Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/27/2014 7:35:17 PM EDT
I'd like a 44mag for my first wheel gun.  

I don't know much about revolvers in terms of what models are available.  I would like something in the 3-4" range like a Taurus Tracker 44 or a Taurus Model 44.  DA/SA is a must.  Not sure if I give the nod to the 5 shot or the 6 shot.... probably doesn't matter.  What other makes/models are available in similar configurations to the Taurus models I've mentioned above?  Any thoughts on the Taurus?  I know it's not a S&W, but I'd like to keep my price target in the $400-550 range.  Doesn't have to be new.  Just need some other models to keep an eye out for at the next show.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:06:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I paid $500 for a S & W 29 6" barrel at a gun show.
I'd rate it at 95%
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:10:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd rate it at 95%
View Quote

This. I want a .44mag to match my 1894. I'd much rather hold out for a used 29/629. I had a Rossi (Taurus) .38 special. Trigger was crap. Sold it and recently picked up a prelock 586. Night and day.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:10:30 PM EDT
[#3]
A friend has a 41 Magnum tracker.  I have never shot it but he said it is punishing to shoot.  I think his has about a 4 " barrel.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:15:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Do yourself a favor and hold out for a model 29.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:22:34 PM EDT
[#5]
You can score great deals on Smith revolvers if you're patient enough.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:36:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Friends don't let friends buy Taurus. Buy a smith or ruger and don't look back. I got my 3" 629 in your price range so deals exist if you look but even if you can't find a cheap one buy the nicer gun. Guns are a once in a lifetime purchase and the maintenance is the same regardless of brand so buy once cry once is a good fit here.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:38:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I got impatient and bought a new, and new out this year S&W Model 69, 5 shot. I found out first time out it had a cylinder you couldn't get a round in. Smith promptly fixed it with a new cylinder. This gun has a 4. something barrel with a half lug under the barrel. I loved shooting .44 specials in it.  .44 Magnums in that light weight short barrel are rather punishing for an old man. Some young guys might like it. I didn't have any trouble selling it. I have a Ruger Redhawk 5.5" barrel, 6 shot on order at my LGS. I hear horror stories about Taurus, but have only owned 2. They worked fine. Like is being said, I would hold out for an older Smith or Ruger, but I would go for a longer barrel.

Thanks,
Mark
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:08:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I got impatient and bought a new, and new out this year S&W Model 69, 5 shot. I found out first time out it had a cylinder you couldn't get a round in. Smith promptly fixed it with a new cylinder. This gun has a 4. something barrel with a half lug under the barrel. I loved shooting .44 specials in it.  .44 Magnums in that light weight short barrel are rather punishing for an old man. Some young guys might like it. I didn't have any trouble selling it. I have a Ruger Redhawk 5.5" barrel, 6 shot on order at my LGS. I hear horror stories about Taurus, but have only owned 2. They worked fine. Like is being said, I would hold out for an older Smith or Ruger, but I would go for a longer barrel.

Thanks,
Mark
View Quote

How long a wait for the Redhawk nowadays and how much did they get ya for it, if you don't mind me asking? They seem pricey used cause the new ones are so slow in production. Or did Ruger finally get the new production line up and running? I've always wanted a 5.5 stainless!
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:20:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I've more than a dozen .44 mags. Smiths, Rugers and a Colt Anaconda. As a frequent shooter rather than a collector, I strongly suggest you save a few more bucks and buy a Smith or a Ruger.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:42:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I love my Ruger Old Vaquero in .44 Mag. It's plenty accurate.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:49:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Do yourself a favor and hold out for a model 629.
View Quote

I hate square butts, and stainless is sexy

but seriously though, at the least I would save up for a a Ruger.  My personal choice is the S&W 629 4"

Taurus is garbage, and has zero resale value...

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:49:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the feedback.  

Will keep my eyes peeled for Ruger Redhawks and cheap/used Smith 629 and 29's.  I've been browsing the classifieds and gun shows, but I don't think I've ever seen a Smith I'd be interested in for under $900 locally.  I also sincerely doubt I'd ever find a Colt within my budget.  My budget for a 44 revolver is ~$500 +/- $50-75.  It's not an issue of "saving up", it's simply what I'm willing to pay to add a wheelgun to my collection considering that I also have to buy a holster, speed loaders, ammo, dies, and reloading components.  If my first revolver piques my interest, perhaps I'll spring for a Colt next time around.  I'm just not willing to triple my budget to buy a top-end revolver for my first one.  

While I cannot comment on Taurus revolvers being garbage, I can attest that they do have resale value as I'm not seeing used offerings for much less than new prices.

Planning to purchase dies and a spare turret for my press in conjunction with the revolver purchase.  I will probably load lighter, 44 spl loads, for target shooting and leave the hotter 44 mag loads for more critical uses.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:30:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do yourself a favor and hold out for a model 29.
View Quote

The truth !

