Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2014 8:10:21 PM EDT
Do you guys think a top break would make a great 1st revolver?

Main purpose will be a fun range toy.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:19:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Well at first I was thinking you meant 1st revolver as in something for self defense or something like that. But then I saw "range toy" There are some nice Schofield repros out there.

If it were me I would get the 7" 45 which is the closest you can get to the army model. I bought a 7.5" custer cavlary model 1873 from them a few years back.

Check it out
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:45:57 PM EDT
[#2]
One of my favorite toys is an old H&R 9 shot top break .22.  

DOOOO it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:54:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

DOOOO it.
View Quote

I've got one of these too and couldn't agree more. It is a fun way to waste some time in the woods.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 9:02:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I really like the sound of a top break .22LR, but open to centerfire as well.

Please suggest something good, and I am willing to spend a maximum of $1k but would love to keep it at $600.

thanks
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 9:03:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Well at first I was thinking you meant 1st revolver as in something for self defense or something like that. But then I saw "range toy" There are some nice Schofield repros out there.

If it were me I would get the 7" 45 which is the closest you can get to the army model. I bought a 7.5" custer cavlary model 1873 from them a few years back.

Check it out
View Quote
Looks very nice.

What other caliber options are out there?
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 9:29:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

DOOOO it.
View Quote

This! I have a 6in but want to get the 4in. The newest bug Iv been bitten by is getting a Schofield.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 9:55:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Looks very nice.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check it out
Looks very nice.  

38 spl, 44-40 ie 44WCF and 44 russian
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 9:58:16 PM EDT
[#8]
If it were me I would get the 45 colt. 45 colt ammo is going for $32 per 50 for Fiocchi stuff right now. The 38 might be cheaper to shoot but if you get the 45 you will never regret getting a true man stopper. If you reload then 45 colt would be my 1st choice. I reload for both 45 colt and 38 spl and I would never buy the 38 when the 45 is an option. Also when it comes to Uberti / cimmaron guns the fit and finish it aboslutely top notch.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:24:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Why are you so insistent on a top break? There are lots more options if you are willing to include a swing out DA.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 3:18:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Why are you so insistent on a top break? There are lots more options if you are willing to include a swing out DA.
View Quote
Its an old design that I think is neat.

Also looking at single action only and DA/SA .22lrs.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 4:05:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Sure why not I like mine
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 7:33:44 AM EDT
[#12]
My question is which companies still service their top break revolvers?

But if you want a Top Break you need a Webley Mk VI

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 7:52:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Get a S&W K frame .357 4" for your first revolver.

It will have a butter smooth action and load it with .38 Special wadcutter rounds for very long life and excellent accuracy.

I have a Webley .455 that I enjoy a great deal but they are expensive to feed and acquire.  It has heavy trigger pulls in both single and double action.

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 9:15:10 AM EDT
[#14]
One word:

yes!

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 1:20:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Check it out
View Quote

Wow, prices have really gone up on those. I have one in 45LC with the 3" barrel. There is just something about top breaks.

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:40:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Very nice!

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 1:59:41 PM EDT
[#17]
A Schofield in .45 Colt is just pure fun and awesomeness in one package.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top