Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2014 1:14:19 PM EDT
Would like to hear some feedback on which speedloaders you like for CC with your J Frames.
Bianchi Speed Strips
Safariland COMP I
Safariland COMP II
HKS
I have been using HKS for over 20 years in my K Frames.  Not much experience with the Safariland speed loaders.
FWIW, these are for my daughter's model 60 Chief's Special
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 1:39:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Is concealment of the loader a priority?  Buffer Tech imports the amazing JetLoader for the 5 shot J-Frame / SP101.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 1:41:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I use Bianchi Speed Strips because they're flat and easy to conceal, but I'm moving toward a set of Comp I speedloaders for the push-button cartridge release feature. I don't care for the twisty-knob release on the HKS loaders. The Safariland solution seems a lot more intuitive.

Link Posted: 8/13/2014 2:57:26 PM EDT
[#3]
concealment.  
Going to have her try a COMP I tonight....it was in the mag drawer ... form a Taurs snubby I used to own.
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is concealment of the loader a priority?  Buffer Tech imports the amazing JetLoader for the 5 shot J-Frame / SP101.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/13/2014 3:03:37 PM EDT
[#4]
For speed loaders I prefer the HKS model for my J frame all do to the fact they also make them for my CA Bulldog, K frames, N framed .41s/44s and J framed .22 WMR.  Only one movement to learn.  However, for carrying I usually have Bianchi speedstrips in the pocket for the flatness or a few TK full moon clips in .38 SPL for my Smith 442 Pro.

CD
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 5:10:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been using HKS for 30yrs. Last couple years I've been using Tuff Products 8rd speed strips also. I like them better than the Bianchi since carry with 5 in it making it fit my hand better for quicker reloads.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 5:31:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I like HKS for my Detective Special.  When I carry it I carry two in my right front  pocket.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 7:46:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Moonclips
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 8:14:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 9:34:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I prefer safariland for carry, but also use hks for some guns that safariland doesn't make loaders for.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 10:15:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've been using HKS for 30yrs. Last couple years I've been using Tuff Products 8rd speed strips also. I like them better than the Bianchi since carry with 5 in it making it fit my hand better for quicker reloads.
View Quote

This.

Except for the "30 years" part.  Most of my early carry was autoloaders, so only about 15 years on the speed strips/HKS issue.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 10:57:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been carrying the strips. A little slower, but if I wasn't trading size for convenience I probably would be carrying a full size instead of a snubby.

I have a few of the HKS that I keep in my bag for spares. Works fine as long as it's in some kind of case. Otherwise if it's loose in my bag or pocket, it's gonna dump. Just makes it harder to carry.

I never handled a comp 1. I have several comp 2 for my gp100. Same deal. They have to be carried in a case. Function for me is fine on both otherwise.

Strips go everywhere. Straight into my pants pocket for church or in a little discrete belt pouch for everywhere else.

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 8:00:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't carry my 642 but if I did I would use JetLoaders.  Mas Ayoob's favorite!

backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/2014/07/09/how-to-shoot-great-with-a-snub-nose-38/
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:02:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Speed strips and HKS Speedloaders
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 9:36:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Training with Michael de Bethencourt showed me what works and what doesn't in terms of speedloaders, especially with the horrible grips the factories supply on their guns. Most factory grips don't work well at all with speedloaders.

Every time you head to the line when training with Michael, you have loose rounds in your pocket, a loaded speed strip, and three speedloaders, an HKS, a Safariland Comp 1 and an SL Vatiant. In actual use (I carry K-Frames 98% of the time) with my particular grips, I find the Safariland to work best, followed by the SL Variant, and the HKS a very distant third.