In revolver world one of the most  critical features is a good trigger . The better the trigger the easier it is to shoot and shoot well . Shooting well gives the highest enjoyment

Taurus is grade three . Guns go boom and with practice the can be somewhat serviceable but not so much fun

Ruger makes some finely finished ,stout as hell revolvers but the triggers are really only ok or a bit beter with some work. second class

A 29 is the Blued S&W 44 mag (old production only used guns) , the 629 is stainless

S&W 629. First class . triggers from the factory are generally decent or better and with spring kits or a bit of work they are spectacular . All sorts of barrel lengths and finish options are available and if you search around the older blued guns are near works of art
The Ruger guys will tell you the S&W guns are not as strong (true) but if you want a hammer or something that will handle heavier than factory loads you should buy a hammer (ruger) or a bigger than 44mag caliber gun (S&W X frame).

The S&W guns cost more than Taurus and a bit more than Ruger but I can justfy that in resale value alone and the ability to shoot well is enjoyable and priceless.

Apologies to the folks who are fans of the Taurus and Ruger but I believe the S&W is so far ahead that it isn't really a close thing
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:45:17 AM EDT
[#14]
I hope you have some shooting experience. A 44 Mag is not exactly a starter pistol.
There are many on the market after Christmas from "shooters" that thought they needed a 44 (or now a 500) and reconsidered after a few rounds out of the first box of ammo.

So deals are out there... how long do you want to wait?

I would advise you to use the Army's; "crawl, walk, run" method of training. Start with PROPER INSTRUCTION not watching western movies or Dirty Harry.
Go rent a 357 mag at a local range with a box of 38 wimp loads. Then move on to the 357's. then change that out to a 44 with specials, if available, then start feeding it 44 mags. This way you KNOW what you are getting into and if you really want some of that. You will also know you will want to wait for the Smith over a probably anything else.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 12:49:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

How long a wait for the Redhawk nowadays and how much did they get ya for it, if you don't mind me asking? They seem pricey used cause the new ones are so slow in production. Or did Ruger finally get the new production line up and running? I've always wanted a 5.5 stainless!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,
Mark

I have a new production Redhawk. I paid a little under $800 for it. It's a great gun but I had to change the grip. I just put 100 rounds through it with the new grip this past weekend. It's a hogue grip.

DSC_0001.jpg by Jarrett.Lauver, on Flickr
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 1:34:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 1:52:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I've had a Ruger Super Redhawk for 20 years.  Awesome gun.  Accurate and lots of fun.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:03:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Finding a model 29 for that price is not easy. I know, because I've been looking for years and only happened to stumble across one the other day by luck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd rate it at 95%

Finding a model 29 for that price is not easy. I know, because I've been looking for years and only happened to stumble across one the other day by luck.

I was going to say the same thing... a model 29 or pre-lock 629 in 95% condition for $500 is a rare deal.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:05:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Get a ruger Blackhawk or used smith. NOT A TAURUS!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:09:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Spend the $550 on a Ruger GP100.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:17:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Smith all the way.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:27:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I gotta agree, Taurus quality is spotty at best and the resale value is crap city.  I wouldn't buy a used Taurus either because A. The crappy resale value B. You are likely buying something that the last buyer found was junk.  That's not to say there aren't some good Taurus revolvers out there but it's a crap shoot finding one.

For the money, especially if you plan to shoot hot ammo, you just can't beat a Ruger at all.  I own several Ruger revolvers and they are bad@ss tanks that are almost indestructible.  I LOVE Ruger revolvers.  

Now, onto S&W, they are excellent guns and the standard model 29's and 629's are a great choice also.  They aren't quite as strong as the Ruger's but unless you are going to feed your gun a steady diet of heavy loads it's not an issue.  If, you can swing the extra cost, S&W's Performance Center revolvers are the cream of the crop.  I'm a dyed in the wool Ruger girl but my favorite revolver is my S&W 629 V-Comp.  The Performance Center turns great guns into amazing guns.  My V-Comp is insanely accurate, trigger is fantastic and the gun is just gorgeous.

I gotta say starting out with a .44 magnum as your first revolver is a pretty bold move.  It's not a killer but it's turned more than one first timer off from powerful revolvers, myself included.  The first time I shot a .44 magnum it was a Redhawk and I had never shot a magnum in my life, one shot and I wanted nothing to do with a .44mag ever again.  It took a good twenty years before I shot another and that wasn't until I had a fair bit of .357 mag time in.  It's not a deal killer but just remember it's going to kick like a beast and it'll take a few shots to get used to it.  The worst thing you can do is jump in too fast and develop a flinch that will really mess with all your shooting.  If you have a fair bit of experience with recoil it won't be a problem.

