Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2014 2:47:29 PM EDT
As my namesake implies, I have always been a fan of the 9mm cartridge. The S&W Model 547 has intrigued me for many years, and I am lucky enough that one of my family members owns two of them in his collection, both 3"and a 4" versions. The gun pictured was graciously loaned to me for the purpose of this review. I have invested a lot of production time in creating a Video Review of this fine revolver. If you can spare 8 minutes, please be sure to watch it! As revolver aficionados, I'm sure you can appreciate taking a look inside this odd specimen.

CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE SMITH AND WESSON MODEL 547 VIDEO REVIEW!

I believe that the 547 K-frame is a very misunderstood revolver. It often gets slammed as being pointless or useless, when in fact it posts higher velocities and greater energy than comparable .38 Special Loads (citation). Discussions of the 547 often pit it against .357 Magnum revolvers, which of course it cannot supplant. It is much more fair to say that the 9mm sits firmly placed in between the .38+P and the real Magnum loads.

The ejection system is genius. I made no attempt at disassembly of this mechanism, as the firearm in question was a loaner. Without a doubt, it is more complicated than your traditional ejector star for rimmed cartridges.

Sadly, the concept of a 9mm revolver never seem to take hold. People say they would buy one, but when a company steps up to produce them, they languish in the glass cases of dealers until fading away into obscurity once again.

Unfortunately, if you want to buy one of these right now, you will need to bring Performance Center cash to the negotiating table.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 3:00:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I had one with a round butt and a 3 inch barrel. I regret selling it. However the reason I sold it was because it did not like the issue +P+ ammo I had to carry in it. So you may wonder the ammo problem with +P+... after opening the cylinder first the primers fell out, and then the brass.

But then it was not designed to work with +P+ ammo.  I still miss that gun!

My duty gun was a Glock 19 and I carried the 547 in an ankle holster for a backup.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 3:56:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So you may wonder the ammo problem with +P+... after opening the cylinder first the primers fell out, and then the brass.

View Quote

That's very interesting, thanks for sharing! I guess in a traditional 9mm suto-loader, the breech face would prevent the primers from popping out of their pocket, but perhaps the 547 (pushing the casing forward upon firing) has enough room to let them get dislodged?

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:08:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I passed on a broken one at a gunshow . I regret it still
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 6:19:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a NIB 4" version many years ago and sometimes regret selling it. The only issue I had was trying to extract some Wolf steel cased ammo after firing a cylinder through it. That was the first and last time I tried that and became a little nervous when I saw the extractors bend a little more than usual while trying to extract the empties. Great review!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top