Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/6/2014 10:15:58 PM EDT
Talking with one of my friends at the LGS, and was offered the chance to purchase something they didn't want to put out... it was just too nice.. too perfect. If they put it in the case, someone would screw it up.. cock it.. ect. I accepted!! From out of the back room, out walks this colt... in the decades of collecting, I have never seen such a true "MINT" gun. This is as close to time travel I will ever get!!

First picture.... the original box... circa 1937

Second picture... opening the box.. original wax paper wrap

Third pic... removed the wax paper and colt revolver to find the cleaning rod still in the sealed wrap... the paperwork... all new.. all fresh... from 1937!!

Fourth pic... the revolver! 1937 5" Official police... unfired. UNCOCKED. No ring on cylinder. No wear on any surface. No scratches.. no finger prints... nothing. Cylinder has not been opened or spun since it left the factory 77 years ago. Perfect in every way.

Fifth pic... other side... I am still stunned... I have no idea how this revolver lasted 77 years in such perfect condition.. the paperwork didnt even yellow. A rare one indeed. Not sure what I am going to do with this one... I hate safe queens.. but I dont think I can bring myself to shoot it.

Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:18:33 PM EDT
[#1]
What'd it set u back?
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:24:04 PM EDT
[#2]
That is a classic beauty!
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:26:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What'd it set u back?
View Quote

It was over a grand... I'm not sure what book price is on one, but I think I got a deal.

Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:31:27 PM EDT
[#4]
OMG
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:36:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh man that's nice. What a find OP!
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:40:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks fellas...

Anyone else have similar stories.. pics..?
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:40:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow, damn.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:44:37 PM EDT
[#8]
That is incredible.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:48:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Talking with one of my friends at the LGS, and was offered the chance to purchase something they didn't want to put out... it was just too nice.. too perfect. If they put it in the case, someone would screw it up.. cock it.. ect. I accepted!! From out of the back room, out walks this colt... in the decades of collecting, I have never seen such a true "MINT" gun. This is as close to time travel I will ever get!!

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad304/strangedaze13/colt1_zps7a62d589.jpg

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad304/strangedaze13/colt2_zps5787fbdb.jpg

Third pic... removed the wax paper and colt revolver to find the cleaning rod still in the sealed wrap... the paperwork... all new.. all fresh... from 1937!!

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad304/strangedaze13/colt3_zpsecc5131a.jpg

Fourth pic... the revolver! 1937 5" Official police... unfired. UNCOCKED. No ring on cylinder. No wear on any surface. No scratches.. no finger prints... nothing. Cylinder has not been opened or spun since it left the factory 77 years ago. Perfect in every way.

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad304/strangedaze13/colt4_zpsafda8d96.jpg

Fifth pic... other side... I am still stunned... I have no idea how this revolver lasted 77 years in such perfect condition.. the paperwork didnt even yellow. A rare one indeed. Not sure what I am going to do with this one... I hate safe queens.. but I dont think I can bring myself to shoot it.

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad304/strangedaze13/colt5_zps3fef838a.jpg
View Quote

I know this sounds odd.... but I think you should set up to have it donated to the NRA Museum. Seriously, that is a museum quality piece. Either now or later in life.... but I would do so... it really is something special.

Tax write off at the end of course.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:51:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 11:12:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Great find. What an outstanding specimen.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 11:26:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I wish I could afford to donate... I agree, it is a museum piece.

Quoted:

I know this sounds odd.... but I think you should set up to have it donated to the NRA Museum. Seriously, that is a museum quality piece. Either now or later in life.... but I would do so... it really is something special.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad304/strangedaze13/colt1_zps7a62d589.jpg

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad304/strangedaze13/colt2_zps5787fbdb.jpg

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad304/strangedaze13/colt3_zpsecc5131a.jpg

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad304/strangedaze13/colt4_zpsafda8d96.jpg

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad304/strangedaze13/colt5_zps3fef838a.jpg

Link Posted: 9/6/2014 11:42:29 PM EDT
[#13]

I'm totally awestruck.

Great score..!!!

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 2:21:42 AM EDT
[#14]
beautiful; simply beautiful OP.

I own a 1909 colt vest pocket hammer-less NIB. I got a couple of pics of it that i think folks here will enjoy; but i don't wish to hi-jack - but if its ok with you ill post a couple of pics.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 3:14:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Awesome. There's nothing wrong with a safe queen when it's something like that. Good job, OP.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:34:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Unbelievable.  That's beautiful.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:43:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 8:18:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Pass it down to your kids. You have a family heirloom right there.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 8:39:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Wow.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 9:39:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Have it cera coated and put some pachmayers on there
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 9:50:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Had to look twice at your join date to make sure it didn't have a "13" in it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 9:56:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Very very nice score!
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 10:12:07 AM EDT
[#23]
I'd handle that one with white gloves. Very nice.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 10:28:57 AM EDT
[#24]
wow! It sure would be fun to shoot! Good for you
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 10:48:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Awesome.. please do!! I'd love to see them!

