Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2014 11:09:54 PM EDT
As the title says...I'm new to revolvers and picked this up on a whim.  While browsing at one of my local pawn shops, I saw this in the display window with a price tag of $400.  I thought what the hell not and forked over some saw bucks.

Can anyone tell me more about it?  So far, all that I know is that's its chambered in .45 acp and is stamped "Model of 1989"

Did I do pretty good on the price or did I get ripped off?  Anything to look out for or change in the future as far as maintenance goes? Any recommended upgrades?  

Thanks for y'alls time.

-Sig

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:32:41 PM EDT
[#1]
If it is in decent shape that's a very good price.

Choot it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:38:34 PM EDT
[#2]
FPNI
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:55:52 AM EDT
[#3]
You'll need moon clips

Excellent revolver

I used to deer hunt with one

Traded it off and sorry I did

Did it come with any full moon clips?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:08:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You'll need moon clips

Excellent revolver

View Quote

No it did not.  Just the firearm by itself.  Looks like I'll have to invest in them.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:20:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Steel full-moon clips are about a buck a piece, not expensive.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/45-ACP-Full-Moon-Clip-12-Pack-/230801654591

At $400 you did very well.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:49:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Pictures aren't loading...hhhhmmmmm
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:37:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Order the moon clips, but meanwhile, don't hesitate to shoot it without.  Should be a very accurate revolver - the one I had was frighteningly so.

Enjoy!

Ray
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:00:56 AM EDT
[#8]
You did good. 45 acp guns are fun as he'll. My first revolver was a Colt model 1917 Army chambered in 45 acp. Just get a bunch of moon clips and a demooner.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:35:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I buy my full moon clips from Old Sarge's Drop Zone for about $30 per 100... that figures out to about .30 each, not counting shipping.  There are plenty of expensive moon clips out there.  Don't get burned.  I have this model of the 625 and love it.  I also bought the PC model and it's great, too.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:51:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Moon clips are very cool, but also a PITA to load and unload, unless you have a tool. Lots of tools out there, but this one is the best, but expensive.

http://www.bmtequipped.com/products.php

Plastic moon clips are easy to work with and don't require tools, but they don't hold the ammo as securely as steel clips.

http://www.ezmoonclip.com
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:31:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No it did not.  Just the firearm by itself.  Looks like I'll have to invest in them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You'll need moon clips

Excellent revolver

I'll make you a deal.

email me your address, and I'll send you some WILSON COMBAT full moon clips...FREE

but if you ever decide to sell that 625, give me a shot at it

how's that sound?

I sold mine a wish I still had it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:09:14 AM EDT
[#12]
400!  you stole it man!  great price.

I have the 3" version and it a great shooter and one of my favs.

Install Ahrends retro combat grips will make this an even better shooting and looking revolver.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:28:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:29:59 AM EDT
[#14]
$400 for a 625?

I'll give ya $425
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:59:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Unless it has issues that is a great price. Congrats!
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#16]
you did well. In my neighborhood that's a $550 revolver if it's clean. Did you get the original box & papers etc? You'll enjoy shooting it.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:43:51 PM EDT
[#17]
very nice price  -- great score OP
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 2:03:31 PM EDT
[#18]
No pics of the $400 625 yet?  hmmmmmmmmm
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:53:10 PM EDT
[#19]
any prelock smith under 500 is a good deal.   the 625 in 45acp is a high demand competition style gun. it is an N frame

get it cut for moon clips if it is not already.  get at least 10 moon clips.   look here first

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-revolvers-1980-present/177180-625-model-1989-a.html
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:39:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Alrighty, the original photo that was posted was not up to my quality standards, so I had it removed.  The new photo that was just uploaded will show you how excellent the condition is.  

I just ordered 100 moon clips, now I need to find a good grip, holster, and upgrade the sights.  Does anyone have recommendation's for any of those items?  The sights more so, as they're all blacked out.

-Sig
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:40:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Locoweed - Thanks for the lead on this, I went ahead and placed an order with them
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:41:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Derek45 - I appreciate the offer, but I think I'd have a hard time letting this one go.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:49:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Install Ahrends retro combat grips will make this an even better shooting and looking revolver.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm going to take a look into these grips, thank you.

