Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/10/2011 12:32:54 PM EDT
care to enlighten me about these?  local pawn shop has a model 28-2 with a 4" barrel in .357 mag.  finish looks really good, so do the wood grips.  there's no flame cutting above the cylinder gap.  the cylinder doesn't have excessive movement, as far as i can tell.  it also has the wide target trigger.  

they want $500 out the door.  is this a good price?  should i hold out for that 6" 586 i've been looking for, or should i fly back to the pawn shop and buy it?
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 1:02:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Own  two Mod 28 - a 4" five screw and a 28-2 6"..both have .400 wide case colored hammers- triggers are also case colored.

Both mine had minor wear muzzle wear[working guns] when purchased and I've shot a lot but no longer carry.

If looks NIB could be refinished  ..28's have a flat blue finish. A local gun shop guy was telling me the refinished 28 he had for sale was a NEW gun..it'd been refinished and action was rough.

$500 would be a little sporty for me but then I've owned both of mine for a while - the 28-2 since 1977. I  paid $95 from my barber whose BIL took as partial payments for legal fees- was assured it was not a murder weapon. As I recall paid $325 for the five screw in the early '90's.

I like old Smiths and N frames. I gave away a 686 shorty and seldom shoot my 6"....L frames were a cure for some minor K frame .357 woes..I shoot and carry several Mod 66 3"..probably just because I
got started on them and still shoot them fairly well.
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 1:07:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I would much rather have a 4 inch 28 than any 686, but that's just personal preference.

Smith & Wesson made the original 357 Magnum, which is now called the "Registered Magnum". This model later became the model 27.

The Model 28 is the "no frills" version of the Model 27. The Model 28 differs in having a matte blue finish, and lacks checkering on top of the frame and barrel rib of the Model 27.

$500 is about right for an excellent condition model 28.  The 4 inch guns bring a little bit of a premium price over the 6 inchers.

Link Posted: 10/10/2011 1:16:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I would much rather have a 4 inch 28 than any 686, but that's just personal preference.

Smith & Wesson made the original 357 Magnum, which is now called the "Registered Magnum". This model later became the model 27.

The Model 28 is the "no frills" version of the Model 27. The Model 28 differs in having a matte blue finish, and lacks checkering on top of the frame and barrel rib of the Model 27.

$500 is about right for an excellent condition model 28.  The 4 inch guns bring a little bit of a premium price over the 6 inchers.

The main difference between the 27 and the 28's were cosmetic. The 27 had a checkered top strap and barrel rib and a high polish blue. I have both a L frame 586 and  a 27&28 N frame. The extra heft of the N frame helps on recoil with heavy loads.

Link Posted: 10/10/2011 2:51:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been looking for a 4" 28-2. If you decide not to buy PM me the location. If it's not too far I'll go pick it up.
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 4:13:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've been looking for a 4" 28-2. If you decide not to buy PM me the location. If it's not too far I'll go pick it up.

sorry man, i ended up buying it.  

i have a couple of questions:

1. the cylinder moves more than i thought it did at the shop.  when i hold down the trigger and move it, its not so bad.  but when the hammer is down and the trigger is in its normal place, it moves a noticeably more.  

2. i can hear something sliding around inside the pistol when i move it front to back.  i tried taking the side plate off, but it wouldn't budge and i have a limited set of tools here so i decided not to press things further.

i'd like to find out what's moving around inside before i shoot it.  as far as i can tell, everything functions normally.  the trigger pull, both double action and single action, is wonderful.
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 4:23:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/newaccordguy/HPIM1178.jpg

1. the cylinder moves more than i thought it did at the shop.  when i hold down the trigger and move it, its not so bad.  but when the hammer is down and the trigger is in its normal place, it moves a noticeably more.  

2. i can hear something sliding around inside the pistol when i move it front to back.  i tried taking the side plate off, but it wouldn't budge and i have a limited set of tools here so i decided not to press things further.

i'd like to find out what's moving around inside before i shoot it.  as far as i can tell, everything functions normally.  the trigger pull, both double action and single action, is wonderful.
I little cylinder wiggle is fine when the hammer is not all the way back and the cylinder locked. The shaking you hear in the hammer bar safety inside, It blocks the hammer from hitting the firing pin if the trigger is not held back. DO NOT EVER pry to remove the side plate. Instead after you have removed the side plate screws, grasp the pistol and lightly put your thumb on the side plate. Take a plastic mallet or old screw driver handle and lightly rap on the grip frame, the repeated vibrations will shake the plate loose for easy removal.

Link Posted: 10/10/2011 5:06:29 PM EDT
[#7]
p08, the firing pin is on the hammer of Mod 28's. There is no transfer bar system..hammer to bar to pin.

No gunsmith here but can't imagine what would/should be rattlin'.

Good advise on sideplate removal..lot of screws, plates buggered by unnecessary removal.