Quoted:

I own a 1909 colt vest pocket hammer-less NIB. I got a couple of pics of it that i think folks here will enjoy; but i don't wish to hi-jack - but if its ok with you ill post a couple of pics.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 10:53:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope everyone figured i was kidding  --- In reality, i dont know what i'd do with a revolver like that --  I took great pleasure in popping the first rounds through a NIB Python a few years back -- but then "NIB" meant an extra $200 over one in 98% condition --- not $1500

I now have a SAA 2nd Gen (threads in here somewhere) that is unfired that i really want to shoot - but have thus far held off (It may very well remain unfired)

The revolver in this thread is a beautiful gun ---- I think i would leave it unfired, but i would have to hunt down a "shooter" version to have just to appease me   (which i am now trying to do with the SAA )
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 11:16:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well done.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 3:29:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Very nice.  That's really an understatement.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:11:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Good thing Michigan got rid of their handgun inspection a few years back.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:23:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Here it is

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:36:34 PM EDT
[#31]
awesome thread
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:38:25 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:48:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Totally retarded idea but I can sympathize.  That is a cool revolver and in spectacular condition for its age.  That is also why I probably would have passed on it unless I could get it for a great price and turn it around for a profit.  What good does it do?  I want handgun I can shoot not a safe queen.  It would drive me nuts to have that in my gun collection, never to be fired or carried.  On one hand I admire the revolver and its condition on the other hand I could not own it without shooting it and that would be a shame for that revolver.  I would sell it and get two or three shooters and have some fun.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:52:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Schweeeeeeet!
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:20:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:...Not sure what I am going to do with this one... I hate safe queens.. but I dont think I can bring myself to shoot it.
View Quote

I'd be torn on it as well, but I suspect only temporarily. It's absolutely museum-quality, but I'd be tempted to actually use it. May be due to getting older, but to me it'd be almost like having a mint '57 Chevy - I'd definitely baby it, but I'd absolutely be driving it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:33:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...fuken '09ers  
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:53:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks all.... I like the advice.. I will probably hunt down a shooter to enjoy, and keep this one in the safe.

Its not so much the gun that blows my mind.. but the box & papers. Living min michigan.... its so humid here... I've never seen papers or boxes stay that perfect!

Love the pics of the older colts bud.. thanks for posting... gorgeous!
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 8:11:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Thanks all.... I like the advice.. I will probably hunt down a shooter to enjoy, and keep this one in the safe.

Its not so much the gun that blows my mind.. but the box & papers. Living min michigan.... its so humid here... I've never seen papers or boxes stay that perfect!

Love the pics of the older colts bud.. thanks for posting... gorgeous!
View Quote

You are very welcome. Treasure that one.. they don't come up NIB very often at that age.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 8:40:17 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I'd be torn on it as well, but I suspect only temporarily. It's absolutely museum-quality, but I'd be tempted to actually use it. May be due to getting older, but to me it'd be almost like having a mint '57 Chevy - I'd definitely baby it, but I'd absolutely be driving it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:...Not sure what I am going to do with this one... I hate safe queens.. but I dont think I can bring myself to shoot it.

Leave it as it. I KNOW THE URGE IS STRONG!

I have a NIB Browning Auto 5 Magnum and it will remain unfired. It was made in 1988 and sure.... not as rare as yours but it is worth something. I spoke with the NRA Museum and they will take it as a donation for display when I either tire of it or die and it is willed to them. The reason why is some pieces are just worth as display piece for the fact that they are NIB.

Don't mess with it. Leave it as is and shoot other guns.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 10:08:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I have a NIB Browning Auto 5 Magnum and it will remain unfired. It was made in 1988 and sure.... not as rare as yours but it is worth something. I spoke with the NRA Museum and they will take it as a donation for display when I either tire of it or die and it is willed to them. The reason why is some pieces are just worth as display piece for the fact that they are NIB.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1, they can only be NIB once; and when we are talking about NIB from 60+ yrs ago.. leave it alone.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 10:37:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Of course.. I agree.. its in its box, in the safe... its not going anywhere. I couldn't will it to the NRA... I've given them enough money over the last several decades...but it'll be there fr the retirement, or the kids, ect..

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 11:30:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Of course.. I agree.. its in its box, in the safe... its not going anywhere. I couldn't will it to the NRA... I've given them enough money over the last several decades...but it'll be there fr the retirement, or the kids, ect..

View Quote

Keep it in the family if possible as a heirloom. Thats what i am doing.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 11:32:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Fukn sweet!
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 11:38:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Why is cocking the gun so bad?
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 7:42:55 AM EDT
[#45]
You can't fire that thing! It's too perfect!
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 8:49:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Leaves a drag line on the cylinder... Easy to see on blued guns.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 3:32:14 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Shows evidence of being played with.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 8:53:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not to threadjack, but what's up with the forcing cone on that one..? Looks like it's either got eighty thousand rounds of lead buildup, or else has been rebuilt using PC-7...  
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 5:53:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Absolutely stunning
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 6:18:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Stunning! Well done, OP!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top