Quoted:
$400 for a 625?

I'll give ya $425

How about tree fiddy?

Quoted:
Unless it has issues that is a great price. Congrats!

No issues whatsoever, thanks!

Quoted:
you did well. In my neighborhood that's a $550 revolver if it's clean. Did you get the original box & papers etc? You'll enjoy shooting it.

http://www.scubawatch.org/sitebuilder/images/DSCF5501-600x428.jpg

No box, no papers.  Beautiful toys you have there!

Quoted:
No pics of the $400 625 yet?  hmmmmmmmmm

It's finally up you heathen
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:41:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:25:02 PM EDT
[#25]
You made a great purchase. The 625 is a very accurate revolver and normally has an exceptional single action trigger pull. You will enjoy shooting it. If you ever get into reloading, you can use Auto Rim cases that eliminate the need for moon clips.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:56:31 PM EDT
[#26]
years ago,  I emailed S&W asking if I could shoot 45SUPER thru it.

I expected a BS lawyer answer,  but instead the reply was something like

" yes, it's an N-frame as strong as a 44mag 629"

I loaded up 230gr SPEER Gold-dot HP's to about 1200fps and killed a shit load of big midwestern deer with it

I later traded it for a 629 and kick myself for it

I LOVED my 625
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:38:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Get the moon clips but also be on the lookout for .45 Auto Rim.

I don't think they're currently manufactured but I found some once at yard sale for $7.00 a box.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:11:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I don't think they're currently manufactured but I found some once at yard sale for $7.00 a box.
View Quote

Starline makes new Auto-rim brass.  Like most of the lower demand stuff they make one batch run a year.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 4:52:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
FPNI
View Quote

Jesus, what a steal. You done good, getcha some moon clips, if you get the full moon clips get a clip loader (piece of bent steel, cheap as hell, but indispensable) and start shooting!
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:59:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Get the moon clips but also be on the lookout for .45 Auto Rim.

View Quote

I got some auto rim on sale from Midway a few years ago and my Smith seems to enjoy them .
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 8:21:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Remington also makes 45 Auto Rim brass in limited runs.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 7:20:46 PM EDT
[#32]
First up if it's in as good a shape as the picture appears the OP is a lousy thief!  Congrats.  That gun is probably worth $700-$800.  Would have been worth even more before USPSA change the revolver rules.  A 5 inch 625 was king of USPSA revolver division, is no longer in production, and thus was highly sought after.  The 627/929 has taken over with a rule change earlier this year.

Next buy moonclips.  Don't mess with that Auto-Rim shit, not worth the hassle.  Look up a place online called Ranch Products.  Last time I order moonclips for my 625 I got 100 moonclips for $35.  You can spend more if you like, TK Custom charges as much as $1.95 each (more for other revolvers) but for the 625 Ranch Products moonclips work just fine and are dirt cheap.

Then get a good holster and some moonclip holders and shoot some USPSA matches with it.  Nothing like beating the bottom feeders with a round gun.

http://youtu.be/skx_aC7GOtc?list=UU_EatTJP6angboca0tKu-AQ
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 10:19:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Jesus, what a steal. You done good, getcha some moon clips, if you get the full moon clips get a clip loader (piece of bent steel, cheap as hell, but indispensable) and start shooting!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FPNI

I ordered the tool after I ordered some moon clips.  I don't know how people unload them without it and don't want to know lol.

I took the revolver out shooting today and it's absolutely insane how awesome it is.  I'm starting to think that maybe this firearm has had some trigger work done.  It has a very clean break & the single action pull is amazing.  

Quoted:
First up if it's in as good a shape as the picture appears the OP is a lousy thief!  Congrats.  That gun is probably worth $700-$800.  Would have been worth even more before USPSA change the revolver rules.  A 5 inch 625 was king of USPSA revolver division, is no longer in production, and thus was highly sought after.  The 627/929 has taken over with a rule change earlier this year.

Next buy moonclips.  Don't mess with that Auto-Rim shit, not worth the hassle.  Look up a place online called Ranch Products.  Last time I order moonclips for my 625 I got 100 moonclips for $35.  You can spend more if you like, TK Custom charges as much as $1.95 each (more for other revolvers) but for the 625 Ranch Products moonclips work just fine and are dirt cheap.