The Goncalo Alves grips were not standard on mod 28.

This revolver may have been refreshed..bluing looks different than my "old" 28's but that is just an observation and is  neither good nor bad.
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 5:16:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

p08, the firing pin is on the hammer of Mod 28's. There is no transfer bar system..hammer to bar to pin.

No gunsmith here but can't imagine what would/should be rattlin'.

Good advise on sideplate removal..lot of screws, plates buggered by unnecessary removal.

The Goncalo Alves grips were not standard on mod 28.

This revolver may have been refreshed..bluing looks different than my "old" 28's but that is just an observation and is  neither good nor bad.
It matters not if the gun has a hammer nose or not, there is still an internal hammer block. It's part 7033.

Link Posted: 10/10/2011 9:59:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/newaccordguy/HPIM1178.jpg

That is one nice looking revolver. I love N frames.
pat
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 11:06:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 2:53:57 AM EDT
[#11]
p08, SORREEE..you are, of course, right on the hammer block. I just visualized the firing pin on the hammer nose and translated that into there is NO TRANSFER BAR system on that revolver. Appreciate you keeping me straight until next time.

Link Posted: 10/11/2011 2:54:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice weapon and a reasonable price.  Yes, the slight rattle is the transfer bar.  You will not regret getting the 28 over an L-frame.  Much better weapon.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 3:57:35 AM EDT
[#13]
I love both my model 28s.  Enjoy that gun.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 10:03:26 AM EDT
[#14]
I got lucky and stumbled into a 28-2 4" that somebody hard chromed. Love that gun.  Now that it wear some extended Spegel's it's my favorite Smith.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 10:07:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Picture Test

Couple of old 28's

Hey, I had to post my first picture somewhere and know there is love here for 28's.

Link Posted: 10/11/2011 10:42:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Since we're posting our M28 pics ...

And a 5 inch M27
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 10:58:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Ok so I'll post pics of mine as well then!

28-3

28-2 recently sold this one NIB

and the 27-2

Link Posted: 10/11/2011 2:07:35 PM EDT
[#18]
thanks for all of the responses and pictures guys.  i'm swamped this week, so next week i'm going to try to get the side plate off to see what is rattling around and to oil it.  then i'll take it out and shoot it.  

any recommendations for loads or holsters would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 2:11:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

thanks for all of the responses and pictures guys.  i'm swamped this week, so next week i'm going to try to get the side plate off to see what is rattling around and to oil it.  then i'll take it out and shoot it.  

Unless you put grease or heavy oil in the hammer safety it will still rattle. It's normal for it anyway I wouldn't worry yourself about it.

Link Posted: 10/11/2011 6:53:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Congrats on the new revolver. Forget about the rattle and shoot the thing.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 8:06:38 PM EDT
[#21]

I'll play too.  Here is my contribution:

In revolver form - there is nothing more sexier than a 4" N-frame.

Picked it up at a local gun shop about 3 years ago for approx. $350.  A little honest wear on the muzzle with turn lines on the cylinder.  But damn...she sure does lock up tight - bank vault tight.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2011 12:02:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Near new, will less than a 100 rounds fired through it when I bought it a year ago. The original grips are gone and it came with the grips in the picture.
It is a 1975 manufacture. It is very accurate.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 5:35:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Very nice looking 28 Congrats. I too would rather have it than the L frame.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 7:17:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Sweet!
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 10:13:32 PM EDT
[#25]
threads like these make me want to go shoot one of my two 28-2's and buy a Model 27
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 10:19:18 PM EDT
[#26]
I need a 27 to go with my 25-13 Mountain Gun, I think.

I love N frames.
Link Posted: 10/14/2011 10:48:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless you put grease or heavy oil in the hammer safety it will still rattle. It's normal for it anyway I wouldn't worry yourself about it.

Listen to Po8 YOUR  Reg Magnum,Mod 27,mod 28  will rattle when rocked front to back ,same as your 1911 will r ock when shaken from east to west !  

It's part of rhe package!

Bob
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 5:06:37 PM EDT
[#28]

Here's mine, a 1966-67 S-prefix 28-2. Mine's been refinished but is a good shooter. It now wears the smaller magna grips instead of the bigger target grips. The target trigger and hammer are also gone, replaced by the stock parts.
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 5:49:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Congrats on picking up your classic Smith! Mine's vintage 1963:

Link Posted: 11/2/2011 6:03:11 PM EDT
[#30]
as usual, arfcom was right.  the rattle i was hearing was the hammer block saftey lever thing-a-ma-jig.  i mean, its not that i doubted anybody....

i'm glad i did have it opened up though.  one of my dad's friends took it apart for me and showed me how to do it.  it was a good experience.  we noticed that this pistol has had a trigger job, and a pretty shitty one at that.  once i shoot it, if its too bad i'll take the necessary steps to fix it.  now if i could just find a decent leather holster.  

