I should leave it in original condition or have it refinished?  I don't know much about it except that the S/N shows it was made in 1919.

How would I know if it was the target version?

Thanks for any information or advice.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:58:09 PM EDT
[#1]
This one is from about 1909......I shoot it once a year or so. I would keep yours original.

I am not familiar enough with them to expound.....

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 9:02:38 PM EDT
[#2]
It's not the target version, that wasn't available in that caliber. Also, it's worth more in its original finish so I would advise against rebluing.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 9:40:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Firearms in general should only be refinished after special consideration .

A proper refinish job can be quite expensive . With most newer guns it would be more cost effective to buy a brand new gun or a better condition used one. Possible exception to this is when a factory for whatever reason offers a cut rate to refinish .

With most older guns a good share of their value is to collectors and history buffs . To refinish a collectable or historic firearm will make it "pretty" but will absolutely trash most of its value.

From time to time a person has a beat up old firearm that for whatever reason has some sentimental value to them and they wish to make it "pretty" , "new" or "just like it used to look back whenever" As long as they understand the cost and the effect on the collectors value of the piece - why not ?

A gun like the OPs does have some collectors value and should not be messed with a lot . Oil it up , go after any active rust (gently!) but don't get crazy trying to make it shine . Looks like a fine toy. It is a old gun , that caliber is fairly mild , don't get crazy with hot reloads .
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:45:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a bit of a fascination with 32-20 guns (a family thing).

Ammo will not be cheap.

It is a great old caliber that was originally chambered in handguns (I think Colt Single Action Army) and then in Rifles (like the Winchester Model 92). It allowed people to carry just one type of ammunition for both the pistol and the rifle.

If you reload, the brass is thin as paper and easy to mangle. I found that the Lee Factory Crimp Die is much better than crimping during the bullet seating step.

There is some old ammo that was intended to be shot from rifles (high pressure). IIRC, it was made in the 1970s and is labeled Winchester High Velocity Rifle Ammunition. Do not use this ammo in your pistol. (Send it to me for safe keeping)
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:04:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I would totally keep that thing original.  It looks good just the way it sits.  I have an old Winchester 73 in 32-20 that I need to take out sometime.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:19:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Spend your money on reloading supplies.

Do not refinish.

I loves me some 32-20

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:35:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I would remove the original grips.  The old hard rubber grips didn't hold up well over time and can be very fragile.  Modern copies have been made, I believe Brownells stocks them.  Otherwise leave it alone.  It's a nice enough pistol, but the condition isn't really collector quality.  A 32 20 Police Positive is somewhat common.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:08:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks to be in pretty good shape.   Have it looked over by a collector.   If it is all original, I would leave it alone.  

The target models have adjustable sights.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:55:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I would keep the original finish.
It's actually a Police Positive Special, as the cylinder is longer for the 32-20 and 38 special cartridge, and I have never seen a target PPS in 32-20.
Yours is the nice fixed sight model.

Does anyone know of any grips that fit these guns, because I think the grip frame size was discontinued some time in the mid twenties, and consequently, aftermarket grips were usually only
made for the later models in 38 spl.?

Ammo is available, at least occasionally,  from Winchester, Remington, Ultramax, Black Hills, Ten-X, HSM, Load-X, Buffalo Arms, Wisconsin Cartridge, and others.  
Most of it is all lead, thought sometimes someone will make a run of JSP.
There are even dummy cartridges available from AZOOM.

If you want to spend the bucks, (I think about $75, which is expensive), you can get a letter in a couple months from Colt, telling you a little bit about the gun, and where it originally went.
Most seem to have gone to hardware stores, or department stores.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 6:40:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ammo will not be cheap.

It is a great old caliber that was originally chambered in handguns (I think Colt Single Action Army) and then in Rifles (like the Winchester Model 92). It allowed people to carry just one type of ammunition for both the pistol and the rifle.

If you reload, the brass is thin as paper and easy to mangle. I found that the Lee Factory Crimp Die is much better than crimping during the bullet seating step.

There is some old ammo that was intended to be shot from rifles (high pressure). IIRC, it was made in the 1970s and is labeled Winchester High Velocity Rifle Ammunition. Do not use this ammo in your pistol. (Send it to me for safe keeping)
View Quote

I hear you on the pistol rifle set - these are both in great shape and I shoot them every year or so....I will have to try to get a die set. I have the Lee crimp already.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I hear you on the pistol rifle set - these are both in great shape and I shoot them every year or so....I will have to try to get a die set. I have the Lee crimp already.

http://i46.tinypic.com/douu5h.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ammo will not be cheap.

Nice.

My rifle was manufactured in 1894 and looks like it spent very little of its youth in a safe.  

I have a couple of pistols (a Colt and an S&W 1905 Hand Ejector).

I am seriously lusting after a Colt SAA of appropriate vintage, but the $$$$$$$$$$$$

I will try to get a pic of my 32-20 family and bump this thread over the weekend.

BTW, Starline makes 32-20 brass, which is in stock at MidwayUSA (including nickle plated).
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:52:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Damnit.... Now you have me looking at revolvers....
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:22:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Nice.

My rifle was manufactured in 1894 and looks like it spent very little of its youth in a safe.  

I am seriously lusting after a Colt SAA of appropriate vintage, but the $$$$$$$$$$$$

I will try to get a pic of my 32-20 family and bump this thread over the weekend.

BTW, Starline makes 32-20 brass, which is in stock at MidwayUSA (including nickle plated).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ammo will not be cheap.

Nice.

And you were doing so well.....until you entrapped me into ordering that brass! I hope you plan on going to confession for this........
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:23:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Does anyone know of any grips that fit these guns
View Quote

See http://www.vintagegungrips.com/vintage-pistol-and-gun-grip-by-manufacturer-c-and-d.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top