Then get a good holster and some moonclip holders and shoot some USPSA matches with it.  Nothing like beating the bottom feeders with a round gun.

Can you recommend a good holster?  I stopped by my local gun store and found a used Kramer (spelling?) holster.  It's has great retention but it's a little tight for my taste.

How about sights?  I still need some decent ones.  I know its cliche but I want night sights.

And as far as competition goes, I was wanting to use this in IDPA but they said no because of the 5 " barrel!?  What can I compete in with this thing?

Thanks y'all

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 11:22:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I ordered the tool after I ordered some moon clips.  I don't know how people unload them without it and don't want to know lol.

I took the revolver out shooting today and it's absolutely insane how awesome it is.  I'm starting to think that maybe this firearm has had some trigger work done.  It has a very clean break & the single action pull is amazing.  

Can you recommend a good holster?  I stopped by my local gun store and found a used Kramer (spelling?) holster.  It's has great retention but it's a little tight for my taste.

How about sights?  I still need some decent ones.  I know its cliche but I want night sights.

And as far as competition goes, I was wanting to use this in IDPA but they said no because of the 5 " barrel!?  What can I compete in with this thing?

Thanks y'all
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
FPNI

Quoted:

Thanks y'all

Kramer horsehide's are my favorite holster.  I wear one every day.  Look up the prices on 'em.  

The "tightness" is intentional.  No thumb strap is a plus in my book.  Cinch on a good gun belt and try that holster!

Was it this one?   http://www.kramerleather.com/productDetail.cfm?productID=10&categoryID=24&make=SMITH%20%26%20WESSON&model=625%20%203
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 11:51:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Great buy on a nice Smith
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 1:23:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Was this a pawn shop back in 1998?   Any pawn shop in Phoenix would have it priced for $800 and it would have looked like it was repeatedly kicked down a driveway...

Other than a common Model 10 or 36, I didn't think pre-lock guns in good shape could be had for less than $500 these days.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 2:43:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

We have "Thumbs of Steel".

No 625 or 25 here, I have it's older brother the M1917.

Which tool did you get?

Link Posted: 8/5/2014 10:09:34 AM EDT
[#38]
I have one.
It's an excellent revolver and you stole it at $400.
Accurate, and best, it's pretty easy to shoot it accurately....I can shoot mine better than any of my other handguns.
It's a beauty.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 10:10:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Thanks y'all

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
FPNI

Quoted:

Thanks y'all

Holsters, around the farm I carry my N-frames in a nice but inexpensive Tagua belt holsters similar to a pancake design.  Keeps it tight and high and comfortable.  Not the fastest on the draw thought.  I am tempted to get a Guide's Choice chest harness from Diamond D Custom Leather.

For competition I have used a Bianchi Cup holster in the past.  Here is my 625 5" in a Bianchi Cup Holster with a older style North Mountain moonclip holder.

The Bianchi Cup Holster is not legal in Production division so I switch holsters last year to a Blade Tech.  At local Club matches I shoot my 6-shot revolver in Revolver division and my 8-shot revolver in Production.  Gave me a lot more revolver trigger time getting ready for USPSA Nationals.

My current setup,  Blade Tech holster with a new style North Mountain moonclip holder.

As for the OP's revolver, yeah not legal in IDPA.  I wonder how much Ruger gave IDPA to change the rules?  A few years ago a 5 inch barrels were legal in IDPA.  It has sense been change to 4.2 inch barrels are maximum length.  It just happens the GP-100 comes in 4.2 inch barrels.  While the 625 is currently only being produced with a 4 inch barrel.

The 625 5" barrel is great for USPSA unfortunately it is no longer King since the rule change early this year.  Revolver used to be 6-shot only.  Now you can use 7 and 8 shot revolvers in Revolver division.  6 Shots can bee scored Major or Minor depending on the power factor of your ammunition.  if you shoot a 7 or 8 -hot revolver it is always scored Minor.  Despite being scored Minor the 8-shot revolvers like the 627 and 929 are now dominating USPSA Revolver division.

ICORE and Steel Challenge are also places that revolver will play nice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top