Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2014 10:53:10 PM EDT
I  have never owned a double action revolver. Recently I have been interested in picking up a 3" or 4" .357 mag.  The lgs has a mod 66 4" .357 for $450.  It looks pretty used but seems to lock up tight and has had trigger work.  Double action is very smooth and light and single action is very light and crisp.  Is this a good price and is there anything else i should check out on the gun? I am pretty familiar with single action revolvers just not double action. This would be an informal target/plinking gun with occasional woods carry.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:29:14 PM EDT
[#1]
For $450 if it isn't beat up jump on it! That gun should bring $600+
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:39:27 PM EDT
[#2]
From the new blue book its showing:

100% 675

98% 595

95% 500

90% 460

80% 375

70% 300

Add 10% for 2 1/2" barrel

Add $29 for 6 in barrel
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:39:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Fair price in today's market.  The trigger work would be a concern of mine.  Who did it, what did they do, etc.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:00:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fair price in today's market.  The trigger work would be a concern of mine.  Who did it, what did they do, etc.
View Quote

Often, dilettantes loosen the hammer spring screw and the 50% of rounds won't go off.

If the sear has been dinked with, it can be unsafe.  With an empty gun, pull the hammer back to full cock and then push on the hammer spur.  If it goes forward, the sear/hammer is fuxored.

There is a 4" 66 on our local backpage for $750 right now.......and a 19 at $650.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:03:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

100% 675
98% 595
95% 500
90% 460
80% 375
70% 300

Add $29 for 6 in barrel
View Quote

I think most sellers are ignoring the blue book these days on anything but current production firearms
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:35:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I just picked one up at my LGS for $600 out the door. It had the box and an extra set of pachmayr grips. I don't think I did too bad. It's been fired but kept in good condition and I think the rubber grips lived on it most of the time. The target grips look brand new.

I've seen them go for more on gunbroker.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 2:37:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I think most sellers are ignoring the blue book these days on anything but current production firearms

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

100% 675

98% 595

95% 500

90% 460

80% 375

70% 300

Add $29 for 6 in barrel

Oh like the people who want $2800 for a $1300 python...I know, but I understand people think a gun is worth "X" amount to them, but in the business of buying a gun no way would I pay some of these over inflated prices people are asking for. On a older gun in good condition, etc... well kept I can see paying 25% above book, but I laugh when I see colt python prices on GB

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 4:11:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Oh like the people who want $2800 for a $1300 python...I know, but I understand people think a gun is worth "X" amount to them, but in the business of buying a gun no way would I pay some of these over inflated prices people are asking for. On a older gun in good condition, etc... well kept I can see paying 25% above book, but I laugh when I see colt python prices on GB  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

100% 675
98% 595
95% 500
90% 460
80% 375
70% 300

Add $29 for 6 in barrel

In the case of the Pythons, or any of the other snake guns -- people keep paying up, so the sellers have no incentive to bring the prices down  .    So much so that it has also brought up the price of more pedestrian offerings, like the detective specials and Troopers

The bubble will burst , sure, but the days of getting a near new Python for 1300 may be long past .

Smith's have also gone up --- but their 10% premium for the snub version of the 66 is almost laughable compared to the prices asked for short barrelled pre-lock S&W's    

Just glad i got mine for $375 a couple of years ago (but it has a police rack number engraved on the frame )
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:45:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

In the case of the Pythons, or any of the other snake guns -- people keep paying up, so the sellers have no incentive to bring the prices down  .    So much so that it has also brought up the price of more pedestrian offerings, like the detective specials and Troopers

The bubble will burst , sure, but the days of getting a near new Python for 1300 may be long past .

Smith's have also gone up --- but their 10% premium for the snub version of the 66 is almost laughable compared to the prices asked for short barrelled pre-lock S&W's    

Just glad i got mine for $375 a couple of years ago (but it has a police rack number engraved on the frame )
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

100% 675
98% 595
95% 500
90% 460
80% 375
70% 300

Add $29 for 6 in barrel

this is one stupid post- kinda like "the neck beardshave all the 66's" guns are a luxury you think 66 is nuts try tofind a 3" or snubbiny python if you want a prelock S&W 66, 27,  or a k-43/g-43 or Winchester lee navy your going to have to find one first as they are no longer made.. in good shape its even harder

these are not tavor, scar17, AUG or OBRs being cranked out as we speak if you have one its a sellers market.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top