Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2014 8:02:42 PM EDT
All,

I have never owned a revolver but would like to get into wheel guns.  I am considering trading my lever action 1895 for a Model 19-4.  The questions arise because the Smith is cerakoted flat black and has nice deep wood grips but seem to be lacking any obvious other markings.

Does this gun have value due to the finishing?  It isn't mine, obviously, and I don't want to share the owners pictures without permission.  I am super interested in the trade as a gun to keep; but I do like to trade and try new things out, so no guarantees it will stay in the stable.

The cerakote is beautiful and the owner has been very helpful to a wheel gun newb.  It is a 40+ yr old gun and has abit of side to side play in the cylinder at lockup.

Offering the question to the experts.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I love the 19-4.  That being said, I would only consider buying one that was blued or nickle plated.  Just my opinion.  I like the original finish on old wheel guns.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:19:57 PM EDT
[#2]
No collector value in the refinishing. Sounds like whoever had it done may have been trying to cover up some problems.  You should be able to hold out for a nicer example in the $4-500 range.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 9:00:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't do a trade for an 1895 simply because it's been cerakoted, no matter how nice it looks, there could be a good reason for refinishing it.

rust or bad pitting could be the reason.

As far as the play in the cylinder when locked up, that's nothing a tune up can't solve so you can add at least another $50 it will cost you.

Keep looking they are great handguns, I was lucky to get a 19-4 years ago when the PD local to where I was, transitioned to semi-auto's.

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 11:23:52 PM EDT
[#4]
If the 1895 is a real Marlin it is worth a good bit more than a refinished model 19 .
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 12:11:50 AM EDT
[#5]
i paid 500 shipped for this model 19 P+R  on broker.. all i did was ad grips (came with hogue rubbers, holster, speed loader). So my point is they are out there in much better condition than the revolver in question.

I would pass on this deal.. being refinished its strickly a shooter only.. worth $300-350 by my estimate.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:21:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I would be very cautious of a coated revolver. Lots of fairly tight tolerances on a revolver that could be all messed up if the coating was not done just right

I have seen plenty of coating jobs that looked and functioned quite poorly after a couple of years of medium use .

I love the 19 but I don't like coatings much .
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:25:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would be very cautious of a coated revolver. Lots of fairly tight tolerances on a revolver that could be all messed up if the coating was not done just right

I have seen plenty of coating jobs that looked and functioned quite poorly after a couple of years of medium use .

I love the 19 but I don't like coatings much .
View Quote

If your 1895 is a real North Haven gun just keep it. Even if you don't shoot it much it is still a good thing to keep. Tradeing it off will likely be something you will regret
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:35:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Blued and pristine with box and papers it might be about an even trade. Cerakoted, hell no.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:05:44 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd pass as well.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:55:55 PM EDT
[#10]
One more vote to pass on the trade. The 4" S&W model 19 is my favorite of the Smith revolvers.  I am also a Marlin fan, I have 5 including an 1895G.  I have no issue with you trading your Marlin but it is worth at least twice what the cerokoted M19 is.  If you are determined to trade hold out for a good one with an original finish.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:59:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks all!
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:05:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm also thinking the coating is covering up something.

Here's my 19-4

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:08:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top