Link Posted: 11/2/2011 8:31:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
... now if i could just find a decent leather holster.  

Check out Lobo, good leather at reasonable prices. He's also on the S-W Forum. Maybe a classic Threepersons would suit you.

Oh, and you did good on your HP. They used to be cheap(er), guns, but people have been finding out what nice shooters they are, so prices have been going up. That, and they aren't making any more.

My one and only:

Your going to like the way your gun shoots, I am sure. Mines like a laser
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 6:06:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Just picked up this 28-2 with matching SN box a week ago.
Question, thinking about some wider wood target grips for it, is it a square butt or round butt?

Link Posted: 11/7/2011 6:33:44 AM EDT
[#33]
drobs, 28-2 is a sq butt.
Nice hogleg
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 6:35:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
drobs, 28-2 is a sq butt.
Nice hogleg

Thank you Sir!
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 7:00:35 AM EDT
[#35]
I took new pics of my N frame 357's last night

28-2 4 inch by Gemini Customs
27-2 5 inch tuned by Alex Hamilton
28-2 6 inch
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 7:04:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Nice collection, looks like some slick shooter there Warhawk
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 2:25:33 PM EDT
[#37]
way too many nice pistols in this thread.  i still haven't shot mine yet, but come hell or high water i WILL shoot is this week.
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 4:20:46 PM EDT
[#38]
I have a 70s vintage 4" with less than 100 rounds through it.  I put it back in its box, and will give it to my son.  Only two N-frames in my possession:  this is inexcusable!  Must buy another and shoot the life out of it.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#39]
I have a 6" 5 screw pre mod Hwy. Ptl. in excellent condition and a 28-2 4" that is apart right now for some work.    I'll be shooting light load 357s if or when I get back to shooting at all.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 6:24:57 AM EDT
[#40]
My first job as a LEO was on the sheriff dept. I was issued a model 28 it had a 4" bbl., it was a GREAT revolver a little heavy though, a couple of years later we were issued 686's, I liked those as well. We were offered the opportunity to purchase our model 28's for a cheap price, I screwed up and did't purchase mine, big mistake by me.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 6:38:20 AM EDT
[#41]
I cant believe with all these responses nobody had told you:

DO NOT MESS AROUND WITH THE SIDE PLATE, IT WILL BE A MASSIVE FAIL!!

It probably does NOT need a trigger job, and you don't know how to properly perform one judging from your own comments.
Your curiosity is not a substitute for solid gunsmithing skills. You will gain nothing from removing that plate, you can improve nothing in there. Nothing under there requires 'maintenance' such as oiling or anything else. You will only succeed in boogering up the screw heads and mating surfaces of the plate, losing springs, etc.

It looks like a mighty fine revolver, in great shape. I love my 28-2!   Here it is dirty from shooting:

They are the best and finest example of the rugged working-man's wheel gun in my opinion. You'll know if the finish is original if you look at at the gun and see that the front area of the trigger guard on up to the bottom of the barrel are a matte black flat finish, while the flats/side of the gun are a standard dark matte blue.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 9:58:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

-snip-

I'll grant you it isn't a place for a 12 year old's first adventure with a dollar store screwdriver, but there isn't any magic required to remove S&W side plates.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 10:40:53 AM EDT
[#43]
If we're doing pictures, here's my 3 28s:  (I also have a 5 inch 27 that I don't have a stand alone picture of.)

Link Posted: 12/5/2011 5:32:32 AM EDT
[#44]
I just picked up a 28-2 s prefix serial num 66 manufacture date.Has a 6 in barrel.I had a GP100 blued on layaway saw the 28 changed my mind!It is in mint condition no wear at all.I had a friend who carried the 28  check her out.He said  wow never been refinished  all original!Now I want a 4 in and a 27 5 in.I shot the pistol tuesday very accurate.The weight absorbs a lot of the recoil.
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 8:40:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Nice collection, looks like some slick shooter there Warhawk

Thanks, I still want to get a 3 1/2 inch model 27.

Link Posted: 12/5/2011 1:17:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

-snip-

I'll grant you it isn't a place for a 12 year old's first adventure with a dollar store screwdriver, but there isn't any magic required to remove S&W side plates.

Amen !!!  tThere is alot I can do under that plate!

Link Posted: 12/5/2011 1:29:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-snip-

Aww, go back and play with your Colts. Leave us S&W guys alone.

Link Posted: 12/6/2011 6:47:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-snip-

Aww, go back and play with your Colts. Leave us S&W guys alone.
Good morning Dan, I have more S&W than Colts LOL!!!

Link Posted: 12/6/2011 9:39:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Good morning Dan, I have more S&W than Colts LOL!!!

I know you do. Just had to give you a hard time.
You've got as many or more S&Ws than I do I'm sure.

Link Posted: 12/6/2011 9:42:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top