Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2016 10:38:58 PM EDT
I want to get another snubby for pocket carry, it's the only style handgun I religiously carried while in my possession. The LCR is a real winner with that trigger and was going to opt for the regular .38 model until I found out they offer it in 9mm. I have gotten rid of all my 9mm handguns except for the piles of ammunition I still have for that caliber, so it would be nice to buy a firearm and already have droves of ammo to feed it.

Who has one and what do you think of it? Would you recommend it over the standard 38 Special model?
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:34:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I am interested in the replies as well. I would like to get one also. The only real down side I see is they are made with the longer (and heavier) .357 Mag cylinder. I know the weight increase is only a little bit but I would have much preferred the lighter .38 Special cylinder.. The cheap and plentiful 9mm ammo is a real plus. ....<><....:)
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 11:05:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the 9mm and the 38. The 38 is lighter due to the aluminum frame, but it kicks less than the steel frame 9mm. The kick of the 9mm is about half way between the 38 and 357.
There is about 4 ounces difference in weight. I have pocket carried both and I don't notice the weight difference. I like both guns.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 3:29:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess the ideal thing to do would be to buy both!!!....<><....
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 3:01:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Not a Ruger, but I have a S&W 642-1 that has been my ankle gun for years. I purchased a converted 9mm cylinder on the EE, and had it fitted to that revolver (dual calibers, with cylinder swap). I've been very happy with it, and it does come in well under the .357 LCR's weight (my father owns one).

Recoil is so subjective that I really don't say one round shoots lighter than another anymore... but I did not have any problems transitioning to the 9mm in regards to recoil. I felt standard pressure 9mm (UMC 115 grain) shot easier than standard pressure .38 Special, which I used to use for practice. I'm not really interested in shooting 9mm +P out of an alloy revolver, but I've talked to people who have done the same conversion, and they did. My carry load for it will be Hornady 147 grain XTP.

Accuracy was fine out of the .38 barrel. Within the first 50 rounds, I was able to do a 2" group at 15 yards... so I shouldn't have any issue with qualifications with practice. The only thing that really will be a big change is moon clips over HKS speedloaders, but I doubt that I'll have major problems. The trigger and controls being identical really is making the transition easier. My other option was a LCR in 9mm, but didn't want to go through the hassle of a new gun/holsters/training, and still have a DAO revolver. If they made a LCRx in 9mm, I probably would have bit the bullet.

The LCR is a very good revolver, and if I didn't have so much invested in the S&W (as mentioned, gear is a part... but training is like 80% of my reasoning; I've been shooting it since mid-2009), I'd definitely would go into it. Whether it is a 9mm, .38, or .357... that depends on you. If you are going just looking to deplete your 9mm ammo, with no intentions of keeping it fed afterwards, get a Glock 19 and shoot the hell out of it before selling it. If you are going to keep it in rotation and fed, it is a very good pistol in 9mm or the traditional revolver calibers. For me, I like magnum calibers... but not a fan of .357 Magnum (I don't think the gains over .38 are worth it... unlike the gains of .44 Magnum over .44 Special... but that is another subject on its own). That is why I went with an Airweight J-frame in .38 Special. If I was in the same boat, I'd opt for 9mm... but I also am issued a 9mm sidearm (and have a SIG P938 as another backup gun). 9mm is so easy to get, and there are plenty of different loads available for specific needs. .38 is similar, but it also started life as a black powder cartridge... which is why you have a round longer than a 9mm, but with barely equal or less power.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 11:41:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry for starting and abandoning the thread. I've been looking and comparing and I went with another moon clipped revolver; the 442. That being said it seems enough people are interested in first hand experiences to keep it going. I may still pick one up in the future all things considered.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 1:55:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I did not enjoy the recoil, so I traded it for a Glock 43.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:51:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Had the .38 and sold it to offload the odd caliber.  Committed to buying the 9mm to replace it as soon it was announced.

I think the .38 had a stouter recoil but more of a push.  The 9mm is a bit more snappy but overall less punishing.  From my memory the trigger and accuracy was slightly better in the .38 that I had.

The 9mm is still a great option and is my only wheel gun.  Ended up carrying the LC9 and now the G43 more than the LCR9 though.

Really can't go wrong with either.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:22:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a $100 gift card for my local gun shop & there is a 9mm LCR in the case for $499. I had been considering getting the LCR to carry & shot the .357 version a few months ago, so I know what I'm getting into. My quarterly bonus will be in next week's check, can anyone talk me out of treating myself to the 9mm LCR?
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:29:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a $100 gift card for my local gun shop & there is a 9mm LCR in the case for $499. I had been considering getting the LCR to carry & shot the .357 version a few months ago, so I know what I'm getting into. My quarterly bonus will be in next week's check, can anyone talk me out of treating myself to the 9mm LCR?
View Quote

Nope! and please report back! My GF and I fingered one today and she really wants one. I think it may be too new to find for rent at a range for her to test drive.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top