Here is some good information on speedloaders from the King of the Snub Revolver himself. de Bethencourt Speedloader Video

Unless they changed recently, Safariland doesn't make the Comp 2 or 3 for the J-Frame, only the Comp 1. Personally, I would prefer the Safariland over the SL Variant, but as long as your speedloader of choice works with your grips, either will work very well. IMO, HKS sucks.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 9:40:26 PM EDT
[#15]
jetloaders !
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 8:55:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Hawgleg, thanks for the words.  For revolvers I carried K frames exclusively for years, with HKS speedloaders.  Nowadays my carry revolver is a WC GP100...when I carry a revolver.  I can no longer see the sights on a model 65....  Honeslty, mostly autos now (G19, S&W Body Guard, LCP...).  
This revolver is my daughters, she is carrying a Chief's Special for now....likes it best.  I think the test subjects will be Speed Strips, HKS, and Comp Is.  she can figure out what works for her.  Lots of good trainers around this area )Va Beach).  I have played around with a jet loader...too big.
Thanks again for all the input.

Quoted:
Training with Michael de Bethencourt showed me what works and what doesn't in terms of speedloaders, especially with the horrible grips the factories supply on their guns. Most factory grips don't work well at all with speedloaders.

Every time you head to the line when training with Michael, you have loose rounds in your pocket, a loaded speed strip, and three speedloaders, an HKS, a Safariland Comp 1 and an SL Vatiant. In actual use (I carry K-Frames 98% of the time) with my particular grips, I find the Safariland to work best, followed by the SL Variant, and the HKS a very distant third.

Here is some good information on speedloaders from the King of the Snub Revolver himself. de Bethencourt Speedloader Video

Unless they changed recently, Safariland doesn't make the Comp 2 or 3 for the J-Frame, only the Comp 1. Personally, I would prefer the Safariland over the SL Variant, but as long as your speedloader of choice works with your grips, either will work very well. IMO, HKS sucks.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 12:23:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 1:11:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I like HKS. They're light and simple.

The competition styles are marginally faster, but if a speed loader is going to fill a pocket, you may as well just carry another gun.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 1:36:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

The competition styles are marginally faster, but if a speed loader is going to fill a pocket, you may as well just carry another gun.
View Quote

I'm a fan of HKS loaders. I've tried the Safariland Comps and didn't like them. I have some old school Dade Screw Machine Products Speedloaders from the 70s.

They're okay but the HKS is still my favorite for speedloaders.

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 5:23:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree that a Safariland Comp 3 is way too big for carry. That's why I use Safariland Comp 1 or 2's. Both are lighter, smaller and faster than HKS.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 9:48:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I carry speed strips loaded with 4 rounds in them usually. I'll throw in an HKS loader occasionally.

When I carry my 442 I'm usually in dress clothes and any loader can drop into a sport coat pocket pretty easily.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 11:14:14 PM EDT
[#22]
I carry Speed Strips far more often than speedloaders, too. I never load 6-shot strips with 6 rounds, because trying to manipulate the Speedstrips using that pathetic little tab Bianchi gives you, especially under stress, is difficult. I always download by one round so I have something to hold on to.

I did find a solution to that problem, though. I now carry 8-shot Speedstrips loaded with 6 rounds. That way I have enough ammo for a full reload if necessary and I still have something to hold on to.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 12:17:55 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I carry Speed Strips far more often than speedloaders, too. I never load 6-shot strips with 6 rounds, because trying to manipulate the Speedstrips using that pathetic little tab Bianchi gives you, especially under stress, is difficult. I always download by one round so I have something to hold on to.

I did find a solution to that problem, though. I now carry 8-shot Speedstrips loaded with 6 rounds. That way I have enough ammo for a full reload if necessary and I still have something to hold on to.
View Quote
I load a six round speed strip like this for my j frames.

Makes it easier for me.

Link Posted: 8/16/2014 10:32:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-NnnNjZvDO9c/Tg3A4uePpoI/AAAAAAAAAx0/X2bsP0n6K_U/s1600/2011-06-29_06-39-36_734.jpg

Makes it easier for me.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-NnnNjZvDO9c/Tg3A4uePpoI/AAAAAAAAAx0/X2bsP0n6K_U/s1600/2011-06-29_06-39-36_734.jpg

Makes it easier for me.

