Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2011 6:06:16 AM EDT
I will be looking at a US Army 1917 45acp for, $450 firm.

The guy knows its unaltered value, this one has been refinished in nickel.

Said to be tight and shoot right.

He says he does not know the year of Manufacture.

Is there anything I should be aware of or to look out for?

thanks ARFCOMers
Link Posted: 8/17/2011 6:17:42 AM EDT
[#1]
These were made by S&W and Colt, IMO the Colts are more common.  easiest wat to tell is the cylinder release on the colt gets pulled back on the S&W it gets pushed forward.

1.  Either type should have a 5.5 " barrel and say on the bottom  US Army Model of 1917–– if it does not then it is not army issue though this does not hurt the value much on either.

2.  If it is a S&W make sure it is not Brazilian Brazil made large numbers of S&W 1917s Brazilians are worth about 50% of US 1917s

3.  Also confirm it is 45 ACP and not 455 Eley if a S&W many S&Ws were shipped to england in 455 eley.  These should have british proof marks all over them and say 455 eley on the barrel. (MAYBE)

4.  Grips if original are smooth walnut with no checkering repos are easy to find.

5.  There should be a hole for a layard ring in the butt.  The lanyard ring itself will most likley be missing repoduction lanyard rings are easy to find if the lanyard ring is intact do the happy chicken dance.

Butt markings here

Brazilian crest this would be on the right side behind the cylinder
Link Posted: 8/17/2011 1:04:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Top pistol is a Brazilian Model of 1937 (note the crest).

Bottom is a S&W Model 1917.

I traded an Enfield No. 4 mkI  for the 1917 and paid $175 for the Brazilian about 4-5 years ago.

Link Posted: 8/18/2011 10:53:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I think I my have over Vauled these guns.

The one I asked about in OP is still for sale the guy was out of town..

I have since found two more Simths. One is shooter not ugly for not cherry, not lanyard gouge grips. $500 I think I could talk him down $450?

And the other is an anther Nickle dipped gun $400 this time

Link Posted: 8/19/2011 6:25:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think I my have over Vauled these guns.

The one I asked about in OP is still for sale the guy was out of town..

I have since found two more Simths. One is shooter not ugly for not cherry, not lanyard gouge grips. $500 I think I could talk him down $450?

And the other is an anther Nickle dipped gun $400 this time

$450 is a great price for a tight fuctioning S&W 1917 with a missing lanyard, and repo grips with anything more than 60% blueing.  Nickled guns should be cheaper. Thes guns are  desired enough that S&W makes them in the classic line.

All original colt & S&W 1917s normally run between $750-$900 the highest I have seen was $1200 it was 98% with original belt, holster, ammo pouches, moon clips, and 30 rounds of issue ammo

The cheapest I have seen was $250 it was a few yearsa ago nickled at one point and about 50% of the nickle was gone.  These are not easy to find guns in fact I can say I have seen about 12 in person less than that for sale. This is one of the guns you need the internet to find.
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 9:03:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I just got a S&W 1917 for $200, and a nickeled Colt New Service for $240.  They're out there.  The Smith is almost devoid of finish, and the Colt is an older job, with some "interesting" engraving.  I think any 1917, Hand Ejector, or New Service functional for under $500 is a pretty good deal.
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 12:23:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I just got a S&W 1917 for $200, and a nickeled Colt New Service for $240. They're out there. The Smith is almost devoid of finish, and the Colt is an older job, with some "interesting" engraving. I think any 1917, Hand Ejector, or New Service functional for under $500 is a pretty good deal.

Well I got the Smith,

I am happy, the gun is in good shape for its age. I can see why they Nickeled it. There was some hard to see pitting on some parts..
The barrel does look rough. She was shot with Corrsive ammo as some point and not cleaned well. But there is still rifling and she should shoot weel enough.

I do like this gun, it has a soul and a past.

Where is a good place to pick up 10-20 clips?

Everyplace I see want to rape me on shipping.

Link Posted: 8/20/2011 3:15:08 AM EDT
[#7]
You actually don't have to have the clips with the Smith they have a chamber.  The Colts need the moon clips.    

I have some and can sell them to you at a good price.  Got rid of mine a few years ago. Let me see if I can find them if you are interested.
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You actually don't have to have the clips with the Smith they have a chamber.  The Colts need the moon clips.    

I have some and can sell them to you at a good price.  Got rid of mine a few years ago. Let me see if I can find them if you are interested.

Actually the vast majority of the Colts are machined to not need the clips either.  It's only the first few thousand that were bored through.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 3:52:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I paid $800 for mine, but it is in really nice shape and came with an original holster.

Link Posted: 8/23/2011 11:59:37 PM EDT
[#10]
chas8008  just E-mail me your address and I'll send you about 16 of the three clips ,thats all I have left.

B ob
Link Posted: 8/31/2011 4:32:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I paid $800 for mine, but it is in really nice shape and came with an original holster.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h77/TxAggieA-Batt/SW19171.jpg

That is a cream fuff, I saw just a hoslter sell for $310 this week.
Link Posted: 8/31/2011 4:32:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

chas8008 just E-mail me your address and I'll send you about 16 of the three clips ,thats all I have left.

B ob

Thank yoou sir
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top