This is my baby, a S&W 629 V-Comp Performance Center .44 magnum with a Trijicon RMR red dot.  By far, the sweetest revolver I've ever shot.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:29:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

If he can find a .44 magnum GP100, I'll buy it for him LOL.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 4:21:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,
Mark

We are not sure on the waiting time. I am guessing anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months. The dealer is a friend of mine, sometimes he is a little higher than others, but sometimes he is a lot lower. All I can say about the price is somewhere under $800.00. I will pay him a little more, b/c I want him to stay in business. They have a state of the art indoor range that is kept up, clean, and usually not super busy.

Thanks,
Mark
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:12:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Must be a new model although it wouldn't surprise me if someone had built one. There is always that one weird guy.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:17:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Worth it to save up for the smith or rugers I have a Taurus Raging Bull its a good revolver other then the trigger, no contest to the smiths or rugers not shown is a S&W 69 or SBH 4.62" ss 44mag (in layaway jail )

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:49:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I meant a GP100 in .357 Magnum.  Its a great revolver, and great for a new revolver shooter / reloader.  

However, since you offered to buy him a GP100 in 44, I found this:

Gary Reeder's Skorpion

Yeah, its not a "Magnum", just a 44 special.  

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:04:19 PM EDT
[#28]
I want one of these:
Super Redhawk Alaskan GP-44

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:00:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Don't fuck around with taurus junk

Ruger blackhawk ( on the right )

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:51:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I gotta say starting out with a .44 magnum as your first revolver is a pretty bold move.  It's not a killer but it's turned more than one first timer off from powerful revolvers, myself included.  
View Quote

My first Glock was a G29 10mm.  You'd have thought that I would have learned my lesson.  

I would expect that I could load up some nice, light 44 spl loads for target shooting enjoyment and would probably only break out the full power 44 mag loads on rare occasions for practice and carry at times.  Not that I intend to carry the 44 on a regular basis, but I like to carry all of my guns at some point.  I think the 44 would be ideal for hiking and camping.  

As to my desire for a .44 over a .357/38 or a bigger .460/.500, it really comes down to the number of calibers that I have to maintain stock and reloading supplies for.  I have too many as it is, and I my rule of thumb is that I need to do a better job of planning the firearms that I build/purchase so as not to expand the calibers I have to maintain.  I've decided on the .44, knowing I'll have to maintain it as a new caliber and don't want a .38/357 to also maintain.  When it comes down to it, the only other caliber revolver I'd be interested in would be something chambered in 9mm since I already maintain that caliber.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:08:13 AM EDT
[#31]
I wouldn't say jumping into a 44 is foolhardy although many have found it isn't for them after shooting them several times. Even with a light load these are stout but not unmanageable.

If you do not reload they can be spendy to shoot, if you cast it is very cheap.

I would steer clear of Taurus and focus on Ruger and S&W. Rugers are overbuilt, Smiths are better finished.

I have a Bisley Vaquero in SS which is awesome, having a chance to do it over I'd gone with something that has adjustable sights. I will probably pick one up in time but right now I am looking at finding a lever action in .44mag.

I have read you can load a case with Trail Boss for a nice "light" load. I load at the suggested starting load and haven't stray too far past it except for once or twice just for fun. Just remember to wear gloves when you do.

I usually shoot my 44mag first then move to my 9mm. When I do it feels as though the 9mm is a BB gun.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:51:12 PM EDT
[#32]
In my opinion if your a reloader the .44 is the most versatile handgun you could possibly own.

I load "plinking" rounds with cheap LCRN I buy in bulk to roughly .45acp data and they are super light and pleasant to shoot.  My fiancé has no problem shooting them and she is very recoil sensitive.

I use my 4" 629 as a woods gun with 3 light loads and 3 heavy loads in the cylinder. Heavy loads are in plated brass cases so they are visibly a different color for indexing the cylinder.  Makes a great "do all" rig

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:07:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're forgetting about the SRH, which is based on the GP-100.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:50:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3810/12941281053_d6359ba649_k.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The super redhawk is based on the gp100?? News to me for sure. It's a much bigger frame.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:47:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Went to a gun show today.  Didn't see a single 629.  The handful of Colts I saw were north of $1500 unless they were in really rough condition.  Handled a few GP100's and like the size and weight.  I figure that I'd prefer a larger framed revolver in 44 mag over a lightweight 357 any day.  The search will continue.  I'm watching the local gun boards to see if I run across anything.   I did see a Super Redhawk Alaskan in .480.  I'm not super keen on the size of it.  A little too short for my taste.  I think a large frame with a 4" barrel like the standard Redhawk would suit me better.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:24:18 PM EDT
[#36]
.41 Magnum is the best Magnum........
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:39:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Looks like it's already been beaten to death, so I'm just here to post a pic.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:54:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a GP100 or based on one.  Styled after one maybe.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:58:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Went to a gun show today.  Didn't see a single 629.  The handful of Colts I saw were north of $1500 unless they were in really rough condition.  Handled a few GP100's and like the size and weight.  I figure that I'd prefer a larger framed revolver in 44 mag over a lightweight 357 any day.  The search will continue.  I'm watching the local gun boards to see if I run across anything.   I did see a Super Redhawk Alaskan in .480.  I'm not super keen on the size of it.  A little too short for my taste.  I think a large frame with a 4" barrel like the standard Redhawk would suit me better.
View Quote

