Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2014 5:57:16 AM EDT
I just bought a S&W 986 which I need to buy some moon clips for. I'm looking to get them from TK Custom and they're offer them in either stainless steel or blued steel. Considering the pistol needs moon clips to run, is there any reason to choose the SS over the blued version? The SS ones are twice the price of the blued ones so I don't want to buy more than I need.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 6:57:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I have never tried the SS clips for my 625. I bought 50 blued ones right out of the gate and have never had an issue.

I know moon clips get bent and are then problematic to straighten or use again. Perhaps the SS is more durable and less likely to get bent or damaged in hard use.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:05:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I can see how the SS clips would be slightly stiffer than plain blued steel versions. I can also foresee who that might make loading them a bit more difficult but I'm planning on using a BMT Moon Clip tool to load and unload them.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:28:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I have never seen a point to SS moon clips.

Mine are all blued. (some might even be parked)
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 5:25:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Between the replies here and my research I don't see a reason to get SS over blued. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 7:00:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I've seen a lot of moon and half moon clips rusted, but if you take care of your equipment, I don't think the rust should be much of an issue.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 7:51:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've seen a lot of moon and half moon clips rusted, but if you take care of your equipment, I don't think the rust should be much of an issue.
View Quote
Yeah, I'm not worried about that. A little lube goes a long way. :)

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 5:35:25 PM EDT
[#7]
The plastic Rimz clips work fine for me.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 5:57:24 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The plastic Rimz clips work fine for me.
View Quote
Those look intriguing but for me they aren't right. First, since these are for a 9mm it needs moon clips to run and metal moon clips are the standard. Second, they're just not cheaper enough (compared to metal ones) to make me want to switch. Lastly they don't offer exactly what I need (986 7 shot).

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:07:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Maintenance is fairly cheap; I would buy twice as many blued ones.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:51:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Maintenance is fairly cheap; I would buy twice as many blued ones.
View Quote
That's what I'm doing. Bought 30 clips to start with.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top