If that works for you. I just leave the first spot next to the tab empty and hold it like a scalpel. de Bethencourt teaches a different method, but I've found the scalpel technique works best for me.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:03:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I have always just used HKS in general.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:49:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Speed strips or tuff strips the 8rd tuff are great you can load them all at one end to have a handle to hold or stagger them so you can almost grab  them like a brass knuckle to get them in 2 at a time and rip them off the strip
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:58:06 AM EDT
[#27]
I use the safariland comp 1 speed loaders daily. They are quick, reliable, and easy to carry in a pocket. They do not work with some factory wood grips, unless you modify them(Shave some wood off). I found the HKS loaders to be cumbersome and  much slower to use. Speed strips are super easy to carry, but the slowest option of the 3 I have tried.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:24:57 AM EDT
[#28]
i use these and i haven't had any issues with them.

http://www.5starfirearms.com/J2-357_38-Speed-Loader/productinfo/J235705000/
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:34:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Those look awesome.  Are they much heavier than the plastic ones (HKS / Comp I/II)?

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:50:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I like the fact that they fit the LCR, since Ruger wasn't smart enough to make the diameter of the chambers the same as existing .38 snubs. I see them as an improvement over the HKS, but I still don't like the fact that you put them in the chambers, then move your grip to the release knob.

For that reason I see the loaders, like my favorite the Safariland Comp 1, 2 and 3, where you simply insert and push. No moving of your grip or twisting required.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:02:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Those look awesome.  Are they much heavier than the plastic ones (HKS / Comp I/II)?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've never owned the HKS speedloaders so I don't know the weight difference but these things are very light.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:43:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Bianchi Speed strips loaded with 5 rounds.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:48:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I use the 8-shot Bianchis loaded with 6 rounds. That gives me something more to hold on to that's more than the pathetic little tab they supply from the factory.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:13:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Would like to hear some feedback on which speedloaders you like for CC with your J Frames.
Bianchi Speed Strips
Safariland COMP I
Safariland COMP II
HKS
I have been using HKS for over 20 years in my K Frames.  Not much experience with the Safariland speed loaders.
FWIW, these are for my daughter's model 60 Chief's Special
Thanks
View Quote

I prefer the HKS. Yes I have a safari loader for my Jframe ! sometimes I've had problems with it.  I bought it a long time ago so they might of revised  it??
I also use speed strip depending on what Im doing.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:20:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I know of a  crazy guy who use just loads  4rds !  

2 loads at each end.

He loads the  4rounds  pretty fast .

Of coarse these guys carry the Jframe as a BUG and have a service pistol or revolver..

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:24:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Here you go.... my current CCW set up

Current Off Duty Carry

Smith & Wesson Model 342 Airlite Ti

DeSantis Holster

Reload on Tuff Strip carried in Mixson Leathercraft Dump Pouch

Kershaw auto opener

Wallet

CCW

Keys

Dept. Creds

Streamlight Mircostream

Bulova Wrist Watch

Silver Bracelet

Samsung Galaxy S5

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:28:13 AM EDT
[#37]
The reload for my 442 is my 642 in the other pocket....
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:43:58 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

The reload for my 442 is my 642 in the other pocket....
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:10:59 PM EDT
[#39]
I've used the HKS for over a decade, and the Safariland Comp 1 for a year or so.  The Safariland is better in every way.  The only criticism I can come up with on the Safariland is it is more difficult to lock the rounds into the loader (still not hard though).  Brand new, the HKS grips the rounds fairly tightly, but after a very short time, the are flopping around, where the Comp 1 are super tight.  The Comp 1 is easier to use, smaller, and (unlike the HKS) you can have absolute confidence that the rounds will stay in the loader until you want to use them.

I daily carry a 638 with Hogue round butt bantam wood grips.  Both loaders work fine with this configuration. (old pic)

Pics of two Comp 1s with a HKS

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:17:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
For speed loaders I prefer the HKS model for my J frame all do to the fact they also make them for my CA Bulldog, K frames, N framed .41s/44s and J framed .22 WMR.  Only one movement to learn.  However, for carrying I usually have Bianchi speedstrips in the pocket for the flatness or a few TK full moon clips in .38 SPL for my Smith 442 Pro.

CD
View Quote
I own both S&W and Colt revolvers, I would go with HKS,

BTW for you folks who never used speed loaders, they will work fast for only a few loads, because as your cylinder gets dirty from firing, it will be slower and slower. The rounds won't freely drop in, you will have to push them in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top