I agree, I do love my 3" GP100's but my preference for a .44 magnum is 4" too.  I've got my 4" .44 mag so now I just need a 4" or 5" GP100 to go with it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:38:36 PM EDT
[#40]

For a double action get a S&W 29 or 629, closely followed by a Ruger Super Redhawk.

For single action I really like my Super Blackhawk, it is an excellent choice unless you need a double action.
For single action though there is one best- Freedom Arms makes the best single action revolver period. They are better known for the 454 Casull and their revolver are incredible. They are pricy though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:45:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, that's a pack howitzer; if you don't kill the bear, you either scorch him with the fireball or give him a heart attack from the muzzle blast.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:38:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Well, that's a pack howitzer; if you don't kill the bear, you either scorch him with the fireball or give him a heart attack from the muzzle blast.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, yes, it really is. The thing is, this revolver weighs about 45 ounces, and that weight absorbs a lot of the recoil, making this a very comfortable gun to shoot with its gel-cushioned Hogue grips. Loaded with some .44 Special rounds, it's a pussycat.

You should think of the Super Redhawk as a big GP100 rather than an evolved Redhawk. As I mentioned earlier, the SRH is basically the same design as the GP100, sharing the same grip frame and innards (I know, I know; it's not the same frame. It couldn't be. It uses bigger boolits.). The SRH is a big improvement over the standard Redhawk with its separate hammer and trigger springs (just like the GP-100), whereas the Redhawk shares one spring between the trigger and the hammer, making it difficult to lighten the trigger without losing hammer tension as well.

But yeah, I love my .44 Magnum SRH Alaskan.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:01:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Don't forget the new redhawk. quarter inch more in barrel. http://www.ruger.com/products/redhawkDE/models.html
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:43:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I want one of these:

Super Redhawk Alaskan GP-44

http://bowenclassicarms.com/image/catalog/RD04GP.jpg  
View Quote

Bowen does nice work.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 12:02:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Have you considered 45 colt in the 4" Redhawk? It is as versatile as the 44 magnum and capable of handling more powerful loads.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 6:29:58 AM EDT
[#46]
I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk (accurate/reliable), a Dan Wesson (accurate and reliable) and S&W M29 (accurate/reliable).

Once you pick them up, handle them and dry fire them the M29 is head and shoulders above the other two for smoothness.  I mean smooth.  The difference is hard to believe, but you can feel it.  I haven't shot the M29 in years but when I get it out to inspect/wipe it down it puts a big smile on my face when I dry fire it a few times.  Smooth.  Smooth.  Smooth.  The only thing I didn't like about he M29 was the grooved target trigger.  After a few boxes of ammo it had removed some skin from my trigger finger.  I replaced it with a smooth trigger and no more issues.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 7:21:50 AM EDT
[#47]
I would say start out with the Ruger Super Blackhawk.   7 and 1/2 is the easiest to find used.   Since you handload, a 240/250 cast bullet at 1000 fps or less will make a good practice load.   I have owned a bunch of 44 Magnums since 1972.   Presently I have a 5 and 1/2 inch Super Blackhawk and it covers all my needs for a 44 Magnum.   This is as big as I want for a trail/backup gun for hunting. The SBH may need a little trigger work but you can put in a spring kit yourself.

I like the M29/629 but they are a bit pricey today.   The triggers do come better than the stock Rugers.   Recoil between the two can make a difference.   With the long grip SBH the recoil seems less than the DA S&W.   Some people say the opposite. The M29 makes a better combat gun if you might use it for defense.  If you can, rent before you buy.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:24:59 AM EDT
[#48]
I love my 5" Smith and Wesson 629 classic.  Great balance, heft, and look.  If you like single actions, look at a Ruger Bisley.  Very controllable, even with hot loads.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 10:07:35 AM EDT
[#49]
got a minty 29-2 and a ruger srh hunter.  Thats all the 44 my arthritic wrists can handle
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:51:51 AM EDT
[#50]
There is a 10" Ruger Super Blackhawk on Armslist for 450$ here. Kinda want th big long bastard.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top